• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dogs

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Tracy Martin and I teach the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic in Frederick Maryland. Based on the best-selling book “Total Control” by Lee Parks the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic offers motorcyclists a safe way to improve their riding skills. The skills taught fill the gap between an MSF Experienced RiderCourse (ERC) and a typical track day. Cornering technique is the primary focus of the clinic and the individual skills taught include; throttle control, throttle/brake transitions, corner entry, line selection, body position and corner exit. This class will benefit motorcyclists who ride sport-touring, full-dress cruiser, standard or sport bike types of motorcycle. The ARC techniques vary slightly for each style of bike but all follow the same philosophical principals.

The range portion of the training takes place in a large parking lot where each of the riding exercises are individually explained, demonstrated by an instructor (on a 2005 FJR), and practiced by each student. Working on one skill at a time with constant instructor feedback creates the building blocks for consistent riding improvements. Each skill is built using small two-mph increments until the desired result is achieved. Typical corning speeds never exceed 25 mph, and while this may seem slow, it feels very fast while cornering around a 40-foot circle. All a student’s bad riding habits, and/or fears, will rear their ugly heads but can be addressed by an experienced instructor. This learning technique allows for high rider confidence and never gets too scary.

All students must provide their own bikes and have at least one year of riding experience. For students with less than two years of experience, it is advised (though not required) that they have completed an MSF, ERC. The cost for the eight-hour Total Control ARC is $295, which includes lunch and a workbook.

For 2007 discounts see February 1, post. Other schools will vary in their pricing policies. The “Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic” is now available in Arizona, New York, Chicago and in the Mid-Atlantic. Also, if you don’t mind the drive the class will be offered in the UK and in Russia.

Go to the Total Control website at: <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Total Control Training</span></span> for detailed info and pictures of recent classes.

For specific info regarding classes in Frederick MD, call Tracy at <span style='color:blue'>410-905-1918</span> or send me an email <span style='color:blue'>[email protected]</span>

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wants to try for an all FJR class, I'm signing up for the 10 Jun class in Frederick, MD.

FWIW, I took this class in Anaheim back in November. It's well worth the price of admission but I would recommend reading the book prior to class for maximum benefit.

They have a module on suspension tuning that is very informative. You may also want to make sure you have sliders installed prior to as well. Don't ask. :blink:

Great - after great instruction on the suspension I'm sure I'll have to have Wilbers, etc - where will the $$$$ come from?!

Jim....You'll enjoy the class. I took it last July with Tracy. It's a nice 2 hour ride up there and onthe way back you can practice all the things you worked on all day. If you want to borrow the book let me know. I picked it up at the Borders on 610. A few weeks ago I signed up for a CLASS session at VIR on 18 Sept.....that should be fun.

Dennis

Dennis - Thanks for the offer. Bought the book quite a while ago and have gone through it a few times. That and Twist of the Wrist II. Thanks again Dennis.

BTW, got the Vista Cruise on the bike - stupid easy, but now have to take the grip off again and fiddle f.. around with the grip heater wires so nothing rubs.

I was fortunate enough to have Lee Parks teach the class himself when I went. Now I have an autographed copy of his book! :D

Oh yeah, well I sleep with a beautiful woman every night! :king:

Oh yeah, well I sleep with a beautiful woman every night! :king:
Oh yeah! Well, on the 5 nights a week I'm not at work, I don't get much sleep with a beautiful women. :p

I took the class with Puget Sound Safety in Tacoma WA. Definetly benificial. I too have a signed copy of the book. :p

I have his book, and would love to take the class, but I live in Texas, and haven't been able to locate a local version yet. Maybe some day.

Great Gary - that'll be at least 3 FJRs. 4 counting Tracy Martin's. I'll take a look at a map and maybe we can meet west of here and ride in together. 15, 29? I'll check. Say hi to Penny for us.

I'm actually going to be going up on the 9th and staying overnight at the Frederick-Days Inn. $58 plus tax etc. couldn't see getting up at 3:30 to make it there for 0800. Planning on heading back toward charlottesville (prolly 15 to 29) after the class....would love the company either way (there or back)

Toophast

Penny said hello right back at ya :D

Edit: Tracy said there was still plenty of room in the class if any of the rest of you are willing...git er dun

Great Gary - that'll be at least 3 FJRs. 4 counting Tracy Martin's. I'll take a look at a map and maybe we can meet west of here and ride in together. 15, 29? I'll check. Say hi to Penny for us.
Hey Jim, I'd sign up for that session too, but I'll be in Colorado for a family reunion that weekend. Some other time.

Gary

We had four FJR's in the June 10th class. All had a good time and learned alot. There is still room for the June 24th class. You can sign up at the last minute or pre-register with the college. Hope to see some of you there. Tracy...

I just took the class today. I enjoyed it a great deal, and not just because it's a great deal. While I've been riding on and off for 20 years, and completely on for the last 11, I learned some things and definitely improved at the advanced cornering techniques they teach throughout the day. For instance, I've never hung off a bike before. That's mostly because I don't like to look like a dumbass, and I tend to look that way when I don't know what I'm doing.

Speaking of knowing what you're doing, I've read a lot of books about proficient motorcycling by Hough, Code, Ientesch, et al. There's a big difference between knowing what you should do and doing what you should do. Until this class, I haven't been able to get anyone, let alone an expert, to stand in a parking lot for 8 hours and analyze and improve my riding. For that reason alone, I'd go back and do it all over again. The instructors have so much combined track experience that I'm sure I could go back a half dozen more times and learn significant, though more and more subtle, things.

Those in the MD/VA/PA/WV area should be advised that there are seats in the Frederick, MD class next weekend.

I rate this one two snaps up.

I've read and digested Lee's book, but I really wish they offered this class in the Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas area so I could go to one...

I've read and digested Lee's book, but I really wish they offered this class in the Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas area so I could go to one...
Hmmm. I feel the entrepeneur coming out in me. I bet it would be worth the travel cost for the Total Control ARC to show up at a WFO, WFO-5, even. Maybe we should explore this? I'm sure that many in the FJR community could benefit from this course.