Traffic camera perfomance award

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorfjr

Reaction score
So, while in Arizona for Beemerdons funeral and wake I found out apparently the fine city of La Mirage has a speed camera. They sent my wife a letter in the mail with a nice picture of someone who looks like me driving a car that looks like ours.

Has anyone experienced such a similar circumstance? I remember someone offering advice on how to combat something like this. Do I have any options?

I was in Atlanta for a conference. We were in a downtown hotel that required valet parking because the only parking was several blocks away. Four months later I get a letter demanding $80 for a red light violation. In the letter was a picture of my rental car running a red light, however, the driver was 50 lbs lighter than me and a very dark black man. I do remember that the valet drivers appeared to be from Somalia. I paid the ticket since I was 4500 miles away in AK.

"I'm not convinced I was speeding."

Now there is a defense that would have gotten Charles Manson off.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of those a few years ago. It really irked me because I never had the opportunity to discuss the situation with an officer. I thought about ignoring it, but decided that I would probably be riding in that state in the future, so I paid the fine.

Two things, with a third thrown in for giggles:

1) How does a camera calculate your speed? Multiple exposures with pavement markings to denote distance traveled? If a separate device measured speed (see item #2) how does it tell the camera when to take a photo, and what happens if the "take a photo now" signal is delayed by 500 - 1,000 milliseconds? 45 mph = 66 feet per second, so a delay of ½ second could mean the photo is taken of THE WRONG VEHICLE.

2) Whatever device measured your speed, when was it last calibrated and how accurately?

3) Probably moot, since photo enforcement is in place: How do they prove it was you driving the car? Are they issuing the citation to the owner of the vehicle? So, they have no idea who was driving, eh? And I used to believe you were innocent until proven guilty.

States that use photo enforcement really piss me off because they completely bypass the concept of "innocent until proven guilty". They circumvent that concept by passing legislation that exempts photo-enforced traffic violations from that standard of evidence, and allow citations to be issued against the owner of the vehicle.

Commie bastards.

Look at the document closely. What you have probably received is a "notice of violation", as opposed to a ticket. You are not legally obligated to pay the NOV, no due process. After a few collections letters, they will threaten to report this to the credit agencies, but that is being contested in the courts now as well. Even If u do decide to pay the fee (it's not a fine), it will not count against you on your official driving record.

If what you received is an actual misdemeanor summons, id be interested in knowing that.

Here in AZ they physically send someone to serve you within 90 days. If you can avoid being served for that 90 days, the photo ticket is dismissed. If they can't identify you as the one being in the picture, they are easy to fight here. If you are on a motorcycle with a helmet & tinted visor on, it is nearly impossible for them to convict you, unless you plead guilty yourself, and normally they will never even send it (don't ask how I know
rolleyes.gif
). How they handle out of state, I'm not sure but I would avoid answering your door to strangers for the next 90 days and otherwise make your own call on what to do from there, if ya know what I mean.

Spokane has these cameras in quite a few strategic places. Not only do you get a letter and photo, but also an internet link to view a video of the infraction.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Denver_FJR" data-cid="1295988" data-time="1458263637"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SLK50" data-cid="1295981" data-time="1458263346"><p>Why do you feel you should "combat" it?</p></blockquote>
<br />
Fight every ticket you can! Those you lose will cost you points and higher insurance.</p></blockquote>
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="hppants" data-cid="1295999" data-time="1458265482"><p>Look at the document closely. What you have probably received is a "notice of violation", as opposed to a ticket. You are not legally obligated to pay the NOV, no due process. After a few collections letters, they will threaten to report this to the credit agencies, but that is being contested in the courts now as well. Even If u do decide to pay the fee (it's not a fine), it will not count against you on your official driving record.<br />
<br />
If what you received is an actual misdemeanor summons, id be interested in knowing that.</p></blockquote>
<br />
Curious also. Around by me there's only Red Light Cameras and the vehicle owner is subjected to the fee (plus various surcharges bringing the $50 fee up to $80 total). No points attached and I've never heard of insurance being impacted. Failure to pay means additional late fees along with red flags in DMV's system e.g. not allowing the vehicle owner to re-register the vehicle when the time comes. Might even flag his license renewal also.<br />
<br />
Echoing 'Pants, interested if this is a summons to the driver with points on the line or a violation to the vehicle's owner only.

** Edit: Went back to edit a typo and now you guys have to look at the formatting mess. Sorry. Wish a solution could be found for that.

Just reread and it is a notice of violation. I guess I'm reluctant to admit to the speeding. I may have been but this is the first I've heard of it and without a contact I don't feel they have made enough of a case.

So, while in Arizona for Beemerdons funeral and wake I found out apparently the fine city of La Mirage has a speed camera. They sent my wife a letter in the mail with a nice picture of someone who looks like me driving a car that looks like ours.Has anyone experienced such a similar circumstance? I remember someone offering advice on how to combat something like this. Do I have any options?
You are probably lucky you didn't get stopped after the wake, JSNS

Oh wait, your wife was driving :)

That's too bad Fred, I got nothing to help you out of this.
Maybe slow down...if I recall right, my FJR got its worst mileage ever running with you!! :tonguesmiley:

--G
Makes you wonder how many times Fred should have been busted and got away with it. :) :) :)

Friends wife (we are all from Tucson) got one when she was visiting back there. She ignord it and they have yet to extridite her from OR.

I would ignore it. How can they prove you got the NOV if they don't send certified.