Trip to Indy .....Moto GP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse

Reaction score
I'm riding the Feej to Indy next weekend. Probably up 75 to 24 nwest to Nashville and then on up north to Indy. Two things. Anyone know of any road construction along the way, and anyone have any experience going to the races there and have advice on best place to view the race. I know, the best place is in my living room, but I want to see it in person...................

I'm riding the Feej to Indy next weekend. Probably up 75 to 24 nwest to Nashville and then on up north to Indy. Two things. Anyone know of any road construction along the way, and anyone have any experience going to the races there and have advice on best place to view the race. I know, the best place is in my living room, but I want to see it in person...................

Having been to the F1 race every year until they canceled it, if they use the same track layout then you want to be what would be considered turn 4 for the Indy500. I'd like to think it was section 'J' but that could be wrong, regardless the higher up you get the better as you can see more. Another good spot is what would be the short chute between Indy500 turns 1 and 2, again as high up as possible. If you want to go to the infield get there early cause it was open seating and again you want to be on top of the grass mounds.

I attended the race last year. Indianapolis is very good handling the crowds around the speedway. The best way to enter to the track is come in on 16th street. You can park near the main entrance and purchase your tickets there. The ladies are really nice in there. When I asked if they had any seats left the lady chuckelded and asked me where I would like to sit. My advice is to set in turn 1 area. It has a roof over it and high back seats. Just my opinion. Any other questions just ask.

Medic Man

Man I wish I was going. Had great seats last year in Barcelona. 180,000 screaming Spaniards ... we were at the end of the first straight, but had great views of 2 big screens, as well as a distant view af a far turn...

Race start

first corner

I enjoyed my seats in section J

map-600x312.jpg

I wondered around in the infield near turn 7. Nearing the end I moved to the back straight away and got to see Nicky Hayden go by on one wheel after placing 3rd. It was a fun day.

Scoop

I attended the race last year. Indianapolis is very good handling the crowds around the speedway. The best way to enter to the track is come in on 16th street. You can park near the main entrance and purchase your tickets there. The ladies are really nice in there. When I asked if they had any seats left the lady chuckelded and asked me where I would like to sit. My advice is to set in turn 1 area. It has a roof over it and high back seats. Just my opinion. Any other questions just ask.
Medic Man

+1

Not sure how you are coming in but 465 has been under significant construction all summer. Down to two lanes that shift in many areas with uneven pavement. Once on 16th street, however, it should be smooth sailing. Just your normal race traffic. Should be a lot of bike traffic for the race so hopefully cagers will be on the lookout.

Enjoy the race and Hoosier hospitality!

Medic Man

+1

Not sure how you are coming in but 465 has been under significant construction all summer. Down to two lanes that shift in many areas with uneven pavement. Once on 16th street, however, it should be smooth sailing. Just your normal race traffic. Should be a lot of bike traffic for the race so hopefully cagers will be on the lookout.

Enjoy the race and Hoosier hospitality!
Thanks for the heads up. Another question, My Mapquest directions to my buddies house has me taking 65 north to 465 east to exit 106 which is IN-37N. Any idea if that is where the construction is and if weekends is bad? I'll be passing through sometime Saturday evening.Thanks, J

Most of the construction is on the West side of Indy around 465. If you take 65N to 465E you should be good to go. Sounds like your buddy lives up on the northside? If so, you might want to take Meridian St to 16th Street and go in to the Speedway that route as opposed to taking 465W around to 16th Street to the track. just a thought.

I have one extra ticket. I THINK we're in turn 1, but would have to verify that. I'll be staying at the Westin downtown and can hook up with you somehow to get you the ticket if you're interested. We paid $150 or so for it, yours for half. It includes admission to other events Friday and Saturday as well. Let me ASAP if your interested.

Really, it's available to the first person who let's me know they want it. We'll work out payment arrangements. Most of you don't know me around here, but I think Warchild and Ignacio will vouch for me. Wait, I'm not so sure that's a good thing... :drinks: :exhappysmiley:

Best way to get me is probably to email me at gskitty AT comcast dot net. I'd really like to see someone use this ticket! We bought them for my husband and I to go along with a few friends. He's been called out unexpectedly for work and will be out of town. So it's just me with some friends, and hopefully you!

Last edited by a moderator:
My ticket is at the beginning of turn 1, penthouse B, section 10, row D - PM here or email at address in previous post. I really hope someone will join us!

Moto GP at the Brickyard is a total blast! Indy rolls out the red carpet for riders.

Last year, I saw qualifying from Section J and the race from Section B. Both were really great places to see some action, so I can recommend both. (Section B had some shelter which was much appreciated after being baked the first two days.) Man, I will never forget seeing Jorge Lorenzo dump it early in the race and haul ass from the back of the pack. Although he didn't win, his performance that day was one of the most impressive displays of riding I have seen. But I digress...

Have fun for me, Gents. I will have to sit this year out because I'm getting married on Sat, 8/28. Then, me and the new wife will be loading up our FJR and heading out for our week long honeymoon trip to Deal's Gap and Savannah, GA. You know you've chosen well when your fiancee is excited about having your Anniversary at MotoGP every year.

Have a great trip to Indy! Be sure to stop by Shapiro's Deli on 808 S Meridian St for a World Famous Reuben and Matzah ball soup.

A plug for Hello Kitty: Penthouse B, section 10 is a great place to see the race. Hope someone snatches it up.
Thanks! I am surprised I'm having so much trouble getting a taker on this ticket!
Hey Miss Kitty,

I probably would be interested as long as I can't get a one day ticket cheaper. My original plan was to ride up Friday and be there Saturday and Sunday. That all changed when my wife reminded me that this is the weekend that my son is coming home from NYC. Ooops. Now I am not leaving until mid day on Sat. My buddy and I will just be going to Sunday events. My personal email is [email protected]

Thanks to everyone for your input on my trip. Going solo this time. Perhaps get with a group next year. Looking forward to the ride and it looks like the weather is going to be ideal.

Wow they letting bikes park onh the back part of the oval inside! THAT is pretty cool. Just remember to go to gate 10 from what the articles is saying. See ya'll in Indy...