Triumph Sprint GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Triumph Web Site

SprintGT_Gallery_Large_5_1000x579.jpg

SprintGT_Gallery_Large_4_1000x579.jpg

Looks like a pretty nice Sport Touring package with the emphasis on SPORT as compared to the bigger shafties (K13GT, FJR, C14). Definitely better touring ergos than the old Sprint ST. Probably won't be much good for 2-up with bigger American size people, but with 2 smaller riders or 1-up it should be a blast.

Tank's is a bit small at 5 gals, but they claim a 200 mile range. Smaller engine and chain drive may make that possible. 9500 UK pounds is ~ $13,750. I'm sure these will be discounted heavily if/when they reach the US.

There is something special about the sound of a triple. ;)

Looks like it would be great for carving corners.

Lack of shaft drive prevents it from being a true ST contender in my book. I think this bike leans a little more towards being a sportbike with bags - maybe competition for the Honda VFR.

Nice looking bike with the exception of the dorky mirror/signals.

WJ

In my mind, shaft drive is more of a "touring" bike necessity. Lots and lots of ST bikes have chain drives. BTW the VFR IS a sport touring bike. So was the Blackbird, The Ducati ST2,3,4, the Sprint ST, etc. A sport bike with bags (and slightly better ergos) is pretty much the definition of what a SPORT touring bike is.

The fact that we get a shaft on the bigger STs like the FJR is what places them at the TOURING end of the ST category. I know a lot of people claim otherwise, but if the FJR, ST13, K13GT and C14 aren't at the TOURING end, then what is? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like alot of Sport, not much Tour. Small side bags, small windshield, low bars, high pegs, and chain drive take it out of the touring catagory. That said, I'd like to ride it around for a day or two, and have some fun! I do like the brit trip power plant!

I notice that is the UK website. Will it be sold in U.S.?

It better be a good tourer at 590 lbs.

That's a bit heavy for a sports bike.

Yeah, they definitely porked the Sprint up quite a bit.

The old Sprint ST was only 530 lbs wet (not sure if that was with the bags) and this one is 60 lbs heavier? I hope that isn't right.

I'd say this bike is aimed at that same middle ground that the new VFR1200 is, which confuses a lot of ST riders, especially around here. Go figure... ;)

<snippage>...A sport bike with bags (and slightly better ergos) is pretty much the definition of what a SPORT touring bike is....if the FJR, ST13, K13GT and C14 aren't at the TOURING end, then what is? :unsure:
I'd say this bike is aimed at that same middle ground that the new VFR1200 is, which confuses a lot of ST riders, especially around here. Go figure... ;)
+ 1

It better be a good tourer at 590 lbs.That's a bit heavy for a sports bike.
Triumph should just lie about the weight (it's not like it hasn't been done before)... :(

BTW, I think I like the bike. :)

+1 to the comment that it's a competitor for the new 1200 VFR. But ride one for a day and see how your wrists are. Mine hurt on a 2009.

Regardless, I love the Triumph triple. That engine alone is worth the price of admission.

+1 to the comment that it's a competitor for the new 1200 VFR. But ride one for a day and see how your wrists are. Mine hurt on a 2009.Regardless, I love the Triumph triple. That engine alone is worth the price of admission.
I've ridden VFR's and Triumph triples and the VFR motors win hand down ... the triple sounds/feels like a chainsaw, the veefour had no vibrations and is one of the best sounding bikes on the planet.

But then again, that's just my opinion.

Well, duh, yeah... :blink:

But not everyone can own a Honda V4 and a Triumph triple! [slaps forehead]

|

|

|

V

Ooh, love those triumph triples! I rode a Tiger (common expression these days) and liked it. That motor doesn't pull as strongly as the FJR though. I've been slobbering over an orange speed triple for the past year at our local dealer. I have declined the test ride; best not submit to the temptation.

I'll give this GT a ride though, but I'll wait to see the bigger tourer just in case.

At least it comes in two(!) colours....

I dunno... I'm liking this one a lot.

It's no LD Touring mount, but I'm betting it would take my meager road riding skills and make them seem even better (read funner) in the tight stuff.

Thanks for the CW link.

I've ridden VFR's and Triumph triples and the VFR motors win hand down ... the triple sounds/feels like a chainsaw, the veefour had no vibrations and is one of the best sounding bikes on the planet.
But then again, that's just my opinion.
Exactly why there's apples & oranges.

I like riding Viffers for the handling and smoothness, but my impression is that they are so smooth they have no soul.