twisted sisters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktown

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had some info on the wreck that happpened on one of the Ranch roads near Frio canyon? Traffic was made to turn around and never heard the detail other than rumors.

It was fatal according to an EMS Facebook entry I found. No other information. The Sisters have claimed a lot of motorcyclists over the years. One 12 mile stretch between Vanderpool and Leakey has claimed over ten lives since 2006 alone. I have personally been on a ride where one of our group did not come home. FM 337,336,335 are some of the best and most challenging motorcycle roads around, but they have almost every hazard known except heavy traffic. Very fun, very challenging and not for beginners or inattentive riders.

I flew the Air Force F-111 for 23 years and spent a lot of time at 100ft and 750+MPH. I have to say that riding the Sisters at spirited pace demands as much attention as high speed low level in a Fighter. Seriously...

That said, I ride portions of the Sisters almost every weekend I can and the whole banana at least 4 times a year. All three roads are about 225 miles in total so I can't get them all in every weekend.

They are such good roads that I have completely modified my FJ and SV suspension to cope with them better. They really work a suspension hard and suspension becomes a safety issue. Just got my forks back from GP and a Penske is on the way. Full Race Tech for my SV and a ZX10 rear shock. The best rubber on both.

Of course none of this means anything if I ride "aggressive dumb" as we use to say in the Air Force.

May have been this:

Link

Really a bummer. Yes, those roads can be dangerous for the un-aware. Decreasing radius, blind hills with sharp curves behind them, etc. One of the big problems is that, if you do get hurt, you're a long way from help. I always ride pretty conservatively when I'm out there.

I appreciate the info,it is always tragic to lose a fellow brother.

This was first experience to ride the loop and basically those challenging roads. I rode with a group of seven varities of bikes. I personally found it a challenge and great ride. I agree with the complexity of the roads and diverse terrain. I really do not have a comparison to it so just personal.

We tried to find some info Saturday but was unable on the boob tube in kerrville.

Ktown u outta kerrville? I was born and raised there. Been on the sisters before. Hate to say it but hwy16 between kerrville and medina takes a lot of bikers too. Great ride if one can take ego out of it and know that around every corner is a mobile home comin or a large rock in the road. At least give some time to deal with obstacles or bad road and such.

Ktown u outta kerrville? I was born and raised there. Been on the sisters before. Hate to say it but hwy16 between kerrville and medina takes a lot of bikers too. Great ride if one can take ego out of it and know that around every corner is a mobile home comin or a large rock in the road. At least give some time to deal with obstacles or bad road and such.
Sorry I did not look at this post for a while :blink: No, our group was from the Sherman/Denison-Grayson County. This was my first time to be in the area but the rest had rode the roads numerous years.I agree this is a challenging set of roads but hope to ride again when the wildflowers are in splendor. I noticed hardly one and group the year before said it was spectacular.

Any tips about the area? How about Lost Maples area?