Valve Clearance cost and should it be done?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
I have 34,000 on 2007 FJR. It appears from looking at the Yamaha Periodic Maintenance list that valve clearance needs to be done.

I called local dealer and they want $365.00.

1 - Is that a fair price?

2 - How do I know if I need to get it done? or should I just do it because the maintenance list says?

Thanks

Seems fairly pricey for a valve check, but if this price covers adjustments I'd pay it. Many forum members do their own and I can say thanks to this forum and some of the tech sites that are available it was fairly straight forward.

You're over due and there is now way to know if they need adjusted without lifting the valve cover and checking them with a feeler gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's expensive, and imho, OF COURSE you should have it done. Your overdue.

I don't know how gramps gets it done so cheaply. It costs me $450-$500 at a mom&pop Yammie dealer. But at least I know he does it right. There's a lot going on there. Lots of parts to replace - gaskets and seals, and while everything is open, new spark plugs and coolant.

Price seems very fair considering the labor involved. Checking the valves isn't really that difficult if you're mechanically inclined. A good reason to get to know your machine.

Take a look at threads here or FJR Tech for an excellent how-to on a valve check.

--G

Seems about right for pricing. You do it specifically because it's listed in routine maintenance and ignoring it could lead to more expensive repairs. Trying to second guess the design engineers is penny wise and pound foolish. Without checking there's no way to know if you need adjustments until damage is done and the engine acts up.

I just picked my bike up from storage today from my dealer. Had the valves checked after the rebuild (tick fix) last year and some 45,000 km later. Two intakes needed shims. Valve check/adjust $365

I had the valves checked every 26-28k miles and at 75k for the third time and no adjustment needed that will be my last time. Cost is fair because it is a 5 hour job.

I had the valves checked every 26-28k miles and at 75k for the third time and no adjustment needed that will be my last time. Cost is fair because it is a 5 hour job.
I'm not sure what factors in to some bikes not needing adjustment for 75K and others like mine needing two intakes shimmed at 25K. Do you baby your bike? Just wondering because mines been flogged and bounced off red line since I left the showroom.

Did the tech demonstrate the clearance to you in person? I'd have to say your bike is an isolated case.

I'm not sure what factors in to some bikes not needing adjustment for 75K and others like mine needing two intakes shimmed at 25K. Do you baby your bike? Just wondering because mines been flogged and bounced off red line since I left the showroom.

Did the tech demonstrate the clearance to you in person? I'd have to say your bike is an isolated case.
+1 Mine needed re-shimmnig 2 out of 3 valve checks done every 26-28k. Are you sure the dealer is really doing it? I would never just not do it, maybe extend the interval. I know of FJRs that have had their engines go dead with relatively few miles (75k) due to lack of maintenance.

I checked mine at 24 K , noted the spec there was plenty of clearance. I will recheck at 56 K and see if things tightened . If the clearences are stable it will become tempting to streach the check interval.

Get yours checked.

I have 34,000 on 2007 FJR. It appears from looking at the Yamaha Periodic Maintenance list that valve clearance needs to be done....2 - How do I know if I need to get it done? or should I just do it because the maintenance list says?

Thanks
...there is now way to know if they need adjusted without lifting the valve cover and checking them with a feeler gauge.
You do it specifically because it's listed in routine maintenance and ignoring it could lead to more expensive repairs. Trying to second guess the design engineers is penny wise and pound foolish. Without checking there's no way to know if you need adjustments until damage is done and the engine acts up.
Valve adjustment was way more common before the days of mandatory emission control on I.C. engines. The loss of lead fuel additives combined with the govt.'s mandated minimum duration of compliance rules forced engine manufacturers to get serious with metallurgy in the areas of valve faces and valve seats. Because of this, valve erosion (the main cause necessitating clearance adjustments) has been greatly reduced. Some (w/modern, automotive-type, poppet valve equipped engines -- in general) never check or adjust their valves.

You're welcome

...I know of FJRs that have had their engines go dead with relatively few miles (75k) due to lack of maintenance.
One would assume that noticeable deterioration in engine operation would ensue as valve clearances tightened? Idle speed, for instance -- change in valve clearance would cause valve opening and closing incident times to change and a change in time on seat. Exhaust emissions may change -- the real reason valves and seats got so much better. And, top speed may be down (your own, personal, seat-of-the-pants dyno)?

My stealer wants 5 hours labour to check the valves and more if shims are needed. He says the cam chain will need to be cut if shims need to be changed. (I don't wrench them, I just ride them).

How is this type of service different regards to cost and time intervals from same service being done on BMW (K1300GT or R1200GS)?

My stealer wants 5 hours labour to check the valves and more if shims are needed. He says the cam chain will need to be cut if shims need to be changed. (I don't wrench them, I just ride them).
You're dealer is a MORON or CROOK. RUN, do not walk, away from this fricking idiot and go find yourself a decent one.

Cut the cam chain? That's a first.

Yamaha has a 'book rate' for most maintenance procedures that dealers are supposed to follow. That way everybody's on the same page and customers are not supposed to be screwed. While I don't know what the book rate time is, your dealer sounds high.

Seriously, I would never let him touch any property of mine. Period.

Edit: The guy I use and trust charges 5.0 hours of labor including re-shimming.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is this type of service different regards to cost and time intervals from same service being done on BMW (K1300GT or R1200GS)?
I don't know about the K1300GT, but the R1200GS is a simple and inexpensive procedure due to the type of valve system it has and the fact that they are so easily accessible and to adjust. But the interval is like 9,000 miles. The FJR's 'shim under bucket' allows for a more lengthy valve adjustment interval but is more complicated to perform.

You're dealer is a MORON or CROOK. RUN, do not walk, away from this fricking idiot and go find yourself a decent one.

Cut the cam chain? That's a first.

Yamaha has a 'book rate' for most maintenance procedures that dealers are supposed to follow. That way everybody's on the same page and customers are not supposed to be screwed. While I don't know what the book rate time is, your dealer sounds high.

Seriously, I would never let him touch any property of mine. Period.

Edit: The guy I use and trust charges 5.0 hours of labor including re-shimming.
FJR,

Skooter is right... if this is what you have been told...go somewhere else. They CAN NOT be trusted. Get it done right by the right Serviceman and you're good for another 26k miles.

The job would probably take about 3 hours if NO adjustments are needed and like Skooter said, 5 hours or so if they ARE needed plus any Parts... possible Cam Chain Adjuster, etc with all this at about $75/hour in this area and they vary per area. If you are close to Chicago...perhaps 3X this amount since they do things there like the folks do in Washington DC.

Good Luck with your repairs....

My dealer quoted me something like $650 a few months ago, my heart sank with the realization that I'd have to do it myself.

I'm putting it off right now, ~29,500 miles and counting...

Sure wish you folks were closer, I could use the work. I don,t work any faster but I have no overhead so I work cheaper :)