Various Things You May Want To Know When Riding In Maryland

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
Helmets are required. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1306 ( B) )

Eye protection required unless the motorcycle has a windscreen (undefined). (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1306 ©[1][2])

Helmet speakers are allowed for one ear only.(cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1120)

Hearing protection is illegal unless using custom made earplugs (WTF?) (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1120)

Radar detectors are legal.

20/40/10 liability insurance is mandatory but carrying proof of insurance is not.

No ape hangers. (handlebars no more than 15 inches higher than the seat) (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1305(a))

No lane splitting. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1303(d) - Driving between lanes of traffic prohibited.- A person may not operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.)

No stunting. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1302(d) - "Riding position.- A person may ride on a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on each side of the motorcycle.")

No burnouts. (this is not meant to restrict odot in any way) (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1117 © - "Spinning of wheels.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle in any improper manner intended to cause spinning of wheels.")

No wheelies.

(I used to deliver this anchorman's newspaper)

Right turn on red permitted except where posted otherwise. Of note is that left turn on red is also permitted, but only in the case where you are turning from a one-way street to a one-way street and the turn on red is not otherwise posted are prohibited. This is a big win in downtown Baltimore, about the only place you'll find the confluence of two one-way streets. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-202)

Guns may only be transported directly from home to an authorized dealer, gunsmith, or range and back. No detours, e.g. a meal. Guns must be out of reach and stored separately from ammunition. Guns/magazines may not be loaded while being transported. The above applies unless the person is in possession of a carry permit (carry permits are made of unobtanium in Maryland) or certain federally issued licenses. (cite: Maryland Criminal Code, Section 4-203 (4))

Dangerous weapons: nunchaku, mace, throwing stars, dirk knives, bowie knives, brass knuckles, 10-ton weights (kidding) are prohibited to be carried on the person openly or concealed at any time. Excluded, specifically from the above are "penknives". Any folding knife is a "penknife" in the eyes of Maryland law, and, as such, folding knives are unrestricted as to length. (I run with the Kershaw Skyline as an excellent EDC blade.) Knives may not be switchblade knives (assisted opening with the opening mechanism located on the handle). Bust's deadly gaseous weapon is not specifically labeled a dangerous weapon under Maryland law. (cite: Maryland Criminal Code, section 4-101)

No use of hand-held communications devices. Unfortunately, the use of a hand-held communications device is currently only a secondary offense - meaning officers may not pull offenders over merely for being on the phone. Of course, we all know it takes only seconds of watching, generally, for a cell phone-addled idiot to break some other law, like changing lanes without a signal. Given the rate of violation of this law, I fully expect this to become a primary offense in an upcoming legislative session. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1124.2)

No texting. This one carries a fine of up to $500. It is a primary offense. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1124.1)

No aftermarket exhaust modifications that increase the emitted sound above the OEM part. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 22-609(a, B) )

Speed enforcement is accomplished via all common methods, recently to include automated photographic enforcement (generally only in work/school zones and set, generally, to 12mph over the indicated maximum speed limit.) As of 7/2011, photographic speed enforcement is always indicated by posted signage, usually immediately below a posted speed limit sign. Speed enforcement along I-95 is routine and done by the Maryland State Police using lasers or radar from the median. Pacing by unmarked vehicles is common (always US made vehicles, often blacked out SUVs). Aircraft enforcement is rare, but it is done. Generally speaking, if you're going with the flow in Maryland, you're not likely to get a performance award and 9 over on the highway is generally safe, but don't take it from me - your performance award is your performance award. (I know it's out of my "jurisdiction", but 4 over is about all you should risk in Virginia, and 15 over can land you in jail, there.)

CTs on bikes legal. At least, I am unable to find any law, other than Natural Law, prohibiting the mounting of CTs on bikes.

No Harleys. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1303.1 - "a person may not operate a motorcycle that has a motor with a rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less") (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1117 (d) "Causing excessive noise.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle in any improper manner intended to cause excessive noise.") (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1125 (1) - Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, a person may not drive a low speed vehicle: (1) On a highway for which the posted maximum speed limit exceeds 30 miles per hour" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about time Harleys were outlawed.

Has that decreased traffic congestion in the state?

Edit: BTW, those other laws SUCK. Hearing protection for one ear only? State mandated deafness?? Seems like a personal injury lawyer would have fun with that one.

It's about time Harleys were outlawed.

Has that decreased traffic congestion in the state?

Edit: BTW, those other laws SUCK. Hearing protection for one ear only? State mandated deafness?? Seems like a personal injury lawyer would have fun with that one.
Actually, it's music for one ear only, and hearing protection for NEITHER, unless it's custom made. Of course, that means I can wear exactly one of my spendy, custom-molded Big Ear speakers. That said, I have personal experience not seeing this law enforced. Every time I get a performance award I take off helmet and ear plugs in full view of the officer. I've never heard a word about it (and yes, I meant with the earplugs out).

Traffic sucks on a bone in Maryland, DC, too. Fortunately, I don't miss out, commuting on both the B-town and DC Beltways.

Helmets are required. (cite: Maryland Code of Laws, section 21-1306 ( B) )
Re: MD's neighbor DE...

(from Dealernews)

"Delaware governor vetoes change to helmet law :

Jul 15, 2011, Gov. Jack Markell vetoed legislation Thursday that would have freed adult motorcycle riders from carrying helmets, but mainly because of a quirk in the law.

Delaware law lets riders older than 19 ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet, but they must have a helmet attached to the bike, according to the News Journal.

All House Bill 95 would have done is lift the requirement for riders 20 and older to carry helmets.

Markell acknowledged that the law does not in itself make riders safer, but said the requirement encourages riders to wear helmets."

"Repealing a law that, for more than 30 years, has helped promote the use of helmets that have saved numerous lives is not something that I believe is in the best interest of our state." Markell said.

Is it illegal to ride with your dick out in MD?

I didn't see that specifically mentioned.

Is it true that MD now has speed cameras on I95 and mails out tickets?

In marked construction zones on all interstate highways so I95, I270, I495 etc.
Laws now also allow speed cameras in school zones. New law just took affect that makes it illegal to READ texts while driving. Previous law made it illegal only to send a text while driving.

In marked construction zones on all interstate highways so I95, I270, I495 etc.
Laws now also allow speed cameras in school zones. New law just took affect that makes it illegal to READ texts while driving. Previous law made it illegal only to send a text while driving.
Here in Montgomery County we have speed cameras all over the place not just school zones. All in the name of safer driving (yeah right) can anyone say "new form of tax".