Vffr Squid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
I met a young squid that had a well beaten '02 VFR at the local bank. I said nice bike, and I thought my old man's bike could keep up on the highway. He said no way - he has had the bike up to 186 mph. Well I couldn't top that so we parted ways. I am no squid at 53, but are these things really that fast? I thought that was Busa fast (Oh yeah, He also bragged that HIS new Busa will go 226 MPH.)

He also bragged about riding it that fast on the way to Chicago on 80/94 in the Portage area. No armor, but he did wear a helmet.

Would one of you experts please 'splain how fast those bikes really are?

I met a young squid that had a well beaten '02 VFR at the local bank. I said nice bike, and I thought my old man's bike could keep up on the highway. He said no way - he has had the bike up to 186 mph. Well I couldn't top that so we parted ways. I am no squid at 53, but are these things really that fast? I thought that was Busa fast (Oh yeah, He also bragged that HIS new Busa will go 226 MPH.)
He also bragged about riding it that fast on the way to Chicago on 80/94 in the Portage area. No armor, but he did wear a helmet.

Would one of you experts please 'splain how fast those bikes really are?
A Viffer wouldn't do 186 if you dropped it out of plane. As for a 'Busa doing 226. Not stock. Buddy of mine, Jody (and Trillium for that matter) have turbo'd nitrous injected 'Busa, it'll pull that speed, but stock, it'll still pass the Viffer if you push them out of the plane at the same time :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think if a person wants to lie about how fast they have gone on their bike,at least look up the stats first!

I had a VFR,if I remember right I think they got up to about 135/40(not me,only 110/20-on track days.Wasn't really watching the speedo).

Yeah, these stats say about 149.1 - VFR specs

Crap, my FZ will do 149. :rolleyes: Not that I would know or anything. I just read it on another forum. ;)

Without proof (simply my opinion), I think your FJR would have spanked his VFR. There is just too much power difference and I know his top-end is nowhere near 186. Some people just talk way too much shit.

Without proof (simply my opinion), I think your FJR would have spanked his VFR. There is just too much power difference and I know his top-end is nowhere near 186. Some people just talk way too much shit.
If you check out the back of the motorcycle magazine that publishes facts for the bikes they test (Cycleworld or some such mag) they show the VFR and FJR as pretty equal on acceleration times for 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I forget which mag publishes the stats on the last page but it is one of the popular ones.

Damn! You shoulda told him yours goes 230! On one wheel.

I forgot to mention that he said he had a turbo and some other work done, but I didn't look too closely.

I forgot to mention that he said he had a turbo and some other work done, but I didn't look too closely.
Hmmm..., a turbo on a V-Tec VFR -- wonder how that works...? Could there be a more complicated engine to modify...?

Younger riders (often) tend to talk the talk -- they've learned the lingo. Often, it's a more mature rider who can walk the walk -- think: Burt Munro.

This is readily apparent in 'tuner cars' where alot of sales are in bolt-on, visible, stuff. Not that they (tuners) don't attempt some pretty wild stuff....! But..., turbocharging a V-Tec is a stretch, IMO.

I once was told of a guy who put a Nissan car engine in a MotoGuzzi. I said (something-like), "I'll belueve it when I see it." Well, I did get to meet the guy and the bike was pretty sanitary -- he made a pattern/mold and cast his own adapter for the M-G trans. He was no young'n, tho.... :eek: ;)

I knew a guy that put a Toyota engine in the Simplicity tractor.

Had 3 speeds in reverse and 1 in forward, but it had plenty of power. It about threw him over the hood on the first run. True story.

Arnie Hedlof, funny guy.

Yeah, I think the kid was fulla shit.

Sounds like he was confusing MPH and KPH a VFR would need some serious help to get to 186 , I would love to see the time card, A stock BUSA was road tested at 300KPH I beleieve. . Top speed is easy to reach just change the sprocket sizes and look for a very long road.

One of our younger members stated that he always carries his stuffed dog his father gave him

and always pegs the speedo on every bike he's had.

As I'm riding my 05 and looking down at the speedo doing 90 on the 101 and realizing the top speed on the speedo is 180,

I'm thinking "Is he F----ing Crazy?"

But I've seen YouTube videos of Squids doing 200 + MPH.

NOT ME BROTHER!

Aaaah, Youthfull enthusiasm & hyperbole ain't it great! Sounds to me like you should have given the lad a small lesson in humility & reality! Although I do understand how once having survived the effects of raging testosterone mixed w/ horsepower & stoopudity we can find ouselves restrained by common sense at moments like that [same reflex that restricts us in violent dreams, perhaps].