Wake Up Call

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good reminders! If you've been riding for any length of time, you're going to have something happen sooner or later. I was cruising into Denver on I-25 on a Friday afternoon (bad time anyway) on my SR 500 in '80'. First leg of a trip to Houston. A flatbed truck in front of me about 250 yds has a load of unsecured railroad ties. He hits a good pothole and his load is all over the place! Extreme pucker factor kicks in. Cages going everywhere and I'm in the middle. Made it to the barrier rail in the median somehow with out a scratch. Several cars weren't so lucky. Had to pull over for a while after that one. No brains, no headaches. They just don't think of the consequences. And yes, they are all out to kill us! I always try to keep a BIG cushion area in front of and behind me. If I gotta juice it every once in while for that to happen, so be it. I'll take my chances explaining my driving to the good officer that pulls me over. But that has never happened.

Rant off

Be careful out there! We are all invisible, you know. B)

OK... I'll join in this rant. Why the hell are semi's allowed to use re-treads? I have to dodge those things on a regular basis. :angry03:
I hear ya Southern!!! I was right next to a dump truck on I-65 one day when a inner retread blew. Thank God it was the inner tire and not the outer as I would have been blasted sideways off the bike. As is, I still took debris and just about soiled myself.

Of note, I typically never ride besides or behind such large trucks. This was complete irony that it just happened to let go just as I was making my sprint past. Now, I have to say, I take a closer look for woobly tires before making the sprint past.

I noted a 6x6 18"long in the lane ahead and changed lanes to avoid. A truck with dual rear tires ahead of me barely clipped it and spun the offending agent directly in front of my tire. Split rim but kept the bike up until about 5mph. Very impressive air at 65 mph.

Many years ago I was on a freeway about 10:30 PM, when I thought I saw something in front of me for a split second. I just had time to tap my brakes and then whatever it was was gone. Almost.

The next thing I know my car, a VW GTI, is spinning down the freeway. Somehow I stop without being hit by all the other idiots on the road. Down the road from me is a Corvette that is totaled. Luckily the father and son in the Corvette are okay.

The cause? An eighteen wheeler lost an entire wheel on the freeway going the opposite direction. That is what I saw fly in front of me. The Corvette next to me wasn't so lucky and took two hits. One at the junction of the bumper and hood, and the other at the roofline. When he lost control he hit me and sent me spinning.

The point of this story? Sometimes there is nothing you can do. It was pure luck that that wheel didn't kill anybody. And if you are on a bike and that wheel has your name on it, no amount of gear or skill or technique is going to save you.

I got on the freeway with my bike. There are palets all over the freeway and cars pulled over with damage. I come to the tollgate about 15 miles further. There is a flatbed half full of palets unsecured. I yell at the toll agent. He has the guy pull over for the HP. He gave me one FU look. :bleh:

I was following too close and ran over a 3 inch metal bar. Luckily I kept it up.

One guy was on his beemer and kicked a bolt up with his front tire. The half inch bolt 4 inches long not only flattned his tire, but poked a hole through his rim. Ouch

Yesterday morning I was following a SUV with a small trailor. I guess it dropped a wheel off at the corner and slap wack sparks as the tailgate joined the road. It took a 1/4 mile to get their attention.

Cept for those Eastern European trucks. We don't get many of dose 'round here
LetzRoll:

Hmm...I guess you don't.

Well, imagine having 25% of the trucks on your freeways consist of ...[activate PolitCorrekt filter] non-North American haulers working to impossible deadlines, not bound by limits on the max hours driven and constantly overloaded.

..Oh and the trucks are regularly inspected :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: in their home countries for a nominal fee.

Good thing is, all truck traffic is banned on freeways Sat-Sun during the whole summer. The carnage of years past has not been completely in vain.

Ciao

Stef

On the road I trust truckers far more than I do cagers, except for
* beat up trucks and semis -- especially if I smell burnt rubber or overheated brakes when coming down a grade.

* Eastern European trucks. You don't know whether the guy's even awake/sober or both. Hell, at times he ain't even there. :bigeyes:

In such cases I try to get the hell away from them as quickly as I can.

On the whole, I guess the chances of a truck tire blowing up in my face are far less than a soccer mom swerving into my lane.

Stef
Wait a minute! Youz guys can still 'profile' in Yerup? Cool!

Wait a minute! Youz guys can still 'profile' in Yerup?
You bet your Caucasian ass, we can. :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic:

Try going thru airport security with a towel over your head or just "looking suspicious" and you'll spend some quality time in a booth with a security agent.

Cops do the best they can, it's the judiciary that is full of crap.

Some left-wing judge (99% of them fancy themselves "hermanos" of Che Guevara) recently quashed the conviction of a bunch of North African immigrants caught with maps of strategic civilian targets.

They initially claimed they were "tourists" :haha: ("Look, Muhammad, that building was designed by L Da Vinci, how so impressive, I say!")

Further evidence gathered was more damning, but the good judge introduced the subtle distinction between "freedom fighters" and "terrorists".

Freedom-fighter equals political dissident, so they skated :bigeyes: .

Teerex

Six of us blasting along in Vermont last summer. Some Yuppy tailgating along at over 80mph. He's in a Range Rover pulling one of those little home owner to the dump trailers. We pull over and let him bird dog for us. Big mistake. About 3 miles down the road the bearing on one of the wheels freezes and sends the whole mess fishtailing out of control before the thing detonates. What a mess. Crap everywhere. Nobody hurt. Quite a bit of stepping and fetching though. That trailer probably has a sticker somewhere warning not to exceed 50mph.

Mark

There is a cager syndrome called "Get in front of the BigTruck". I can be going 15mph over the limit and some moron figures because I weigh about 80,000 lbs 'he can't be going that fast'.

Watch your self around tractor trailers as there may be some 4wheeler cutting me off. I won't change lanes (vehicles that have joints don't handle that well & if I hit a car while changing lanes, it's my fault) but I will slam on the brakes (if I hit him it's his fault).

What you have to look out for is that car that just cut in front of me. About 1 in 3 will not stay in front of me (that truck looks real big when it's 3 feet behind you) but will now cut into your lane.

This same thing happens when the car is pulling out of a parking lot, side street, etc. So be careful where you pass that truck.

P.S. When your in your car, remember a trucks' headlights are not eyes. I once had a Cadillac directly infront of me & did not know it untill it pulled away.

Also I've seen more stuff fly out the back of pick-up trucks that commercial rigs. Just becuse you can't see anything in the bed doesn't mean nuthing's coming out.

And Hey, HEY, HEY...Let's be careful out there.

Relavent story from today's paper:
story
Very sad story... I can understand her pain dealing with her daughters recovery.

Some people are not trained in securing loads on non commercial vehicles and that poses a danger for all of us.

Hey 8Ball, poser for ya (and no, I ain't slammin' you). Why do some truckers seem to delight in the following practice:

Picture the I-10 or I-15 west/south of Phoenix/Vegas - heavy truck routes, two lanes each way. A line of trucks is in the right hand lane in drafting mode, I'm a click or two behind, coming up fast, lights on (VW). Just as I catch the pack and signal to pass, the last trucker in line pulls out, blocks me and then proceeds to drive a mere 1 mph faster than the trucks he is 'trying' to overtake.

Is this a game to wile away the hours of boredom, do these folks just no give a crap or what?

Again, I'm not looking to bust your (8 :D )Balls, just looking for some trucker insight...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... I'll join in this rant. Why the hell are semi's allowed to use re-treads? I have to dodge those things on a regular basis. :angry03:
I agree, those things I call ROAD GATORS will ruin your day if you tag one.

Idiot contractors in a hurry to get home.....ladders, bags, trees, shrubs.

Soccer moms with the Escargo's bouncing on top of the van.

Weekend warriors loose lumber and PVC constantly.

And, you can bank on lawn furniture and swimming pools at the first of each month when everyone moves residence.

Lets be careful out there !!!

Hey 8Ball, poser for ya (and no, I ain't slammin' you). Why do some truckers seem to delight in the following practice:
Picture the I-10 or I-15 west/south of Phoenix/Vegas - heavy truck routes, two lanes each way. A line of trucks is in the right hand lane in drafting mode, I'm a click or two behind, coming up fast, lights on (VW). Just as I catch the pack and signal to pass, the last trucker in line pulls out, blocks me and then proceeds to drive a mere 1 mph faster than the trucks he is 'trying' to overtake.

Is this a game to wile away the hours of boredom, do these folks just no give a crap or what?

Again, I'm not looking to bust your (8 :D )Balls, just looking for some trucker insight...
I'll take this one...

I cant understand that either!! 75% of the trucks on the road are owned by Swift,Schnieder,J.B. Hunt, U.S Express and Werner. They have a top speed of 68 MPH. They try do pass another truck that is set at 67 and the drag race is on! This is really bad in California, But it happens anywhere there is alot of traffic.

I am set at 72 MPH and i will admit to trying to pass them too, But i will look behind me and see whats coming up. Sometimes, I will get beside another truck and they will speed up to match my speed... This pisses my off!! The trucks in Cali are rude for the most part because of all the frustration involved with:

1. 55 MPH speed limit

2. restricted to the 2 right lanes (cali only)

3. people cutting 3 lanes of traffic to hit an off ramp.

4. Pulling in front and slamming on the brakes

The list goes on... But "I" try to give courtesy to all the motoring public.

I was born and raised in Escondido Ca and i am used to this fast paced eratic driving style here.

I cant speak for all trucks on the road, But i have been out here for 9 years and have 1 million safe miles under my belt... Alot of close calls, But no accidents...YET!

I hope i can help others to understand what we have to deal with everyday.

Adam

I drove big rigs for a while. I would have cars drive next to me for miles. I couldn't figure out if they ignorant or just f.....g stupid :dribble: . I don't spend any more time than necessary near vehicles with more lug nuts than I'm running.

In most accidents, he with the most lug nuts wins (The Lug Nut Law).

Hats off to truckers. The price of fuel, road taxes out the ass, and rude 4 wheelers.

Truckers supply the country and I try to be aware of their challenges while on the bike or in the cage. Most truckers think a blue bike is a squid though.

There is a cager syndrome called "Get in front of the BigTruck
You got that right. People are some stupid. The majority of people just cannot drive. I even get that in my pickup when I'm speeding.

"Godamn Ethel, thars a truk, me gonna pass him, cuz.....hes a truk"

Every other vehicle is driven by a pathetic idiot that's trying to kill you.