What direction does the starter turn?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had starter trouble and got it rebuilt.  Then this:

So I sent the starter off to a powersports starter guy that Prof 'beam recommended.   I got it back and today reinstalled it in the bike.  Before putting all the other stuff on above it I thought it might be wise to put some power to it to verify it would turn the engine over.   I went direct to the starter with jumper cables as the bike electrics aren't hooked up.  The motor spins alright but the engine does not turn over.   I seems to me the motor is spinning the wrong direction.  I believe the starter is in correctly.  When the starter is out I can reach in to turn it gear one direction.  I can't turn it the other.  I assume thats the clutch mechanism that engages the starter shaft.

Has anyone who has had the starter out ever looked to see what way the starter rotates on the bench?

I didn't see anything in the shop manual.

Looking at the starter from the shaft end, it turns clockwise.

Thanks

OK, call off the dogs, I may have solved it. when comparing the starter today to pictures I took of it prior to disassembly I noticed the center body of the motor was backwards.   Figuring that might have something to do with it, I took it apart and reversed it.  Put it back together and it spins the other direction!  Put it in the bike and now it makes proper noises when I put power to it.  Yea!

Interesting. Had replaced brushes and cleaned up the internals of starter on my 07 couple of years back and paid particular attention to the orientation of the ends wrt the main body rotation wise, as advised by many good sages on this forum.

All was good on reassembly. Never knew incorrect assembly could lead to reverse rotation! 

Glad you got it sorted.

The stuff you can learn here is infinite!