What do you make of this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearman

Reaction score
Took a sweltering 300 mile ride today and discovered a small puddle of gear oil had leaked within minutes of returning home. Then a second puddle after I parked the bike in the garage. It appears to have come from a drain hole in the swingarm. After it had cooled some I checked the level and it was filled to the bottom of the threads. When I had the tires installed the dealer checked the splines for lube and I assume checked the oil level. Could they have overfilled it?

gearman - Was it you that had other spillage issues on another fluid??? Maybe not.

Gunny above, watch that carefully and see if it keeps ooozing. If so you gots probs. Could be as simple as they didn't replace the crush washer. It is tight isn't it...?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's coming out of the weephole in the frame doesn't that mean an internal seal is leeking?

Not to scare you or nothin. I could be wrong but i thought this was just discussed recently.

Jeese, there is some weird advice coming from this thread.

ANY gear oil leakage is NOT normal and should be cause for concern. That being said, I have only heard of one or two 'quick' leaks that posed an immediate threat. Usually they are 'weeping' seals that leak slowly and just cause a mess. Still, they can get worse.

Rarely do these seals leak enough to cause a puddle on the ground. In your case I would be concerned and keep a very close eye on it to make sure it doens't get significantly worse or let go completely.

If it's coming through the swingarm weephole, that's the usual case we see around here and it's one of your seals. Most likely the 'coupler' seal. Search and you'll find some other threads, even one where I provide a diagram. I (as well as others) had this seal replaced due to it weeping and letting small amounts of oil through. I had it replaced at 110k two years ago, and I am having it replaced again on Wednesday. Those that saw my FJR at WFO saw how dirty the rear wheel and final drive were.

No, it's really not possible to overfill the rear gear with oil. But a little leakage will go a long way so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent write up SkooterG! Due to the mileage (<8K), I believe it is the seal between the driveshaft and coupler. I'm fairly certain that the dealer service was the cause of the leak but I think I'll take care of it myself.

ANY gear oil leakage is NOT normal and should be cause for concern. That being said, I have only heard of one or two 'quick' leaks that posed an immediate threat. Usually they are 'weeping' seals that leak slowly and just cause a mess. Still, they can get worse.

Rarely do these seals leak enough to cause a puddle on the ground. In your case I would be concerned and keep a very close eye on it to make sure it doens't get significantly worse or let go completely.

If it's coming through the swingarm weephole, that's the usual case we see around here and it's one of your seals. Most likely the 'coupler' seal. Search and you'll find some other threads, even one where I provide a diagram. I (as well as others) had this seal replaced due to it weeping and letting small amounts of oil through. I had it replaced at 110k two years ago, and I am having it replaced again on Wednesday. Those that saw my FJR at WFO saw how dirty the rear wheel and final drive were.

No, it's really not possible to overfill the rear gear with oil. But a little leakage will go a long way so to speak.
Thanks for the info Skoot.

I think I found the culprit.

seal2.jpg

seal2zm.jpg

I'll have to let the dealer off the hook on this one because there was no evidence they had removed the driveshaft from the coupling. I spent over an hour today trying to locate someone who had the seal in stock...no such luck. I'll order it tomorrow from a local dealer and have it shipped red label. While I have it apart I might as well inspect/clean the universal joint. Thanks to all the great FJR folks who have taken the time to document their repair and maintenance experience.

While it's apart I might as well takes some measurements to machine the tools required to disassemble the pinion from the coupling and remove the pinion carrier.

While it's apart I might as well takes some measurements to machine the tools required to disassemble the pinion from the coupling and remove the pinion carrier.
Good stuff! This kind of thread is the reason I keep coming back to the forum...

When I disassembled the shaft from the coupler I noticed what seemed to be moly paste on the seal and dark, thick oil on the splines. There was also an excessive amount of lube applied to the universal joint splines as it was caked inside of the guard/covers. I deduced that someone, likely not a dealer tech, serviced the drive at some point in time. They probably coated the spline with the moly paste which is unecessary. A tech would have lubed only the seal contact area with light grease. How they managed to hole the seal is still a mystery to me.

BTW, the $16 seal ended up at $65 due to "special handling" charges. What are you gonna do? I want to get it back together tomorrow and put some local miles on it Friday to make sure all is well before riding any distance this weekend.

Well, here's what I came up with. I'm 99% sure these will work on the 03~05's and mdisher is going to try them out on his 06. Judging by the shared part numbers, these should also work on most Yamaha final drives (Vmax, Venture, Virago and maybe some atv's and watercraft as well) from 1990 on. Once I determine they work, I'll put a loaner or two in circulation.

When I disassembled the shaft from the coupler I noticed what seemed to be moly paste on the seal and dark, thick oil on the splines. There was also an excessive amount of lube applied to the universal joint splines as it was caked inside of the guard/covers. I deduced that someone, likely not a dealer tech, serviced the drive at some point in time. They probably coated the spline with the moly paste which is unecessary.

These were under lubed from the factory and most (if not all) owners pulled the shaft out and found the splines rusted so moly paste on the splines is a good thing, I'm sure some one can post the links on this.

Not weird advice at all Mr. Admin.

1) It IS very possible to overfill a differential.

2)I read drain hole, but interpreted vent hole, my mistake...(also missed the part about it being in the swing arm)

3)Another reader read drain hole, and interpreted drain hole, thus the crush washer advice, and the question mark after the tight? comment.

4) NOBODY read "weep hole"

Now, admittedly, your advice was the best here, but calling others "weird" is quite insulting.