What Is Surging, Exactly?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Fellas,

Many people have posted about the bike's lean mixture, resultant surging and heat. Naturally, many have fixed it by richening with a PCIII or by Barbarian mod and bumping the CO points.

I did the jumper but have not changed the CO points or bought a PCIII yet. The reason is: I am not sure there is any problem!

The bike is hot, that's a given, but it is very bearable, especially since I live in South Florida where it is ~95 degrees and 100% humidity regularly during the summer.

But in terms of surging, I don't really think it is happening. On constant RPM coasts, the bike feels smooth, doesn't lurch or pause, and it sounds consistant. It seems the same at a low RPMs as well as higher ones. The throttle response seems OK, other than hard blips from idle in neutral often make the motor stutter before spinning up. What would it feel like if it were surging? Should I try bumping the CO or just leave it alone? Anyone in Fort Lauderdale area have a modded one or one with a PCIII for comparison test ride?

-BD

To experience surging, try cruising at 35 mph in 4th gear on a level roadway. The on-off nature of the engine at this speed is the surge.

Last edited by a moderator:
BD, I am in Orlando and I just installed a PC3 a few days ago. It didn't resolve the neutral throttle blip stutter, but I do feel as though it made a difference. It feels stronger in the midrange, rolling on the throttle at 40-50mph just feels stronger and more immediate speed increase. Not enough to make me think it was the best $300 farkle for the money, but I do like the improvement. Will try a few other maps when I have a chance to give them a good test ride.

Just FYI, headed to the Keys mid September with a large group from Orlando.

Are you going during the Poker Run (Sept 17/18th)? How many FJRs? I am going for that, figure I will be an outcast on a "Jap" bike.

-BD

BD, yes, I am going then. I sent you a PM to keep this thread on topic.

Well, spine, if you go, you'll be easy to spot: An 05 with Blue Flames, and hopefully the chick in your avatar on the back with the same dress on.

-BD

First gear, just off idle, 90 degrees in road construction traffic. Thats where the surging will DRIVE YOU NUTS. Its feels like your towing the car behind you and the slack rope tightens up pulling on the bike slowing it down slightly.....over and over. Annoying.

Before I added a PCIII my surging was so bad that at night you could see the headlight bob up and down as it surged. Pull the clutch in and the headlight was stable, let the clutch out and bobble again. After the PCIII I can still feel surging but it is down to a tolerable level.

Alan

I would expect some bounciness rolling at near idle. I don't think this is surging. High power/weight ratio vehicle will do that no matter what. I think you have to be at some appreciable engine speed to call it surging.

I will try the 35 mph and 3 or 4th gear and report back.

-BD

At 35 mph, I'd be in 3rd gear.
The question asked was "what is surging", not "what gear would you suggest I use at the average street speed limit posted in most metropolitan areas".

At 35 mph, I'd be in 3rd gear.
The question asked was "what is surging", not "what gear would you suggest I use at the average street speed limit posted in most metropolitan areas".
Yea, true. But I know your response was really a thinly disguised cry for help with gear vs. speed questions. It's ok, rad, we've all been there, and we're here for you. ;)