what to buy and where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full House

Reaction score
I want to get sliders, fenda extenda and helmet lock and powerlet. Not sure what brand sliders to get, I see ones with sturdy brackets and ones for $40, Pyramid Plastics seem to be the only supplier other than carbon fiber (which I like, but not sure I want to spend that much) and I have been reading the forum regarding options for helmet locks. I have rec'd an e-mail back from Townsend, just need to decide what I'm going to do there. I hate spending a bunch on shipping from muliple suppliers. Any suggestions on reliable, affordable suppliers will be welcomed.This is all for a 2010 FJR

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out:

CalSporTouring

Farklemasters

Bike Effects

One of the better frame sliders - Motovation note the collars to allow full torquing to specs. The cheap ones are just plastic w/no collar.

Typically the cheap $40 sliders are made from Delrin, which is a plastic with self lubricating characteristics, but is subject to cracking and breaking. It's a toss up on whether the slider will grind down or snap off. The better sliders use UHMW which also has self lubricating characteristics, (good for high friction situations), but has fiber content and is softer than the delrin. The combo of fiber and softness means that it performs in a friction environment comparable to delrin, but is much less prone to fractures. I'm a machinist and have worked with both materials for manufacturing, and seen various failure modes.

I've also field tested a set of high quality R&G sliders on my '04 at about 35 mph. They did the job they were supposed to and I ordered another set. If there's a next time, I will probably get the Motovation ones as I believe they are comparable quality at a better price due to not having them shipped from the UK, like my last set of R&Gs.

And don't forget to check out the vendor feedback section of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I may have a couple of "off brand" Marine grade powerlets layin' here somewhere.. They be singles with 15 amp breakers..

Shoot me a pm if yer interested.

:jester:

Check out:
CalSporTouring

Farklemasters

Bike Effects

One of the better frame sliders - Motovation note the collars to allow full torquing to specs. The cheap ones are just plastic w/no collar.

Typically the cheap $40 sliders are made from Delrin, which is a plastic with self lubricating characteristics, but is subject to cracking and breaking. It's a toss up on whether the slider will grind down or snap off. The better sliders use UHMW which also has self lubricating characteristics, (good for high friction situations), but has fiber content and is softer than the delrin. The combo of fiber and softness means that it performs in a friction environment comparable to delrin, but is much less prone to fractures. I'm a machinist and have worked with both materials for manufacturing, and seen various failure modes.

I've also field tested a set of high quality R&G sliders on my '04 at about 35 mph. They did the job they were supposed to and I ordered another set. If there's a next time, I will probably get the Motovation ones as I believe they are comparable quality at a better price due to not having them shipped from the UK, like my last set of R&Gs.

And don't forget to check out the vendor feedback section of the forum.
OK thanks for the info, especially on the sliders. The FJR forum has so much info, I have not had the chance to see it all. I guess I need to look more before asking.

IMHO and others, T-rex and cheap ebay sliders are crapola...

P1060081.jpg

Here's why:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry481348

mostly 'cause they have to metal insert support for the mounting bolt which deforms and stresses the slider material when torqued

Mostly, you get what you pay for...

Get some OES which are a big bang for the buck -> https://www.oesaccessories.com/06-08FJR1300.html

OES, Motivation, and R&G sliders are quality and proven to work

yeah spends ya moneys and ya takes ya chances...

FWIW, on the fender extenders, there are only two, Pyramid Plastics and OCC carbon fiber. I have the later, bought before the former was available. both are good items. I drilled and bolted mine on and it's never been an issue. Some glue the PP one on and on rare occasions they have popped off. It depends on the quality of preparation and gluing. Sand too little and the glue won't bond well. Use ABS glue and primer and sand all the paint off and it will be permanent. Or just RTV and a couple of bolts & nylock nuts.

Powerlets - Jastek a.k.a. Powerlet Products are the best. You don't have to buy a 'kit', you can just buy the individual items and roll your own set up for cheaper. Only get the kit if that's exactly how you want to do it. I have two powerports in the 'D' dash panel. One switched and one unswitched.

I know it would be simpler if you could just order it all from one place, but I don't think that's possible. Maybe Farklemasters.

Well .... I've had 2 stand-still tip overs, Garualds auxillary light brackets took the hit on both (one right & one left) with no other damage ... ok ... maybe a few minor scratches ... My recommendation? Get his light brackets! :unsure: