What's your favorite wheel cleaner?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't mean to hijack the subject from the dead dog to wheel cleaners, but WD 40 works great. Cuts grease, doesn't harm paint, prevents rust, smells good on your hands and improves your sex life. Removes chain lube easily from rims on chained bikes.

Don't mean to hijack the subject from the dead dog to wheel cleaners, but WD 40 works great. Cuts grease, doesn't harm paint, prevents rust, smells good on your hands and improves your sex life. Removes chain lube easily from rims on chained bikes.

BINGO! We have a winner!

WD40 is a bike's best friend.

BINGO! We have a winner!

WD40 is a bike's best friend.
It's really fun when you let it dribble down onto the tread. Makes that first turn a real hoot! :good:

No biggie. Just need before WFO. :)
Frigging TWN :angry2: ....such a slave driver....yet so nice....in a totally evil.... bent....sarcastic sort of way :p ...his parents are very proud.... :D ....though not as much as his fanclub :fans: :drinks: :dinamo: :bad: :bad: :bad: :friends: :fuck: ....we now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

I mix simple green 50/50 with water.
I would caution anyone strongly against using Simple Green in any dilution on a motorcycle with aluminum components.

Simple Green is HIGHLY alkaline, (which is why it works so well as a degreaser). It can and will cause aluminum corrosion to begin. I have personally seen Simple Green remove painted on lines off a plastic headlight guard. I can tell you that this stuff is a big no-no on aircraft and has been found to contribute to hydrogen embitterment of aluminum components. You probably won't see any affects right away, but the corrosion process will begin as soon as it touches any unprotected aluminum. If you notice a white powder when removing bolts, this is evidence that aluminum corrosion is taking place.

Boride and chloride are also big no-no's on aluminum. Also, this is a good place to mention why you should never use tap water in a vehicle with an aluminum cooling system or heads. Most city tap water has been treated with low levels of chlorine in it, and this will cause corrosion all through the cooling system. Always use distilled water in your radiators.

When cleaning your bike, try to use the MILDEST cleaning agent you can in a highly diluted form. Stay away from strong cleaning agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn airline people.....always tellsing us what we cants and cants do. <_< I cants brings me torch with me when me flyses.....I likes green.

I use 1Z rim cleaner.

32_0970710.jpg

Don't know if it is available in the US, but it is fantastic stuff. Spray on, let it sit for 10-15 mins and rinse of with water. Result is a rim so clean and shiney as if it is sitting on the showroom floor with 0 miles on the clock. No more elbow grease for me when cleaning my rims or trying to get my fingers in all the nooks and crannies around the hub.

I mix simple green 50/50 with water.
I would caution anyone strongly against using Simple Green in any dilution on a motorcycle with aluminum components.

Simple Green is HIGHLY alkaline, (which is why it works so well as a degreaser). ......
Well, maybe it does. But I still swear by Simple Green. I have tried a mirad of other automotive spray on cleaners and they all worked but were so strong or caustic that they would damage the finish on the bike. (Destroyed a set of annodized rims with Castrols product).

Simple Green is the mildest (non corrosive) yet strongest (best cleaning/degreasing) I have found. And its biodegradable. So I can wash the bike on the lawn and the cleaner wont kill the grass. I can spray it on the bike full strength and it wont damage the paint or the metal.

When I go to wash the bike the routine is:

- Spray full strength simple green on all the lower bits. Rims, forks, brake calipers, inside the hub, etc. All the places that are hard to reach with your hands.

- Wait about a minute.

- Hose the entire bike off.

- Wash bike hot soapy water. Big bucket, hottest water you can stand and add a ton of sunlight dish soap. Get a big soft rag and use it to slop it on and wash the entire bike top to bottom.

- Hose Thoroughly

- Dry by hand before it air dries and leaves water marks.

Almost 2 years old and washed every couple of weeks. No signs of any wear or corrosion.

Just my $0.02 worth

- Colin

I can spray it on the bike full strength and it wont damage the paint or the metal.When I go to wash the bike the routine is:

- Spray full strength simple green on all the lower bits.
You won't ever catch me using it on my bike.

Don't use that purple stuff, either (forget what it's called.. I NEVER use it). It eats aluminum, too. Another high alkaline, I suppose? Seems it's for sale everywhere I go around here. Bad, BAD cleaner.