Where are the steering head stops?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
After my get off a month ago I just got my FJR back (bought it back from Progressive for $900). Parked it in the garage and the handlebar when turned to the left is almost touching the tank, misses by maybe 1/4". The other side seems to be fine from what I remember.

So, where is the steering head stop on this thing? I can't see anything broken, but it's definitely fubared. I had thought that the bike did not hit on the front end, only on the bottom. Guess I will have to revisit that theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
The steering stop is on the bottom of the neck. This is a pic of the one on the XS, but its in the same place as the FJR's.

DSC_4560.jpg

The lower tripple tree has protrusions that hit the stop to stop handlebars from turning.

Yup I see it now. Well that's interesting because it looks like the stops are still there on the triple tree and the frame. Don't see any sign of impact on them at all. Something is tweaked somewhere, just not seeing right now. Triple tree and handlebars look like they are lined up alright, don't see any cracks or bends there. Will have to look again tomorrow with fresh eyes.

Are your bars actually mounted symmetrically? GenII has adjustable bars, maybe left is mounted back relative to right, and you've gotten accustomed to it.

Are your bars actually mounted symmetrically? GenII has adjustable bars, maybe left is mounted back relative to right, and you've gotten accustomed to it.
Nope, they're symmetric. I wondered if the bars might have moved, but don't see any signs of movement where they attach to the triple tree. Might have to take another look at halftime, this is starting to get intriguing, in a possibly really expensive sort of way.

EDIT: I'm as blind as a bat - the bars are tweaked. The Gen II's have adjustable bars via a metal plate below the triple tree. The left bar is slightly rotated, best guess is that metal plate is bent. There is also a pin that locks the bar in place, can't wait to see what happened to that. Didn't see any sign of impact on the bar end, but in closer inspection the bolt hole in the bar end is wadded with dirt. Must have landed directly on it.

Look to see if some wiring is binding, I had that problem after the dealer fixed the ign switch-too many tie straps.

When I pulled the left bar the retaining pins were bent and the holes they go into were elongated. I could have just realigned the bar and went with it, but I am replacing the triple tree and left bar.

Grandma always said you have to look with a looking eye, and I've always been miserable at it. :) Once I got over the fact that bar end didn't get scraped at all and actually looked at the bar the problem was pretty obvious.