Where There Is A Will ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyBikes

Reaction score
Have been enjoying the beautiful byways of Utah for the past three days.

While in a service station in Duschene, UT on Route 40, I saw a most unusual bike and trailer combination arrive and had to talk to the rider to learn more.

He was an older adventuresome Australian towing a 17 ft. row boat with his Buell motorcycle from Pennsylvania to Washington, and then going north to Anchorage, AK to fish with a friend. Already, he had survived snow storm in Ohio, fought headwinds in Oklahoma that hurled tumbleweeds down the highway head on, enjoyed the Million Dollar Highway of Colorado with rig in tow, and was then fending off the cross winds of eastern Utah that wanted to put the boat off the road.

Cannot imagine how the trailer will survive the road to Anchorage, but am convinced the rider and bike will do just well. (Hope images from postimage.org appear ok.)

He's on advrider.com and is writing a great ride report there. Interesting fellow for sure!

I hope the clutch and transmission can handle it. Not directly because of the weight but pulling that into a headwind has to cause some serious wind resistance. A cross-wind would be a handling nightmare. Maybe Buell made their drive train out of tougher stuff than Harley but I seem to remember a story about a new Harley being denied warranty service because he had a large American flag flying from his bike.

Best of luck to this guy!

A headwind is one thing, a strong side wind, coming from your right, while you pass a semi on his left side, while towing a canoe/sail is something else entirely. I've almost lost it without a sail behind me as the semi blocked out the wind and then the wind hit me again as I passed it.