Where to ride while visiting AZ May 29-June 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the occasional gravel in the road on 191, watch out for cars making left hand turns into pull offs in the middle of blind curves.

I need to start from and finish in Tucson (or Phoenix). How about from Tucson, go east on I-10 to 191 north, to Alpine, 180 east/south through Luna, NM, 78 west to Three Way, 191 south to I-10 back west to Tucson. Or, for the return loop continue up 191 to Springerville, take 60 west to Show Low, down to Globe, then 77 south to Tucson? That variation is only about 15 miles and 25 minutes longer, or should I not ride through the Fort Apache Reservation?
Word of Warning regarding riding a motorcycle through ANY of the Arizona Tribal Lands: Stay within the posted speed limits, they love writing we white eyes tickets.

On the San Carlos Apache Reservation there is a Policeman that we call "Officer Friendly", he has ticketed FJR Forum Riders so often we know him too damn well!

I hear Tortilla Flats is a nice ride. I might be heading up there today. I've never been, so I can't say for certainty how the ride is. I've read mixed reviews on the food.

Tortilla Flat is AWESOME! Great chili. The problem is the road is in absolutely horrendous condition. I used to ride out there several times a year. But because of the road I haven't been there in several years now.

And I have never had an issue with the Po-Po on any of the Indian Reservations.... I rarely ever see one.

While southbound on 191 last fall, I came upon a BMW sport bike that had just low sided on a left turn with a big drop off on the right. He had hit some of the cinders near the right edge of the lane (which are invisible ) and it instantly went down with him trying to get his leg out from under the bike. I arrive a minute later and helped him right the bike and whack away at the shifter to get it to at least give him a chance to ride it. He was pretty shaken up, the shifter had gouged about 30' of asphalt and his protective gear helped a lot, except that his left arm took a beating with rash and brushing thru the gear. But he was lucky, had he high sided, it would have been over the edge and down a couple of hundred feet probably taking the bike with him and not giving me a visual clue to his predicament. I stayed with him until he was calm enough to get on and ride to Clifton and then head lunch with him to ensure he was not shocky.

Tortilla Flat is AWESOME! Great chili. The problem is the road is in absolutely horrendous condition. I used to ride out there several times a year. But because of the road I haven't been there in several years now.And I have never had an issue with the Po-Po on any of the Indian Reservations.... I rarely ever see one.
I just got back and the roads aren't any better. It would be a great ride, but the condition of the road just killed it for me. Still, have a fun time. The display was reading 104°. It was a hot one today.

Did you go past Tortilla Flat? The road gets good for a few miles. They have been due to repave that road for years. Wonder when they finally will do it?

Good for you, Bikerskier, for helping out that rider and staying with him long enough to recoup and making sure he was really OK. You have a payback coming!!

Allen, 191 is a definite must in AZ. You get a real sense of, arguably, "the" best road in AZ. Don's suggestion of the Salt River loop to Globe, Show Low and Payson would definitely be another favorite. Good luck on your trip.

Did you go past Tortilla Flat? The road gets good for a few miles. They have been due to repave that road for years. Wonder when they finally will do it?
Nope, it was just a quick trip up and back with a quick bite to eat. Couldn't wait to get back and out of the heat.

Good for you, Bikerskier, for helping out that rider and staying with him long enough to recoup and making sure he was really OK. You have a payback coming!!Allen, 191 is a definite must in AZ. You get a real sense of, arguably, "the" best road in AZ. Don's suggestion of the Salt River loop to Globe, Show Low and Payson would definitely be another favorite. Good luck on your trip.
+1, Gunny; great work Bikerskier, Ralph you are indeed a Good Man!

@Bikerskier, kudos to you for being a good Samaritan.

@TS, I will do a write up of the different routes I try.

One question for the locals, when did hwy 288 (running south through Young then to the east side of Roosevelt Lake) lose its pavement!? That was a huge disappointment that it had sections paved but was mostly unpaved.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bikerskier, kudos to you for being a good Samaritan.
@TS, I will do a write up of the different routes I try.

One question for the locals, when did hwy 288 running south through Young then to the east side of Roosevelt Lake) lose its pavement!? That was a huge disappointment that it had sections paved but was mostly unpaved.
Allen_C, I am not following you Brother; I believe you are thinking of AZ 188! When I moved to Arizona in 1990 ALL of Highway 288 was unpaved from Highway 260 to Roosevelt Lake, these photos below were taken this January just a month before my Motorcycle Crash on 2/15. Over the years the State and Counties have been slowly but surely paving 288 in small sections!

From Goldfield Chevron, through Superior and Globe, to 288, and on up to Young, it was a great ride to the Antlers Grill for lunch! It was a bit cold, but it felt pretty good after the incessant heat of summer. The food was great at the Antlers, as usual. Peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert. Mmmmmm!

Then, Don, Hal, and I continued through Young up the 288 to the 260, through Payson, to the 87, to home.

On the 288, me in front, Don second:

Closeups:

Me:

Don:

(Hal took the photos)

The worst part of the ride was getting stuck in traffic near Fountain Hills, due to the triathlon. Ugh. I even got to practice a panic stop.
wink.png
Got home about 5:15. What a great riding day!

Thanks, Don!!

- Jo

Thank You Hal and Jo, it was indeed a Great Day with Beautiful but COLD Weather! Fantastic food at the Antlers, always have had great meals there! JSNS!

Don, I am talking about 288! I was surprised to see a numbered highway actually be mostly unpaved. I saw some small sections paved between larger unpaved sections and thought it was all paved a long time ago! I see you were on dual purpose bikes for your ride; I did the whole thing on the fjr. 8/

Don, I am talking about 288! I was surprised to see a numbered highway actually be mostly unpaved. I saw some small sections paved between larger unpaved sections and thought it was all paved a long time ago! I see you were on dual purpose bikes for your ride; I did the whole thing on the fjr. 8/
Congratulations Allen_C, in 1992 I rode 288 on my 1984 Harley-Davidson FLH Electra-Glide "Big Red"! Total dirt the entire ride, JSNS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if congratulations are in order, but instead maybe a little dumb! The scenery was good and people, though very few were seen, were nice and usually waved.

I haven't ridden Young highway for a while, but did just do the run up to (and beyond) Tortilla Flats a couple months ago. Its a great road, for my Tenere...