Which ADV Tourer? BMW GSA vs Super Tenere?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skooter, once you're comfortable with that big girl off road, come on out to Idaho for some leisurely trail riding. We've got some fun places to go out here...

Last edited by a moderator:
My last bike was a 2007 FJR and I loved it, but when it flooded during Harvey the insurance settlement gave me the opportunity to try something else. I bought a 2011 BMW R1200GS. It came from its previous owner with more farkles that I could imagine with aluminum panniers and top box and guards galore. Between rebuilding the house I have only managed to put about 2,000 miles on it, but it's a blast to ride. Is it better than my FJR ? No ! Is it worse? No ? It's just different and I love riding it. It doesn't accelerate as fast as my FJR did, but it accelerates as fast as I need it to.

I would prefer the larger gas tank from the GSA since It doesn't have the range of the FJR, but since the guys I ride with all start to panic about finding gas at about 175 miles that's not an problem. As far as service is concerned the last service on my GS, which included a brake fluid flush and valve clearance check, cost me the best part of $600, which is almost exactly what the last service on my FJR cost me and that didn't include a valve check.

One big advantage of the GS is that it doesn't sound like a sewing machine !!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video of two buddies and I riding single track trails in Jemez, NM. A big bike wouldn't do well here but there's about 9 billion miles of forest road all through the area. Great for camping and just being outside.

Anyway, at 3:04, turn it up. It was a good time to give Erick some shit. Then later on, the Karma gets me back and you can see me getting up after eating shit. Lol.

I agree, that would be no place for a big ADV tourer, but it looks like some fun riding. I notice that the trail is seriously eroded though, what’s up with that? Is it because of the sandy soil? Or does the trail get a whole lot of use? The single tracks around here don’t generally get so badly trenched out. Maybe because we have more clay in the soil? :unsure:

Good job riding that tight single track!! That area reminds me of the trails South of Denver known as Rampart & Westcreek. Definitely lots of concentration and arm pump! Good video.

I agree, that would be no place for a big ADV tourer, but it looks like some fun riding. I notice that the trail is seriously eroded though, what’s up with that? Is it because of the sandy soil? Or does the trail get a whole lot of use? The single tracks around here don’t generally get so badly trenched out. Maybe because we have more clay in the soil? :unsure:
Kind of a combo of all you mentioned. The GoPro never shows it correctly, but the deep parts are on hillsides, up or down, depending on which way we ride. The soil is soft, sand is in there, they get ridden, and after a rain, the running water erodes them. Actually, most of those eroded parts are now closed off so they can regenerate, which they actually do. In 3 years, they'll be gone, and the new detours will be good for another 5-8. Depends on the hill and rain. Some parts are so sandy, water doesn't really run, so they don't erode even with people riding them for the last 30 years.

Scuba: Most of our mountain stuff is very much like Colorado. Makes sense since we're neighbors. CO seems to have more moisture though. A lot of that ride is around 9k feet, so pretty high. It goes from super tight to open enough to haul ass for 25 seconds. Haha..