Whistling Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanfjr

Reaction score
My local Yamaha dealer sold me the Yamaha Touring windshield for my new FJR at half price. Now I am hearing a whistling noise most of the time. Slow speeds, shield up or down, higher speeds, up to 45 mph. Anyone else using this shield? Anyone else heard of this?? Any ideas? Whistling is just about to drive me nuts, and because of the price the dealer wont take it back. Thanks for any input you can give. Ride Safe! John

You need the foam sealing gasket that goes between the shield and the metal bracket. My touring shield ordered from Flatout came with this gasket. This gasket cures the very common whistle on the stock shield too.

Note that the OP has a Gen I which did not come with a factory installed whistle like the Gen II did. I dunno if Yamaha included this whistle as part of their price increase.

Take a look around the W at the base of the windshield and see if there are gaps, there should not be any gaps. Gently check the plastic Phillips screws and ensure they are snug. As a diagnostic aid you can put something like blue painter's tape over the joint between the W and the shield to see if it stops the noise. That would point you in the correct area for repair. Your windshield should not whistle. If you can, check your install against another FJR and see if a creative mechanic was able to install your windshield wrong.

The info about the gasket is correct for Gen II's windshield setup which is significantly different than the Gen I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply removed the stock shield to investigate who was sending morse code, re-installng the shield (visually identical) got rid of the whistle.

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!! I appreciate all the replies. I am going to see if I can't make my own gasket out of a bike tube. If that doesn't work I will order one from Cee Bailey. Thanks again and Ride Safe! John

I previously posted my whistle/chirp, with the stock shield & my new Rifle. It was the "W" thingee attached to the windscreen. Made a 1/16" pressure senstive foam gasket for it (plus siliconed all the holes) no more noise !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I previously posted my whistle/chip, with the stock shield & my new Rifle. It was the "W" thingee attached to the windscreen. Made a 1/16" pressure senstive foam gasket for it (plus siliconed all the holes) no more noise !!
I've got a simplier, faster solution. Just put a piece of black electrical tape across the bottom of the W. Yes, its cheap, it works and I didn't have to remove the windshield. I thought I 'd have to replace it every year, but the tape has stuck for over 2 years now. I can't take the credit for this, borric and (one who makes fences) showed it to me.