Who's selling their FJR for the new Triumph Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in a million years. I have an '09 Sprint ST in the fleet, it's the wife's bike. There are so many things that are so far inferior to the FJR that I would never consider trading for a Trophy.

I've said before that even if Yamaha came out with a new FJR, it would have to be a very substantial upgrade for me to trade my '07. No way would I trade it for a Triumph.

If I was gonna do that, I'd already be riding either a Ducati Multistrada, or a BMW K1300S. Sorry..

My Japanese GenII bike with all its power, room, handling and faults still wins.

I've said before that even if Yamaha came out with a new FJR, it would have to be a very substantial upgrade for me to trade my '07. No way would I trade it for a Triumph.

If I was gonna do that, I'd already be riding either a Ducati Multistrada, or a BMW K1300S. Sorry..

My Japanese GenII bike with all its power, room, handling and faults still wins.
Spoken like a true gentleman!

Yay, AJ!!

Yay, AJ!!
Um hasn't your FJR had twice as many engines and twice as many ignition switches as mine? Hmmmmmmm.

I doubt I will change to the Triumph, but I'm interested in taking one out for a ride.

I've had my 2003 since July 2002, I can't believe its coming up on 10 years of ownership. I still enjoy the bike to no end. :yahoo:

I've been tempted lately to get another adventure bike as I got rid of my DRZ400S a couple of years ago and like to get some gravel under the tires occasionally. The FJR just is not as fun in that environment. I've tried the Super T, Adventure 990 and the Tiger Explorer and I just don't see them replacing the FJR for most of my riding. But I still think I'm going to pull the trigger on one in the not-too-distant future.

Deep down I'm hoping they come out with a Gen 3 FJR that tweaks my interest like the FJR Gen 1 did when it came out in Europe back in 2001. Unlike others I had no problem putting the $500 down in the PDP back then and I've never regretted the purchase of my unseen and ridden FJR.

I remember writing letters to Yamaha USA to bring the bike to the States, on-line petitions to Yamaha to bring it in and drooling over a couple of european spec. bikes that I saw down in TN on the dragon that a couple of military folks had brought back to the States with them. I was even in the process of having one brought over to Canada and bringing it in to Minnesota. That was not going to be cheap, but I wanted one that bad. :p

Yay, AJ!!
Um hasn't your FJR had twice as many engines and twice as many ignition switches as mine? Hmmmmmmm.
You're mistaken about the ignition switch. Still original.

Other than the valve-train wreck, the only problems I've experienced are evaporating brake pads and annoying, repeat "Signal' fuse failures.

BTW, are you posting while working? I am, so no judgement....just curiosity.

Yay, AJ!!
You're mistaken about the ignition switch. Still original.

Other than the valve-train wreck, the only problems I've experienced are evaporating brake pads and annoying, repeat "Signal' fuse failures.

BTW, are you posting while working? I am, so no judgement....just curiosity.
Haha...Nope. I work Graveyards, so if I post something up at 0200, then I'm prolly at work, but prolly on my phone. So at 1:30 in the afternoon, I musta been on a day off or something.

Tough to beat the rice burners in this class of bike. Unless I get in a wreck and total my 08 AE, I think this will be my first and last bike in this class. I doubt I will wear it out. Got plenty of giddy-up, decent ergonomics, and handles well. What more could I ask for? Well, maybe a couple of things.

Just did a couple roll races with my 30lb less buddy on his '11 CB1000R and the FJR walked away from her each time... gonna keep my FJR for a while... still gets the job done pretty dang well.

While I like Triumph's in theory, I've never been a fan of the triples. Riding buddy has a 98 Sprint ST with a cool underseat Wolf exhaust, but it sounds and feels like chainsaw.

My take on the new Trophy is that it appears to be trying to play catchup in a crowded market. Good luck competing with FJR's, C14's and the various BMW's. It doesn't appear to add anything to make it stand out.

My next bike will be smaller and lighter. Multistrada, Ninja 1000. The Trophy goes in the wrong direction.

No Triumph here but the 1400 decision is an easy A/B switch for me

Test ride...

(A) I like; Mr Salesperson where do I sign and when can I take delivery?

( B) I dislike; Mr Salesperson where's the best local restaurant?

As an owner and a fan of a Triumph Speed Triple I'm going to give the Trophy a look but I don't hold out much hope that it's going to tempt me away from the FJR. I don't want to 'upgrade' to a less powerful, less good looking bike than I already have.

Now, I'm VERY anxious to see if there's a real upgrade to the FJR in 2013. If they do what I hope they do then I'm definitely going to buy it. Period.

I know this is just an artist's rendering but I LOVE the look of it. (hint Yamaha). Add 10-20hp and a 6 speed transmission and my '04 will be for sale instantly.

2013 FJR?

Just did a couple roll races with my 30lb less buddy on his '11 CB1000R and the FJR walked away from her each time... gonna keep my FJR for a while... still gets the job done pretty dang well.
I think your 30 lb less buddy either was very nice to you (does he owe you?) or he was sleepy/tired... :lol:

Yes I would like to ride the new Triumph. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your 30 lb less buddy either was very nice to you (does he owe you?) or he was sleepy/tired... :lol:

Nah, the FJR is just straight up a bit quicker, that's all, at least from 2nd gear onwards. The short first gear of the CB makes it feel pretty quick off the line though.

I think Petey called it unless their was a typo in the model. I've recently ridden the CB1000F and, the CBR1000RR.

No doubt in my mind that an FJR, even a Gen II, would walk away from the F. Nice bike that does nothing wrong, but nothing good. Completely soulless. Probably the most boring bike I've ever ridden. If it were a career, it'd be a middle management in accounting.

Now, the R/RR. Not a chance. The RR has some pretty serious squirt. It also throws some very serious heat on your right leg at city speeds. Way more than any FJR I've ever ridden. I looked like Rossi sticking my leg out to get away from it.

I also road a tricked out Varadero (had a set of 606 knobbies on it even!). That bike would make my short list if it were lighter and they were still importing it. The VTR engine in it is a *joy*.

When a CB-RR comes on around 10k, it's like a tidal wave. It slides you back into the rear of the seat, and you better be holding on or call it and let go of the throttle 'cuz holy shit...

Bungie's right. A CB-F, I wouldn't doubt, but a CBR...Wow. they're crazy fast.

Just what I've been looking for. A more expensive, less powerful (although not by much, admittedly,) less reliable (according to folklore,) alternative, with magical gizmos I never asked for to drive up the price.

That's what gets me about the "But this bike comes with..." or "Why can't we have that...." guys.

We can have any of that stuff, we just have to go out and get it. By doing so, we just get the stuff we actually want to have, without being bogged down by stuff we don't care about. Bike a la carte. So what if I had to buy a cruise control and install it? So what if I had to buy a headset that I could put music into? So what if I had to find a way to mount a GPS?

Even had I bought the bike new (which I didn't) and then added the stuff I have, I wouldn't have spent the money it's probably gonna take to get one of these Trophy thingies. And it has what I want on it, not what some marketing manager thinks I want.
There is one argument for a bike coming from the dealer with all these gizmos, and that's that the gizmos are then covered by the factory warrany (and any extended warranty). Of course that additional warranty coverage drives up the price even more.

IMLTHO best of both worlds is to have these farkles available as dealer options. Then you can get only the farkles you want, and they're covered by the warranty.

Last edited by a moderator: