Why is it never enough....?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderbret

Reaction score
Today my wife and I took a ride from Vegas to Zion NP and back, we covered about 350 miles. We didn't have time to ride through the park because she had to be back for some work "responsibilities"..... but we did have a great time!

The day was great!! Low 80's by the time we got to Zion and the temp never went over 95 the whole trip. But the thing that I am having trouble with is that I just didn't want to stop! My wife is a trooper, she does not "love" riding as much as I do but she likes to go out every once and a while with me. This is probably our longest ride to date together. By the time we got home she was ready to get off and stay off. Me on the other hand, I was ready to saddle back up and hit the road again!! I have been riding for over 18 years and it just gets better and better for me. I have always enjoyed short trips on my other bikes but it just seems different now. I find any excuse to ride that I can. Short trips, long trips, whatever!! But whenever I pull into the garage I always feel like I didn't go far enough. I think I am getting a little obsessed!!

I am in the process of planning my first SS1K and at the same time figuring out how to complete the BB1500... I feel like I'm on a never ending quest....

So is it ever enough for you guys? If not, why not? I guess I'm just looking for a little confirmation that I am not slowly going FJR crazy or that if I am, that I'm not the only one..... :crazy:

Hey bret did you slab it all the way? One of the things I've noticed in Vegas is that we have plenty of mountains, but damn few paved roads on them. One of the other things I miss about Cali (but I'm still glad I defected from the PRC).

I have a route planned through the four corners states, would have done it this summer if the wife hadn't vetoed it.

Yep, slabbed all the way. Time was a factor for me so that was my only option. The SS1K that I want to do has a stop at 4 corners.... My wife has veto'd the ride so far but I am still working on her......

In the next couple weeks I plan on making a day trip out to Cali... Leave super early, 6am or so, play around Malibu for the afternoon and then head back...

I am always up for a ride. If you ever go PM me....

I am right there with you. Wasn't that way with the Intruder, there is something about the "Siren Song" of the Feej that makes you want to keep rolling and never stop, also go faster without realizing it. I find excuses to take the longer, twistier route home from work now days. B)

I truly believe that I could ride 6 days a week for years if given the chance. But, as you seem to have found out, not everyone "gets it".

Today my wife and I took a ride from Vegas to Zion NP and back, we covered about 350 miles...This is probably our longest ride to date together.
Try a thousand miles a day for a while, and get back to us. You definitely don't ride enough....

I am in the process of planning my first SS1K and at the same time figuring out how to complete the BB1500... I feel like I'm on a never ending quest....
Now yer talkin'....

I truly believe that I could ride 6 days a week for years if given the chance. But, as you seem to have found out, not everyone "gets it".
Which day is the official M/C day of rest?

Sounds a lot like my day yest. Was in kind of a bad mood and wanted to be alone, so off I went.

Left Pittsfield, MA and filled the tank before leaving the area at about 11:00. Then, went over into New York and headed north on 22 then 9N into the Adirondacks.

Turned LEFT (Jim & Iris will laugh if they read that) on 73 into Keene NY and stopped to get some pics of an elusive waterfall. So, that was about 170 miles without any stopping whatsoever. Put the camera away, looked at the time (3:00), figured I should head home, so got back on the bike.

At least I managed to find Tracy Rd. this time (SWEEEEEEEEEEET), then made one more photo stop for an osprey that was flying around a HUGE nest. At 4:30 I stopped for gas, but only for gas.

Got home a bit before 6:30 with about 350 non-highway miles behind me.

I feel much better now, but can't condone riding while unhappy as it makes for a somewhat more aggressive day.

When women disappoint me, I can always turn to my bike's unconditional love.

If you're going FJR crazy, then I guess I'm f'ing nuts!!!

When I did my BBG it was enough.......for that day. The next morning, about 5 hours later, I was ready to go.

The insanity tastes just like cool-aid!

Today my wife and I took a ride from Vegas to Zion NP and back, we covered about 350 miles. By the time we got home she was ready to get off and stay off. Me on the other hand, I was ready to saddle back up and hit the road again!!
You try sitting on the back for hours, rather than being in control of everything while taking in all those sights, sounds, smells, etc. A lot of guys with small airplanes have gottne their wives "into" it by making them part of the crew, so the wife does all the navigating, radio work, etc. The guys are still aware of where they are and can over-ride (they have the controls) but dividing the chores works out for a lot of couples. Got an intercom? Tunes?

Got an intercom? Tunes?
Unfortunately I dont have an intercom yet. I agree that having one would probably help her enjoy the ride more. It is at the top of my to do list for sure. I have a zumo with XM but since she couldnt listen to it I didnt either.... Weird I know but what can I say.....

Got an intercom? Tunes?
Unfortunately I dont have an intercom yet. I agree that having one would probably help her enjoy the ride more. It is at the top of my to do list for sure. I have a zumo with XM but since she couldnt listen to it I didnt either.... Weird I know but what can I say.....
That will help but you might want to try stopping every hour, or so, so she can stretch and talk. I'm sure that her being able to "share" her experience will make it more something you two do "together".

[SIZE=8pt]Warning: The above suggestions are written by an embittered, woman-hating, single divorced man. Use the information at your own risk![/SIZE]

Hey bret did you slab it all the way? One of the things I've noticed in Vegas is that we have plenty of mountains, but damn few paved roads on them. One of the other things I miss about Cali (but I'm still glad I defected from the PRC).
I have a route planned through the four corners states, would have done it this summer if the wife hadn't vetoed it.

Yep, slabbed all the way. Time was a factor for me so that was my only option. The SS1K that I want to do has a stop at 4 corners.... My wife has veto'd the ride so far but I am still working on her......
In the next couple weeks I plan on making a day trip out to Cali... Leave super early, 6am or so, play around Malibu for the afternoon and then head back...

I am always up for a ride. If you ever go PM me....
I wouldn't mind a ride sometime, We went up to Charleston the other day, Labor Day, looked like a a lot of gravel to slide through.

Got an intercom? Tunes?
Makes for a very nice quiet ride though.

Today my wife and I took a ride from Vegas to Zion NP and back, we covered about 350 miles. By the time we got home she was ready to get off and stay off. Me on the other hand, I was ready to saddle back up and hit the road again!!
You try sitting on the back for hours, rather than being in control of everything while taking in all those sights, sounds, smells, etc. A lot of guys with small airplanes have gottne their wives "into" it by making them part of the crew, so the wife does all the navigating, radio work, etc. The guys are still aware of where they are and can over-ride (they have the controls) but dividing the chores works out for a lot of couples. Got an intercom? Tunes?
Even better, you could encourage her to ride her own. Then she is in control of her own journey, and has more fun to boot! Speaking from my experience riding 2up is fun but does get dull on a longer ride in comparison to riding your own bike. I am glad to see that you are trying to share your experience. Good luck!