Why my side case fell off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My issue is that those darn screws are hard to access as the lock lever doesn't raise high enough to get a straight shot with the tool. What am I missing here? People using short drivers, or what?
I used the el-cheapo security torx set from Harbor Freight. The short 1-inch bits will fit in a 1/4" socket on a 1/4 drive wrench. Those screws come out, and can be replaced with no trouble.

Oh look! There is a picture on post #50!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was opening up my right side bag and noticed the same problem the two screws were ready to fall out.

I tried to tighten them with a Torx-T10 but that was to large. What size are they?

I was opening up my right side bag and noticed the same problem the two screws were ready to fall out.I tried to tighten them with a Torx-T10 but that was to large. What size are they?
The screws are T10, but they are the so-called "security" type, they have a pip in the centre of their "slot", visible in the picture below (obvious in the larger view).

Click on image for larger view

The Torx screwdriver bit needs to have a hole in its centre to accommodate that pip, available at all good hardware stores.

Last edited by a moderator: