• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Widder SELF BUY is OVER!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
The Widder Lectric Self Buy has ended. You should start seeing updates on your order with tracking numbers beginning next week.

Hope you all enjoyed saving a few bucks on cold weather gear!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to buy something. But living in South Florida, I am afraid I am out on this one.

Great job, though putting this in place!!

-BD

Damn! Where were you a month and a half ago when I bought my Widder stuff?

Well done FJRocket.

And the gloves definitely fit on the "big" size. I would recommend going down 1-2 sizes from normal. Best would be to try someone else's so you know for sure.

Psssst, Dougie? Widder is in Ojai. C'mon up. I'll buy you a beer while you get fitted... Same price as the buy, no shipping. 7.5% sales tax, though... ;)

Psssst, Dougie? Widder is in Ojai. C'mon up. I'll buy you a beer while you get fitted... Same price as the buy, no shipping. 7.5% sales tax, though... ;)
But I dpn't want the tax... they are painful in clothing! :D

I'm curious... If one were to get a vest, arm chaps, and gloves, can you control the heat to each one individually, or is the heat set for all of them at the same time? If it's the case that all are set by a single conroller setting, do you run the risk of a situation where your hands are too warm in order for your body to be just right, or vice-versa.

I'm curious... If one were to get a vest, arm chaps, and gloves, can you control the heat to each one individually, or is the heat set for all of them at the same time?  If it's the case that all are set by a single conroller setting, do you run the risk of a situation where your hands are too warm in order for your body to be just right, or vice-versa.
You can run controllers to the gloves and vest/arm-chaps individually or combined.

The vest/arm-chaps act as a single garment when combined. The flexible design allows you to choose vest-only or vest+arm-chaps for the garment configuration you choose to wear at any given time (pack away the arm chaps when you don't need them, etc.).

Thanks Bounce... I thought the gloves plugged into the arm chaps... is there a way to put a controller inbetween that connection?

Thanks Bounce... I thought the gloves plugged into the arm chaps... is there a way to put a controller inbetween that connection?
My gloves DO plug into my arm chaps. That puts the gloves at the end of the electron chain. IMO, the gloves tend to not be as warm as the arm chaps, in that configuration. I have since bought a seperate cable and contoller for the gloves.

You can buy a seperate controller and a hook up just for the gloves. Or just buy the stand alone gloves. Or buy a connector that snaps on a vest and plugs right into the gloves. Be sure and check out all three pages. THere are several combinations available. That's why you have to be careful when you choose a system. Depending on your configuration, some things may require a seperate controller if you want one area warmer or cooler.

You might want to buy a couple different style connectors and controllers.I just went back and placed an order for a few different controllers so I have more flexibility with the entire package. I want to turn the heat down on my legs, bypass my arm chaps and turn up my gloves. Fortunately, I have multiple powerlet outlets AND the standard SAE adapter plugs on my bike. I could actually hook up each garment individually if I wanted to.

There's a harness you can put in your jacket to power/control gloves independently of a vest. Remember the mittens-on-a-string thing when you were a kid? Same concept...

I don' think you'd want to try to run a controller off a circuit powered by another controller.

Get the Widder II vest! It has the heated collar. Very nice!

These prices are pretty good to begin with, It ouldn't be hard to $150. Thanks for the find.

John

Get the Widder II vest! It has the heated collar. Very nice!
These prices are pretty good to begin with, It ouldn't be hard to $150. Thanks for the find.
I'm glad I didn't get the heated collar. I have a short neck. I'm kind of the "fireglug" configuration. I can't even close the collar on 4 out of 5 of my jackets, let alone get a heated collar up in there. As it is, my helmet just about sits on my shoulders anyway. Nope, no room for a collar. But the front of the vest resides just below my chin on my chest while leaning forward on my bike (normal seating). A bellaclava or turtleneck is really all I need. YMMV!

I'm glad I didn't get the heated collar. I have a short neck. I'm kind of the "fireglug" configuration. I can't even close the collar on 4 out of 5 of my jackets, let alone get a heated collar up in there. As it is, my helmet just about sits on my shoulders anyway. Nope, no room for a collar. But the front of the vest resides just below my chin on my chest while leaning forward on my bike (normal seating). A bellaclava or turtleneck is really all I need. YMMV!
So then.......

I take it your avatar is a self-portrait? :haha:

All -

I just ordered a vest, arms, and chaps from HSGear - they were very helpful, and two emails I sent them asking (stupid?) questions were very rapidly answered - and they didn't laugh. :D

Now I just need to wait for shipment.

But then, I'm waiting for the bike anyway.........

Pulled the ripcord and went whole-hog with vest, arm chaps, leg chaps, gloves, and controller. Thanks for the self buy set-up! Figure it was $450 on this vs. about $530 going to Widder directly.

....I guess I one less excuse to not be riding now....

I just got an E-Mail that mine shipped today, gloves & arm chaps are back ordered though.

I just got an E-Mail that mine shipped today, gloves & arm chaps are back ordered though.
Went over to Widder last Friday (The wall of old photo's of all the LD riders had me snickerin'). Plugged in Saturday morn.

Note to self: PM SkooterG to find out in which pocket he warms his quiche.

That is all.