WOT cures it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TellurideFJR

I likes to ride!
Reaction score
2007 65K miles, all recalls done, this bike has rough idle and serious stumble coming off idle. This condition happens at start up... most times when cold and sometimes when warm, can be corrected by a full opening of the throttle under load (doesnt fix it with clutch in or when bike is not running). The TPS measures correct at throttle closed position .66 volts but I did not take it off. Seems like a sensor to me but the bike has never tossed any codes. Once the throttle is cycled, all good unless it is restarted. Anyone else?

2007 65K miles, all recalls done, this bike has rough idle and serious stumble coming off idle. This condition happens at start up... most times when cold and sometimes when warm, can be corrected by a full opening of the throttle under load (doesnt fix it with clutch in or when bike is not running). The TPS measures correct at throttle closed position .66 volts but I did not take it off. Seems like a sensor to me but the bike has never tossed any codes. Once the throttle is cycled, all good unless it is restarted. Anyone else?
TellurideFJR,

Check for vacuum leaks.  Tried a can of Seafoam (or other fuel injector cleaner) lately?  Mixed to label specs, it takes several tanks of gas to run the whole container, but Seafoam does it's magic during that time.  So far, it has kept my FJR smooth and strong, every time I used it.  To my mind, any 2007 is a good candidate for an ECU re-flashed by Ivan's Performance.  Costs less than other fueling "fixes" that do less.  Engine braking may be reduced, but it depends on how you ride, to say if that would be any issue.  Ivan's re-flash is a good fix for the "snatchy" throttle response of the 2007s.  Check it out.

My buddy bought a used 2014 and it was perfect ... until the stumble just off idle showed up.  He even killed it a few times. We adjusted the clutch lever, replaced the brass bushing, ran chemicals thru it, bled the clutch fluid, and still stumbled off idle.

GET A NEW TPS! I said and helped him put it in (carefully with a short tip allen) and it ran like a new  bike just off the floor!!!   WHAT A MIRACLE!  he said immediately. 

Did it also to my 2013 a few years earlier ... same result!      YMMV

When were the plugs changed last.

I had a set go bad a tank or 2 after coming out of winter storage. Major misfire at idle and just off idle, somewhat improved under load but not proper.

"NBB

I had a set go bad a tank or 2 after coming out of winter storage. Major misfire at idle and just off idle, somewhat improved under load but not proper."

That was on a gen2 an '06