Y.E.S. warranty Canada?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_037

Reaction score
Hey all.

A question. As a newbie on this board, I noticed the YES warranty in the US. When I compare it with the extended warranty program here in Canada, big difference in price. So my question: Is YES program available for Canadians? Can bike be repaired under YES warranty outside US?

IIRC, you MUST buy the Cdn Yamaha extended warranty no later than when you take delivery, ie you can't wait a year to think about it like some other manufacturers' extended warranties. IIRC it's for one extra year, possibly 2 at the most. As to how it compares with the US Y.E.S. version, that's something you'll have to investigate clause by clause. There are also non-Yamaha aftermarket extended warranties available from most new bike dealers which may also merit some investigation.

Any other Canuks with info on this?

I thought for sure we had the year during initial warranty to opt for the extended maintenance...

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 05 FJR they have a 3 year warranty from the factory at no extra charge. It is included in the purchase of the bike. I was very surprized to find this out....maybe its to make use feel better for not getting the saddle bag linners.

Vulcan.

I just bought a FJR 2005, and the dealer mentioned only 1 year man. warranty. So I am a bit surprised to hear that you got 3 years.

Thanks for your info

Here's the link for info on the Canadian YPP (Y.E.S) plan. Just download the .pdf for pricing info.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/warranty/index.php?group=M

You can get the extended warrenty before your original warranty expires, at least that is what I was told when I thought about getting it.

As compared with the U.S. version, the Canadian version is shorter and much more expensive! In fact Yamaha's original warranty policy of only one year, especially given the retail price of $18,999.00 cdn for an ABS model, is pure abuse. Most Canadian riders can only ride for 5 or 6 months of the year. Thus wear and tear is generally minimal for the first 3 years. A one year warranty makes absolutely no sense!!!

Corporte politics? Consumer abuse? or both?

Come on Yamaha Canada wake up and get honest. At least treat us to the european warranty!!!

Vdoguy,

that we are ripped off here in Canada is a fact. But not only by Yamaha. All brands are taken advantage of the currecy exchange of a few years ago. If we didn't have to depend on the local dealerships, I think more of us would go over the border, by a bike cheap and import it to Canada. To be honest, I have been thinking about that a few times. Until now, never had the balls to do it.

Vulcan.
I just bought a FJR 2005, and the dealer mentioned only 1 year man. warranty. So I am a bit surprised to hear that you got 3 years.

Thanks for your info
Look in the paperwork that came with your bike.....mine lists the 3 year warranty as standard.

Corporte politics? Consumer abuse? or both?
If we didn't have to depend on the local dealerships, I think more of us would go over the border, by a bike cheap and import it to Canada.
National politics and the need to pay for all those "free" services, d00dz!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vulcan.

Thanks for your info
Look in the paperwork that came with your bike.....mine lists the 3 year warranty as standard.
Must have been some kind of personalized deal. All other Canadian bikes are 1 year only. Can you share the name of the dealer with the rest of Canada? Maybe others can swing the same deal...

Vulcan.

Thanks for your info
Must have been some kind of personalized deal. All other Canadian bikes are 1 year only. Can you share the name of the dealer with the rest of Canada? Maybe others can swing the same deal...
My Dealer was Blackfoot Motorsports in Calgary. I double checked my paperwork this morning....3 year warranty.

That is interesting - I goy mine from Red Deer Yamaha - so I checked my paperwork - no mention of warranty period on the invoice or the Yamaha Warranty Registration Card - all I can see is section 9-5 in the manual that states in Canada, all but a few 90-day models listed have a 1-year warranty - they must have included the 3-year in with the purchase. Good deal - Blackfoot would not dicker with me (cash $$$) so I went to Red Deer and saved a bundle...

What did you pay in Red Deer? Blackfoot had the bikes at $15999 and I was looking but when they advertised them at $14999 I went right in and bought it....I got the 7th of 8 bikes they had in stock. I looked at a few other dealers and nobody was close on the price....ProAm in Calgary would come down to $16000 but were whinning like Hell and wanted my money right there on the spot. Funny thing about that is I was in ProAm two weeks ago to see about some parts for my quad and they still have the same bike there only now its marked down to $14999. The salesman at Blackfoot told me that they sell between 400-600 bikes per month at Blackfoot in the summer so they have a fairly high volume and really compete on price.

The 3 year, 36K klicks warranty is on emmission systems, not the whole bike. That's a one year unlimited mechanical limited warranty in Canada afaik. Some makes/models may offer more, but afaik, Yamaha is not one of them.

If anybody was told he/she can wait 1 year before deciding on the Yam Can extended warranty, I suggest he/she get it in writing right from Yam Can. In fact, I suggest getting anything that the dealer or Yam Can told/tells you re re any aspect of service/warranty in writing.

I have found that things that get said which are taken in god faith, may get twisted around and denied when dealing with either a dealer or Yam Can. :blink:

I've got mine in writting right on my bill of sale.....should be interesting if I ever run into a problem were I need warranty after the one year!

If you go to the Yamaha Canada web site, they offer absolutely no informatiom whatsoever about their factory warranty for any motorcycle. That's right, Yamaha in Canada does not give *any* information regarding the exact nature, terms and or conditions of their factory warranty policy on their official web-site. I can't think of any other major motorcycle manufacturer's national distributer which is as shifty and elusive as Yamaha Canada. Based on the fact that they can't give you a straight answer on something as simple and basic as what warranty terms/conditons they offer, I rest my case: do not implicitly trust Yamaha Canada or any of their dealers. Get it in writing from Yamaha Canada.

They do however advise you to take your bike to the dealer if it makes odd noises, to find out if it's normal, which many are. :huh: Unbelievable.

When I bought my FJR, I wanted to get the Yes warranty but it was just too expensive (over 2k$ can for 3 years). Instead I got what they call the DFS advantage. Its some type of service contract for motorcycles. You need to buy this when you get the bike. I paid $857 Can for 4 additional years of coverage (1 year warranty + 4 years, for a total of 5 years. These contracts are managed by London insurance co. The drawback is that you have 100$ deductable for each repair. But since I really liked the bike, It's an insurance policy against the Tick.

:D

Hope this helps

Rick

I got this off the Yamaha Canada Website:

Section A Warranty

Subject to Section D, YAMAHA offers the following

warranty coverage to the CUSTOMER:

1. Period of Warranty:

Pleasure use (including government use) a)

The period of warranty shall be ninety days

commencing on DELIVERY on all models

designated RT, PW, TT and on models YZ80

and YZ85;

B) The period of warranty shall be one year on

DELIVERY, unlimited mileage on all other

models.