Yamaha Approved Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
While downloading an official document from Yammy-Deutschland containing all approved tires for the FJR 1300, I realized the only Avon tires they certify are the

AV49/AV50 combo.

On this Forum, instead, there seems to be a general consensus on AV45/AV46.

Is there an equivalent list of approved tire types issued by Cypress?

BTW, the document I mentioned is dated June 2005 and I have saved it as a PDF file for those who might be interested. Germany is probably the largest single European market for the Feejer with approx. 10,000 units sold.

Stef

Stef, The U.S. MOM recommends Metzlers and Bridgestones. ('05) Nothing else on the site...

Anyone have the service manual handy?

Last edited by a moderator:
TWN,

I do. Same story: Metz and Stone.

But Mommy Yammy releases an updated list of approved tire mfctrs. at regular intervals.

The one I mentioned has Pirelli, Michelin and Avon in there, too.

..but not the particular Avons most everyone puts as the #1 choice. :blink:

Weird thing.

Stef

Aaaaight... 7 then.

No, seriously. I intend to find out.

Reason I asked is I'm flying to the US in a couple weeks and I want to buy some tires there and take'm back (you're looking at 50% price difference) but I want them to be street legal over here....

Thanks for trying to help :) . I'll let you know my findings anyway.

Stef

I believe the "approved tires list" is a requirement for Europe. Their regs are more stringent than the US and mfgs have to do testing to certify tires for any bike they sell.

I wouldn't take the lack of the certification for the Avon ST 45/46 as any indictment that the tire is unsuitable for the FJR. It simply wasn't tested, perhaps because it wasn't available when certification occurred.

- Mark

Is there an equivalent list of approved tire types issued by Cypress?
No, there is not, other that the factory rubber mentioned in the Owner's Manual.

Germany is unique (!) in that tires must meet TÜV certification; tires used over here do not.

The Avon AV49/AV50 Azaro-SP combo works quite well on the FJR, but they don't last worth a shit, because they are a sticky, soft compound. If one is interested in tight, technical twisties and dragging FJR hard parts, the AV49/AV50 would be a good choice. Just don't expect them to last too long.

If it was me in this scenario, I personally would opt for the Michelin Pilot Powers.

Which probably aren't on the TUV-approved list either. :D

But Mommy Yammy releases an updated list of approved tire mfctrs. at regular intervals.The one I mentioned has Pirelli, Michelin and Avon in there, too.
Just caught this part.... which Michelins do they list, the Pilot Roads?

Dale,

here go all the approved Michelins

Michelin Macadam 100X

Michelin Pilot Road

Michelin Pilot Sport

I went thru the list again and noticed that, beside the other brands like Dunlop, Pirelli and Continental, they only had approved Metzeler's Z4s (not the Z6s).

Pretty weird, considering the Z4 has been superseded by the Z6.

Stef

But Mommy Yammy releases an updated list of approved tire mfctrs. at regular intervals.

The one I mentioned has Pirelli, Michelin and Avon in there, too.
Just caught this part.... which Michelins do they list, the Pilot Roads?
Probably either the Macadam 90X or 100X.

- Mark

I went thru the list again and noticed that, beside the other brands like Dunlop, Pirelli and Continental, they only had approved Metzeler's Z4s (not the Z6s).
Any word on the Conti's that you get I'd like to hear. I used to run Conti car tires and loved them, but in the last ten years I've been changing cars before the tires wear out!

Well when I bought the bike a month ago, it came with new Michelin Sports on it. After 1200 mi. the wear bars are showing on the rear! Front looks great. Going to the Michelin Pilot Road on the rear and see how that does. It just ate that SPort right off! lol