Yamaha brand FJR Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marked23

Reaction score
I just installed the Yamaha FJR Tank Bag
part number: 1MC-F41E0-V0-00

This thing is disappointing.

It comes with a platform that you clip onto the bike. You install the platform semi-permanently, using quick-release straps. The platform has a big hole in the middle, so that you can get to the gas cap. Then the bag has more quick release straps that you use to attach the bag to the platform.

The trouble is that the spacing of the quick-release connectors on the platform doesn't allow for enough room to tighten the straps holding the bag on. I figured I could click the bag into place, and then tighten each strap until it was snug. No dice. There's no room to pull-back on the strap to tighten it. You can only pull-up. Which will tear the connector-socket off of the platform.

So what I did... I pre-tightened all the straps, as short as they will go. And I muscled each clip into each socket. This is hardly the convenience I'd expect from something that I'm supposed to disconnect and reconnect every 200 miles.

Additional insult, is that these quick release clips are the kind that will just let-go, before they break. Maybe it's finally tight enough now... or maybe it's too tight, and one of those clips will let-go at some random time.

One more thing... now that it's tight to the platform, the platform is pulled-up off the surface of the tank, making a gap at the front, where dirt and sand can get under the "protective platform."

====

Has anyone had success with this bag? Did you modify it to make it work? I have some ideas.

Last edited:
I changed just about everything regarding how this bag mounts. Now I'm satisfied.
BagInstalled.jpg
On the bag itself, I cut short the straps coming off the bag, and sewed them into small loops. Onto those loops, I attached the socket side of new quick release buckles.

I made some straps to mount the clips to the faring, at the front. This involved punching some grommets into a length of strap, and making a shim/washer to to keep the grommet centered on the bolt. And also longer bolts. The yellow parts are easier to photograph, but I re-printed those in black for the installation. The washer on the bottom keeps the brass grommet from scraping on the fairing.
ScrewAndWasher.jpg

Here is the finished strap and clip, installed onto the faring.
ClipOnFaring.jpg

For the third clip at the back, I rolled-up a knot of strapping, and trapped that under the silver trim piece. I used this technique for my previous tank bag too. It's been reliable. This is the only strap I'll need to re-tighten after filling up with gas.
RearClip.jpg

So I have this stuff left over. It might be useful to mount a slightly smaller bag.
MountAndBackpack.jpg

I did a bit of research before getting my tank bag as I didn't want straps or other items rubbing on the paintwork. I ended up with an SW-Motech Pro Daypack which connects to a "PRO Tank Bag Ring" (you must get the PRO ring) on the fuel cap mount. There's an optional Map/Smartphone case and a "security system".

I am exceptionally pleased with it as it's big enough for the things I need most often but small enough not to get in the way.

It also comes with excellent mounting instructions (there's also a video on the site showing the mounting) and a waterproof cover.

Below are links to SW-Motech and the items I got.
Pro-Daypack
PRO Tank ring (must be the PRO not the EVO)
Smartphone/Map holder

That horseshoe thing is supposed to transform the tank bag into a backpack. You wear that thing around your neck, and the bag clips in. Two at the ends, one at the top.