Yamaha Demo Truck - Hillview Motorsports 5-16-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_g

Reaction score
I plan on demoing some bikes tomorrow at Hillview in Latrobe, PA.

I will be there around 10:00.

The truck will also be the Saturday.

I`ll give a quick review for anyone interested in future demo rides.

The Friday morning started out nice, 44 degrees, overcast and foggy. Perfect weather for keeping the mass crowds in their comfy warm homes. I showed up at 10:15, the first and only rider. I chatted with the crew, all very nice and doing their best to stay warm. Needless to say, I had my choice of rides.

Ride 1 FJR1300ES: I have a 2013 FJR, so all I wanted to see was the ES. The ES changes were barley noticable on the ride route, with the hardest setting I can say the front fork dive was a hair better than on my 2013. Since I was the only rider, the demo folks gave me some leeway.

Ride 2 FZ-09: First impression was that I was on a Ducati Super Mottard. There were 4 09s on the truck, you could tell this was the most popular bike to demo. One other rider showed up, also riding the 09. This bike has 3 fueling maps, the most aggressive map (A) was difficult at first. Lets say that unintentional wheelies may have occurred. I finished the ride with a stupid grin on my face. The dealership had 10 fz09s onthe floor in May, only 1 left. The other demo rider bought the last one, thankfully I didn't have to figure out how to get an extra bike home.

Ride 3 Super Tenere: My 31" inseam was a bit apprehensive, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. The bike handled like a dream. Power was a bit unresponsive and lacking compared to the FJR and FZ09. Even with the high seat height, it was much easier than expected handle. I can appreciate the bike, but as a pure street rider I prefer the FJR.

Ride 4 VMax: Why? I said why not? I think thos bike would out pull the local John Deeres at the county fair. It was a blast to ride, just not something I would own.

All in all, I had a great time with the demo crew. They were very personable and made sure I had a good experience. I left on my FJR and put on 280 miles before pulling into the garage, knowing that I have the bike that makes me the happiest.

I rode to Hillview Sat. morning for state inspection on my 2010. I rode thru 2 light showers before arriving, although it was not raining at the dealership. Checked in at service and visited the parts counter before sauntering over to the 2 red FJR's. One std and the other with ES. One of the crew answered some questions about operating the ES and then asked "how do you like the red?". I replied that I thought it looked sharp and liked it. He offered that nearly everyone else said that they liked the bike "except for the color"! I guess to each his own, but many here on the forum love the color.

I didn't demo anything, didn't want to tempt myself, and there was not much of any crowd there when I left at 11:00AM. Hope they got more riders