Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would definitely be a negative if I were considering this bike.

Not that I regularly ride in excess of 114 but there are times when it's is nice to have that capability in reserve.

It's also the idea of a corporate nanny telling me what i can do.

I know there are several bikes on the market already with speed limiting ecu's. As mcrider mentioned, many are adventure type bikes. Maybe they feel the tall suspensions are not as stable at high speeds.

Also hyper bikes like the Busa and ZX-14 have had the 186 self imposed limit.

Do the U.S. bikes come with a tire that perhaps limits top-end; don't know, just thinking out-loud. (a lot of cars are limited due to tire ratings)

I don't see where the speed limit would be any problem on this particular bike. 115 is pretty damn fast. And I'm no slow rider. Would I want that limit on my bike?? No. But these are completely different bikes. I'll see if we can either put one on the dyno or just take one out for a test ride. If and when I can arrange that, I'll report on it.

I don't see where the speed limit would be any problem on this particular bike. 115 is pretty damn fast. And I'm no slow rider. Would I want that limit on my bike?? No. But these are completely different bikes. I'll see if we can either put one on the dyno or just take one out for a test ride. If and when I can arrange that, I'll report on it.
This F-Jay handles fantastic and I want to take it on the track occasionally, and 115mph is pretty slow for the big track at Willow Springs. Heck, some people take the 600 lb FJR on the track I have been told.

Respectfully, if I need to be able to exceed 115 mph in order to pass a cattle truck on a public highway, then I'd re-think my passing opportunities.

Now DGMW, under the right conditions (a River Road or Levee Road is great for this - wide open with no cross streets), I've been known to run the FJR up the gears pretty good. I may have exceeded 115 once, but usually, a bring her up to about 100 and shut it down.

On a bike with limited wind protection, I can't see this as a real issue. If I intend to bring my bike regularly to the track (as opposed to a one-time "bucket list" experience), then I'd consider buying a sport bike.

Respectfully, if I need to be able to exceed 115 mph in order to pass a cattle truck on a public highway, then I'd re-think my passing opportunities.

Now DGMW, under the right conditions (a River Road or Levee Road is great for this - wide open with no cross streets), I've been known to run the FJR up the gears pretty good. I may have exceeded 115 once, but usually, a bring her up to about 100 and shut it down.

On a bike with limited wind protection, I can't see this as a real issue. If I intend to bring my bike regularly to the track (as opposed to a one-time "bucket list" experience), then I'd consider buying a sport bike.
I don't have a problem with a motorcycle being unable to exceed 115 mph. I've owned a few myself. Difference is they were not limited by an electronic nanny telling you how fast you can go. I hate the term "slippery slope" but this sure looks like one to me. When someone has an accident at 114 mph and decides it is the manufacturers fault because the limit should have been at 100 or 80 for safety reasons, will they eventually limit all products to some arbitrarily decided speed? I believe personal responsibility should be the limit, not a nanny ECU.

I don't have a problem with a motorcycle being unable to exceed 115 mph. I've owned a few myself. Difference is they were not limited by an electronic nanny telling you how fast you can go. I hate the term "slippery slope" but this sure looks like one to me. When someone has an accident at 114 mph and decides it is the manufacturers fault because the limit should have been at 100 or 80 for safety reasons, will they eventually limit all products to some arbitrarily decided speed? I believe personal responsibility should be the limit, not a nanny ECU.

I completely agree with you!

However in the case of the FJ-09 I am just wondering if it has to do with some kind of safety issue inherent to that bike. I mean Yamaha doesn't limit the R1, R6, FJR, or VMax. So I wonder if because of something with the FJ-09 like suspension geometry or aerodynamics if there is some instability at higher speeds requiring a speed limiter for safety reasons?

I don't have a problem with a motorcycle being unable to exceed 115 mph. I've owned a few myself. Difference is they were not limited by an electronic nanny telling you how fast you can go. I hate the term "slippery slope" but this sure looks like one to me. When someone has an accident at 114 mph and decides it is the manufacturers fault because the limit should have been at 100 or 80 for safety reasons, will they eventually limit all products to some arbitrarily decided

However in the case of the FJ-09 I am just wondering if it has to do with some kind of safety issue inherent to that bike. I mean Yamaha doesn't limit the R1, R6, FJR, or VMax. So I wonder if because of something with the FJ-09 like suspension geometry or aerodynamics if there is some instability at higher speeds requiring a speed limiter for safety reasons?
An earlier post stated that the European bikes have a different ECU without the top speed limiter. If that is true I don't think the limit is because of a stability factor.

I don't have a problem with a motorcycle being unable to exceed 115 mph. I've owned a few myself. Difference is they were not limited by an electronic nanny telling you how fast you can go. I hate the term "slippery slope" but this sure looks like one to me. When someone has an accident at 114 mph and decides it is the manufacturers fault because the limit should have been at 100 or 80 for safety reasons, will they eventually limit all products to some arbitrarily decided

An earlier post stated that the European bikes have a different ECU without the top speed limiter. If that is true I don't think the limit is because of a stability factor.

Ahhhh yes. Reading comprehension!

I got to ride a FJ-09 demo today and verified the top speed on that bike was 113 mph....and that was what was indicated on the speedometer. Actual speed.....who knows. I was in 4th gear and it got to 113 very quickly....and was very stable at that speed.

All assesed and planned before execution. Scenario: 3 loaded livestock trailers doing 65 on a wide open unlimited visibility downhill 2 laner in the Hill Country, you can take a shit shower, pull over and wait until it dries or get on with your journey.

Several roads here to max out the FJR at 153. My Versys will do 115, I want more from the FJ and obviously have survived many passing situations. Aero considerations should dictate top speed, not ECU programming.

Skooter, I was under impression that r1 and vmax were both speed limited. If R 1 is not, then I believe it to be the only liter bike that is not. ( 186) and the vmax at 155.

If I bought a '94 Harley Electra Glide and found that it had a top speed of 115 mph I would be thrilled.

If I buy a 2015 Yamaha anything and find it has a top speed of 115 mph I will be pissed. I know what the speed limit is. I know what the law says. I know what the risks are. I don't care. When I want my motorcycle to go, I want it to GOOOO! until I decide differently.

This seems like the same ignorance that limited the Cruise Control on the '13 to 82 mph.

Skooter, I was under impression that r1 and vmax were both speed limited. If R 1 is not, then I believe it to be the only liter bike that is not. ( 186) and the vmax at 155.
You are most likely correct. Posting before thinking. However I would say 155 on the VMax is plenty fast enough! And 186 is across the board for all manufacturers. Will an R1, say the 2009-2014 generation, with standard gearing even max out at 186mph? I don't think so. A quick google search shows 177mph so maybe it is not electronically limited.

You are most likely correct. Posting before thinking. However I would say 155 on the VMax is plenty fast enough! And 186 is across the board for all manufacturers. Will an R1, say the 2009-2014 generation, with standard gearing even max out at 186mph? I don't think so. A quick google search shows 177mph so maybe it is not electronically limited.
I would agree with SkooterG on both points.

The V-Max accelerates ferociously but has no wind protection and the speedometer is on the tank so you have to look waaay down to see it. This is not good. I had a moment of intense fun with Mr. Max on my Demo ride following SkooterG and to this day have no clue how fast it went. I simply did not have the courage to look down at the speedometer. I had all I could handle just hanging on.

The R1 lacked a bit of top end muscle as compared to the other liter bikes, it would "only" run in the upper 170's...POS! Perhaps this new version will change that.

All this speed limit talk reminds me of the 85 mph speedometer era. I Never did go over 85 on my GS1100 Suzuki (indicated that is).
winksmiley02.gif

So the FJ is limited but the FZ is not? Makes no sense.

I too am of the opinion that if I would need to do 115+ to pass someone on public roads, I should not be riding that day as I've put myself and others on the road at unusual risk. Except for the very rare occasion, I don't know why one needs to exceed even, say, 90 mph, except for track days.

IMO, the manufacturer shouldn't be incorporating speed limiters (and at least should state in the specs of the bike that it has such, if installed), but sadly we live in a litigious culture so manufacturers take efforts that will demonstrate they've taken steps to limit risk.

Bakerboy and I fish in the same hole. I spend a good bit of my time defending frivolous claims. Guess I'm biased. But perhaps my comment was taken out of context. While I do not agree with big brother electronically limiting me, I still have a hard time visualizing the actual application. Under the right conditions - 115 on the FJR with the windscreen up and my legs tucked in close to the tank? No problem. 115 on the FJ-09, with a stock windscreen? Reserving final opinion until the actual test ride, but the chest and head blast alone probably negate it.

And we can certainly agree to disagree, but for me to pass 3 livestock trailers going 65mph, I need a 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile. Plenty of places in Texas to do that, granted. But once I see a clear 1/2 mile, and drop 2 gears, and run her up to around 100 (give or take - like R/H, I'm not looking at the needle - I learned my lesson about that on crash day), I'm going to get around in plenty of time and spare the cowboys from the squid comments.

I know a guy with an ST1300 (which has much better wind protection than the FJR btw) that has teased me about stories of riding "out West" where the road is wide open, holding 110-ish for an hour at a time, while his pillion snaps pictures. Again - apples and oranges. The full fairing, longer wheelbase, rake/trail specs, and other things I can't even think of make this much more possible (and even plausible) than trying even a short burst on the FJ-09.

I cut my teeth on the UJM, fully naked. When I bought the FJR, I learned that at least for motorcycles, the secret to performance is in the motor, but it is equally in the bikes' ability to cut the wind.

Full disclosure - I've fanned the flames - I'm prepared to take the heat. Fire away.....

Last edited by a moderator: