Yamaha offers info on AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That clears up a lot... but they didn't say if it would do this

2347.jpg

That clears up a lot... but they didn't say if it would do this
2347.jpg
"This" only requires torque, something the FJR has plenty of, and severe use of the righthand "twisty thing". One wouldn't want to be using the clutch to do "this" anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parking the motorcycle: The motorcycle can either be parked in neutral or in any gear. If the main switch is turned off when the motorcycle is in gear the clutch will engage itself 3 seconds after the main switch is turned off and the motorcycle cannot be pushed in gear. To move the motorcycle after this occurs, you must turn on the main switch, have the start/stop switch in the run position and then apply the front brake. At that time the clutch will disengage itself and you can push the motorcycle.
Doesn't really address a dead battery with the bike parked in gear as was discussed on the other thread. Very interesting stuff though.

I've been stuck in some heavy traffic where lane splitting wasn't an option and my clutch hand did get tired after a while.

Parking the motorcycle: The motorcycle can either be parked in neutral or in any gear. If the main switch is turned off when the motorcycle is in gear the clutch will engage itself 3 seconds after the main switch is turned off and the motorcycle cannot be pushed in gear. To move the motorcycle after this occurs, you must turn on the main switch, have the start/stop switch in the run position and then apply the front brake. At that time the clutch will disengage itself and you can push the motorcycle.
Doesn't really address a dead battery with the bike parked in gear as was discussed on the other thread. Very interesting stuff though.

I've been stuck in some heavy traffic where lane splitting wasn't an option and my clutch hand did get tired after a while.
Actually it does. It pretty much says if you shut it off in gear, the bike wont move until turned back on. That tells me it wont move if shut off in gear and the battery dies.

That looks really interesting.

It looks so good that I'm tempted to sell my much moded '03 to get one.

Hmmmm.?

Actually it does.  It pretty much says if you shut it off in gear, the bike wont move until turned back on.  That tells me it wont move if shut off in gear and the battery dies.
Yeah, I meant if they had a way to get around this or not.

"fatigue of operating the clutch"Never been fatigued by it?????
Currently riding a HD EG and most of my daily 26 mile commute is in stop & go traffic the entire way.

The HD clutch is stiff and I can tell you I definately get tired of holding the clutch in at stoplights ( so I can get away if need be ). Weekend riding is no problem just city.

I ordered a AE primarily for the color as it would cost at least a 1k to have it painted ( not a huge blue fan ). The heated grips and auto-clutch are just side benefits as far as I am concerned.

Wondering how it is going to ride in parking lots as it is automatically featherly the clutch. I hope I won't be stuck laying on/off the throttle/brakes to assist with this.

The one real issue I have after reading the Yamaha information yesterday is will I be able to lift the front with just throttle? Definately wanted to be able to hotdog a little, now not so sure as you can't pop it.

I have read a couple other threads here suggesting it isn't that easy anyway to lift it and others saying no problem.

So guys, can you bring up the front with just throttle?

The HD clutch is stiff and I can tell you I definately get tired of holding the clutch in at stoplights ( so I can get away if need be ). Weekend riding is no problem just city.
Huh. My Road King's clutch was buttah. Very light to operate. You may wanna have it looked at...

Huh. My Road King's clutch was buttah. Very light to operate. You may wanna have it looked at...
It may be model year issue. Mine is a 05 and several others I have looked at are the same.

HD redesigned the clutch lever/spring for the entire Touring line for 2006. It is now 40% easier then the previous generations.

I could mod my bike ( they sell a retro kit ) but it may be going this fall depending on how I like the FJR.

Yeah, I meant if they had a way to get around this or not.
Ah, well I would guess they didnt take that into consideration. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see when it comes out though.

You know what I wonder? I'll tell you. I wonder if this system will increase the life of the clutch due to a "proper" shifting movement as compared to the manual shifting process.

It will be interesting to see if it prolongs, shortens, or has no effect on clutch life.

You know what I wonder? I'll tell you. I wonder if this system will increase the life of the clutch due to a "proper" shifting movement as compared to the manual shifting process.
It will be interesting to see if it prolongs, shortens, or has no effect on clutch life.
Crap! Are you trying to be a baiting troll here, OrangevalFJR? :p

I mean, its not like we are getting any baseline on when the normal clutches go, as I have not yet heard of one that has. Modern wet clutches pretty much last indefinitely. Hard to improve on that, eh?

Crap! Are you trying to be a baiting troll here, OrangevalFJR? :p

I mean, its not like we are getting any baseline on when the normal clutches go, as I have not yet heard of one that has. Modern wet clutches pretty much last indefinitely. Hard to improve on that, eh?
Well how would I know that? I only have 11K+ on my clutch. I didn't know it will last forever!

Not baiting, just ignorant I guess! :lol: :lol:

Since clutches last forever, what I want to know is:

When is the last time you actually remember thinking about pulling in the clutch? If you can remember that, you don't ride enough!!!

There, Now I'm trolling. :haha:

Since clutches last forever, what I want to know is:
When is the last time you actually remember thinking about pulling in the clutch? If you can remember that, you don't ride enough!!!

There, Now I'm trolling. :haha:
Well what was the last time you thought about remembering to think about remembering to pull in the clutch?

I'll troll more:

I truly believe that this system, while it certainly has its merits, is going for the person that doesn't know how to use a clutch and is scared to learn. Riding takes a certain level of confidence. The person that doesn't have the balls to learn how to use a clutch doesn't have the balls to be out in traffic on a bike. In other words, I expect insurance to go up as the auto shifters get more popular because scared people do stupid shit.

For those riders that bought the AE for performance reasons and coolness, I can dig it. I want one too, so I'm not talking to you.