Yosemite and the Sierras on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eg23232

Reaction score
Rode with Pashnit.com (www.pashnit.com) on the Sierra Nevada tour two weeks ago. Great roads, epic scenery, nice people.

Pictures here (you don't need to be a Facebook member to view):

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2036...mp;l=f1f1062538

Day one actually was on my own as I arrived in the Bay Area a day early so I explored the East Bay, via Port Costa, Bear Creek Road, Tilden Park, Mt Diablo State Park, Marsh Creek Road.

The next day, our group of nine met up and headed east on Hy 130 to La Grange Rd, then over to Coulterville. A group of tourists from the UK and Germany were on rented Harleys and one of the riders had crashed on Hy 49's stretch called "The Little Dragon" upon which we were about to embark. Anyway, the road certainly lived up to its name! Then on to Yosemite Park with lunch at the historic Ahwahnee Lodge. Then up to Tioga Pass and Olmstead Pt, Toulumne, and the blast of sweepers leading down to Lee Vining and the Mono Lake Basin.

Next day, we rode the high speed sweepers up Conway Summit. Then it was over to Bodie Ghost Town State Park. The first seven miles are a fun twisty road then turns to hard pack dirt and gravel for the last three miles so was able to practice some dual-sport skills on the FJR. Bodie Ghost Town is an interesting place and I am looking forward to going there again and availing myself of the mine tour and docent talk. Maybe next time, I'll take the DR as the unpaved roads here look inviting. From there it was up the 26% grade of Sonora Pass, it's occasional single lane keeping the focus on the road instead of the scenery. Then down the 26% grade on the other side stopping in Strawberry for a decent repast. Continuing westward, we cut off toward Big Hill Road and hooked on to Hy 4 going east to Ebbets Pass. More single lane pass roadway. Then down Hy 89 and on to Walker for the evening.

Sunday, off from Walker and back up Hy 89 (worth riding again for sure!) but this time through Markleeville and heading to Carson Pass. It was at this point that a semi was doing about 10 mph up a grade with a train of cages behind it. About five of us decided we really didn't want to wait so we executed a pass along the train of cars...around a right hand curve with a double yellow. Of course this was the one point in the entire ride we ecountered police, but fortunately he was a USFS LE who let us go with a warning. Off again on Mormon Emigrant for short bit before turning off to Silver Fork Road then to Hy 50 and off to Icehouse Rd. We took a diversion up to the Big Hill fire lookout and helibase for tour of their Bell helo and lookout tower. Then on to Wentworth Springs Road winding up at Georgetown for lunch and goodbyes.

My weekend continued, though, meeting up with a friend in San Francisco and heading out the next day riding some Marin and Sonoma roads alternating follow the leader with my FJR and his Duc 1098S. We parted ways on the east end of Skagg Springs Road where I continued north to Eureka. The next day was up 101 to Waldport then east on Oregon Hy 34 to Alsea, up Kings Valley then over to Salem and bombed home.

Just over 2700 miles. Averaged 49 MPG, which really surprised me given my heavy throttle hand. Props to Ron's Performance Motorcycles for mapping my Power Commander.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooo, Eric, what did you think of the roads around these parts?It sounds like you hit a good chunk of the best bits, and that you were already familiar with the area.

How'd your tires hold up?
I went with this because I'd never been to Yosemite. Granted, this was a quick ride through but it just makes me want to come back and enjoy it with more time and on foot. Props to John Muir! I'd not been through that part of the Sierras or Mono Lake area only the northern Sierras above Lake Tahoe. In any event, the roads were great and as I said, the scenery was epic.

I am familiar with the Bay Area having been through it with rides to MotoGP at Laguna Seca and back every year. I try and pick different routes home and explore new places with the help of either Pashnit's California Motorcycle Roads or Destination Highways book.

I will ride with the Pashnit guys again for sure.

As for the tires, I now have about 5500 miles on my Michelin PR2's and I have no complaints whatsoever. Confidence inspiring and wearing very well (compared to the previous Dunslop Roaddumbs).

Last edited by a moderator: