Zumo - Starcomm Problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifrik

Reaction score
I've been noticing that my audio gets softer the longer I ride. If I plug directly into the zumo the audio is fine. Could this be a problem with the special cable, or do you think its a problem with the Starcomm? Has anyone else experienced this? I've even tried putting an ice bag around the starcomm, thinking it might be a heat issue, but no luck. Any ideas?

I've been noticing that my audio gets softer the longer I ride. If I plug directly into the zumo the audio is fine. Could this be a problem with the special cable, or do you think its a problem with the Starcomm? Has anyone else experienced this? I've even tried putting an ice bag around the starcomm, thinking it might be a heat issue, but no luck. Any ideas?
First thing they will tell you is to wire it directly to the battery. I did and still had a problem. I used Midland and Cobra 2 - way radios, to communicate with friends with other 2-way and Chatterbox units. They would work fine early in the day, by mid-day the others could hear my carrier wave when I pushed the button but no voice, then by the end of the day nothing was going out from my radio. The intercom and the MP3 worked fine, although some times the intercom part started to fade also after a long day, but not all the time. I sent my unit to Starcom after a couple of emails back and forth, they replaced the printed circuit for "free" and all was well again. Problem is I think I spent $70 to ship it there. I did it in winter so I didn't miss it.

Electronically or electrically speaking I am mostly stupid, so all I can do is describe the effects and not talk about a something-or-other rectifier this or whatsis thermistor doing whatever they should be doing and are not.

I think my email exchange went to Tony Starling. Starcom is on line.