New Guy from NY State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like there's quite a few Feejers within range of the outer NYC area. Let's get 'em together, come Spring! Breakfast on ME! [just kidding]

Rt 218 by West Point-

Attachments

• Hudson River at West Point Military Academy.jpg
    Hudson River at West Point Military Academy.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210902_164517.jpg
    20210902_164517.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
You're shaking cobwebs. Used to enjoy Sunday breakfasts in Cold Spring then working it off leaving on 301. Nice riding up there.

Howdy Gents! "Bandit Greg" here, residing about 40 Klicks north of NY City... the Lower Hudson Valley. George Washington rinsed his socks here!
I bought a cherry 2008 FJRAX last May, 19K miles for $5000... my third (current) bike in the garage and something like my 26th or 27th, total. I found this one on Craig's List. The only issue was- it was all the way out in central Michigan. So after looking at numerous photos and talking with the guy, I sent a deposit and flew out there, took a bus to Lansing, paid the guy the balance, and rode it home (two days).
Since then I've worked to bring out just a bit more "Sport" in the bike, (I'm an old-school Cafe rider, with track experience). Yes, Yes I know it's a Tourer.. and that's fine; I needed a bike to do 75% Open Road work.. but prefer slightly more racy-feeling ergos and function. I know most guys like to SIT UP more.. but.. what can I say.
Mods so far:
- Dominator R cans
- Ivan ECU re-flash
- "Shorty" tinted windshield
- Cut 1" out of bar height and TIG's 'em nicely (PS- you can't go lower than -1" or switches will contact tank)
- Adaptiv TPX radar; fabbed-up a SS bracket and installed it over the Speedo neatly (using 3M tape, no screws)
- Some tasty Shorty levers (I just like 'em, it's the kid in me).. and some soft grips
- PAIR block-off plates
- Chopped-off the rear fender carefully; added a good Chinese plate bracket
- Hyperpro rear shock
- Sonic springs up front to my weight

One month into ownership I encountered the dreaded *SPIDER BITE*... after some research I snipped out the burned connector (and the #6 as well up on the left side), soldered new connections and fresh grounds to frame)

Had some very mild handling issues (slight sloppiness in center, especially over ripple-bumps).. could be the tires..
My only real issue now is WIND NOISE at the helmet... I will post to one of the threads here..

ANYWAY, Hello to all you good FJR people... I've been on other sites and hope to be a cheerful and respectful Poster.
Welcome I am on the Island. Run 495 on the weekends , maybe we can meet up? Best regards.