Its here! www.assistancelist.com - The FJR Assistance List

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borrowed a slightly less obsolete laptop. Everything worked perfectly. No problem to print. Cool.
THANKS Bungie and forum.
Glad you got it sorted out, sorry for not replying sooner but I've had a really busy weekend.

When I get a few minute I'll work on an alternate input for the location. The whole point of doing it the way I am is to get the longitude/latitude. Maybe I'll just let you guys enter it directly. I don't particularly care about the words where you live, that's only for printing. All the rest is done by coordinates.

Question:

Privacy is a concern for us all. I've had a few emails stating flat out that they love the idea of the list, but they don't want ANY of their personally identifiable information (telephone) made public.

I can work around this. Basically where the 'phone number' is on the printed list, it would be a unique access code.. say 6 characters or so.

Should you need help from somebody on the list, you would dial the Assistance List number, and when prompted, enter the unique code for the person you wish to contact. Your call would then be directly connected to that person without you ever knowing what number you called (nor would the caller know who originated the call.

It completely solves the problem of privacy, but it would mean all help requests would generate a $5 charge. None of us expect to ever have to use the list, but some have. I think the $5 charge is fair as it's usage based. You don't use it, the list is free.

A side benefit to this is that if you choose, I could place a call into ALL your emergency contacts and conference you in on the fly.

Keep in mind that the list is no longer just the FJR list anymore. If you join multiple lists, you may be getting calls from riders you've never heard of.

What say you, complete anonymity and conference ability but with a guaranteed $5 charge, or, just leave it like it is?

Oh, btw, AssistanceList.com will be mentioned in https://canadamotoguide.com/ (CMGOnline.com) this week.
biggrin.png

OMFG...Someone might get my cell phone number and call me? Anyone that scared of a phone call should prolly just avoid the list anyway. I think its fine as is.

Now...I just signed up. It looks right. That was waaaaaaay to easy. What am I missing??

OMFG...Someone might get my cell phone number and call me? Anyone that scared of a phone call should prolly just avoid the list anyway. I think its fine as is.
Now...I just signed up. It looks right. That was waaaaaaay to easy. What am I missing??
I'm with everybody else with the privacy thing, but we're all familiar with one another and their is a certain amount of trust involved. I'm going to go ahead with the privacy plan I mentioned, but it will be opt-in. You can do it if you like, or not.

Hey, if 'zilla can figure it out, it must be okay!

I should register witnessprotectionplan.com and just list all the FJR riders..

Okay! The new privacy enabled telephone number feature is now live.

If you have previously registered and felt a little uneasy about putting your various telephone numbers 'out there', just log back into the Assistance List and edit your telephone numbers. The privacy feature is optional. I really would suggest doing this for any landlines you have entered as those are easy to reverse lookup. Cell numbers, not so much.

So, how does it work?

Any participant with privacy enabled telephone numbers will be shown to you on your Assistance List with highlighted numbers. To call these numbers you dial the Assistance Lists published number (you DID put it in your cell phone didn'tcha?) and you will be prompted to enter that telephone numbers unique code. After which, the Assistance List will look up the real telephone number and connect your call. Neither you, or the person you're calling will see any identifiable caller id information.

I thought you guys might be interested in what the FJRForums coverage looks like right now. We are currently about half the size we were pre-website. Not bad for one month! I'd like to see the highlights all red and covering North America though. Not shown are the participants in Europe/South Africa and Australia. Sign up, it only takes a second!

BTW, this is an image of a google map, not a live map. 'Zilla, stop clicking on it.

FJRForum.jpg

Very nice Bungie! Looks like us rain riders have lots of members because that red near Seattle is by far the darkest red area. Come on you slackers everywhere else - sign up!

Latest posts