What is the best way to clean boot marks on your side bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Can someone please suggest a cleaner that will help me remove the black boot marks from the top of my side panniers and something that would not hurt the paint? I have tried many different cleaners and it just does not want to come off. :angry2:

Can someone please suggest a cleaner that will help me remove the black boot marks from the top of my side panniers and something that would not hurt the paint? I have tried many different cleaners and it just does not want to come off. :angry2:
I use the Millennium Green Cloth......with just a little water and it works wonders!

G

I like 3M Bug and Tar remover. Found at your local GM dealer. It works great for getting well, bugs and road tar and the black marks off chrome exhausts as well and also use it to remove wax from paint before doing a detail or getting ready to repaint. Gently apply and then wipe off with clean cloth. Re-wax after use on paint. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran out of my 3M cleaner and rather than buy more I wanted to see if there was a better product? I have been using this stuff for many years. If many in the group agreed on one product you HAD to have I would buy it but if not I think I might go back to 3M. This stuff is hard core and to be honest it worked so well it made me wonder if I was hurting my paint in some way.

I ran out of my 3M cleaner and rather than buy more I wanted to see if there was a better product? I have been using this stuff for many years. If many in the group agreed on one product you HAD to have I would buy it but if not I think I might go back to 3M. This stuff is hard core and to be honest it worked so well it made me wonder if I was hurting my paint in some way.
I'm not an expert on this subject but the stuff you describe is IMO too much for removing scuff marks and such and I wouldn't exactly call it a cleaner. The one I mentioned is a "cleaner" and not a "rubbing compound" ie, the Bug and Tar remover while must be used with some caution is not abrasive. PM. <>< ;)

the Bug and Tar remover while must be used with some caution is not abrasive. PM. <>< ;)
Del, Bug & Tar remover is just kerosene I believe, and therefore a solvent. It's not supposed to hurt paint, but since it removes wax and other protective coatings, you'd want to thoroughly wash and put wax on right after using it.

Geez, when I start giving advice, I know it's past my bedtime. Goodnight all.

Have you tried WD-40... spray on let sit for a few seconds and then use a dry terry cloth... worked for my boot scuffs... Will also take off transfer paint from a car door strike.

Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax spray. I carry it in my top box everywhere I go. It takes the boot marks off, it cleans the whole motorcycle and I even use it on the windshield to remove bugs and on my visor to remove bugs.... It's a great product!

Don

Have you tried WD-40... spray on let sit for a few seconds and then use a dry terry cloth... worked for my boot scuffs... Will also take off transfer paint from a car door strike.
WD-40 i find is a great universal cleaner, fetches tar off my plastics and my boot scuffs off the side cases and exhaust when I dont throw my leg over high enough when getting on or off :rolleyes: also found it very good at getting the oil 'fling' off the rear wheel of my old chain drives.. ;)

I use GRIOT'S Speed Shine or Machine Polish 3.

The Speed Shine also works great on the windshield.

I use Plexus for the windsheild and anything plastic. There is nothing better. You can order it in 4oz too and keep with you on longer trips.

Meguiar's Scratch-X works great and it doesn't hurt your paint. After using that, I go over it with a standard wax like Meguire's Gold Class, Turtle Wax or Zymol. Zymol BTW is cool stuff.

Incidentally, the forum's search function won't accept two-letter (3M) word searches.
One way around that issue is to enter the following into google when you are searching.

3M site: www.fjrforum.com

You can also limit your search even more 3M and clear film site: www.fjrforum.com

It will only search the website you tell it to search and I use this feature all of the time. As for the question about the film, I would like to know too. I have been doing longer and longer trips with the wife and she is kicking the cases when she gets on and off at the end of a long day when we are both tired after riding. That film is a good idea!