Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
[No message]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha_XT660Z_Tenere_2008_40_1024x768.jpg

That pic Warchild posted isn't of the new Super Tenere, since the new one will be a shaft drive bike. There are some youtube videos of it and some info on www.motorcycledaily.com. IMHO, I wouldn't hold my breath for it coming to America any time soon. Unless they really think it will challenge the R1200GS. I'd think it would have to be lighter than the GS and cost less to really be a factor, but that is just me. I think if it was both of those it would do well due to the dealer network too.

doctorj

Here is a video of the concept bike at the recent auto show:

Now whether there will actually be a shaft drive if/when it comes out, we will have to wait and see.

doctorj

Yea, this is the 660 Tenere in Europe right now.. The new Super Tenere 1200 is going against the BMW GSA 1200.... BMW has a 9 gal gas tank so the Yamaha I think will be a better bike but I just HOPE they bring it to the USA !!! :) :)

...IMHO, I wouldn't hold my breath for it coming to America any time soon. Unless they really think it will challenge the R1200GS. I'd think it would have to be lighter than the GS and cost less to really be a factor, but that is just me. I think if it was both of those it would do well due to the dealer network too.
Beating the BMW GS in its market (the market niche it stated and, currently, owns) will be difficult. Americans who can afford expensive motorcycles want GSs (even some FJR Forum members readily admit their lust for them...).

As a 2-wheeled version of the universally popular S.U.V., the BMW GS appears to "walk on water"? How many negative comments have you ever heard? Never mind that the engine/drive train is a catastrophy of 'heroic' engineering trying to make an ancient 50 year old + concept valid among many much more modern designs.

As long as marketing rules the market (and the public refuses to study/research/gain knowledge), the GS rules.

Yamaha will be exceedingly brave to enter that market (remember, the FJR was [at one time] too risky for America...).

...IMHO, I wouldn't hold my breath for it coming to America any time soon. Unless they really think it will challenge the R1200GS. I'd think it would have to be lighter than the GS and cost less to really be a factor, but that is just me. I think if it was both of those it would do well due to the dealer network too.
Beating the BMW GS in its market (the market niche it stated and, currently, owns) will be difficult. Americans who can afford expensive motorcycles want GSs (even some FJR Forum members readily admit their lust for them...).

As a 2-wheeled version of the universally popular S.U.V., the BMW GS appears to "walk on water"? How many negative comments have you ever heard? Never mind that the engine/drive train is a catastrophy of 'heroic' engineering trying to make an ancient 50 year old + concept valid among many much more modern designs.

As long as marketing rules the market (and the public refuses to study/research/gain knowledge), the GS rules.

Yamaha will be exceedingly brave to enter that market (remember, the FJR was [at one time] too risky for America...).

You have brought up several good points...... Ill first say that the GS 1200 is probably one of my all time favorite bikes that I dont own.. Reason being is that the bike is about 18-20K before you get the bags on and other things you might want or need... From BWW you can drop 22-23K with TT+L. I dont believe that one 'anything' has the corner on the market forever. I think someone like Yamaha can DEFINATLY put an over all dent in the Adv market with the Tenere.. I dont mind spending money on a better product. There are several serious issues with the GS that I wish they would fix for paying that type of money, IE rear seal, frame cracking, electrical issues, clutch disc issues, clutch slave cylinder issues, EAS issues... Its an AWESOME bike that is expensive, just wish they would do what needs to be done to fix these issues. (like ANY BIKE or car, your going to have guys that have owned something 90 years with not one issues, im just taking stock from the years of reading Ive done on the ADV site)

I busted out laughing about your comment about: How many negatives comments have you ever heard? A million Ill tell ya... And anyone can go read a million comments here: https://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3 Keep in mind I LOVE this bike.. I feel there is definitely a mystique with the bike and hard core loyalty with the GS brand along with BMW. Very different but similar to Harley crowd...

I like Yamaha and have several of them, and they have all been great! If Yamaha can come up with a bike that has about the same Spec's as the GS I would rather have the Yamaha.... For me here are just a few reasons: MORE dealers everywhere, less expensive parts, more distribution centers around the US for parts VS the one out of NJ, Yamaha will have a wet clutch, BMW has a dry clutch, Etc..Etc...

I'm sure there are pro's and Cons of both bikes (when / if the Yamaha comes)... im not a 'Ford or Dodge' type of guy... I want what will work.

Ill probably end up with a GSA one day because Yamaha wont bring this bike over... wish they would ! :)