Found loose spacer on front wheel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULEWZ

Reaction score
I was reviewing the facts for Newbees file, and noticed the front wheel has a loose spacer. I assume this is not normal. I cocked the free spinning spacer/washer so it would be easier to see.

Please help, I want to go on a ride tomorrow.

IMAG0012-1.jpg

Nothing like that on a Gen II, the spacer is the stepped deal what what you have is riding on.

See break down
I looked at a fiche also, and did not see the washer like I have. It is just loose. It must go somewhere. Probably assembled wrong. I hope is doesn't go on the rear axle? The dust seal (rubber piece pressed in) is there, so It isn't that. I need to see how the rear tire installs to see if there is a washer there. It isn't hurting anything where it is at, but will eventually wear a groove in the axle.

Here are some pictures of the other side of the front wheel, as well as the rear wheel. Perhaps it is the washer for the right side of the rear wheel?

Look at my pictures and see if it looks like it is currently installed please.

IMAG0014-1.jpg

IMAG0016-1.jpg

IMAG0018-1.jpg

Yea, you have an extra part up there. Just reinstalled my front tire this morning...all you have on that side is the collared spacer. I'm guessing that the washer is from the rear...and someone mixed up parts.

Yea, you have an extra part up there. Just reinstalled my front tire this morning...all you have on that side is the collared spacer. I'm guessing that the washer is from the rear...and someone mixed up parts.
If you look at my picture of the right rear, it looks like the washer is installed correctly between the caliper and the swingarm. The washer under the nut on the left rear is also installed. :blink:

Yeah, you have something 'extra' going on. Who ever did your tires last probably found it laying on the ground and just stuck it on there. (just a guess). Someone else is missing something important. :/

Any chance it's the dust cover from the wheel bearing that popped free?
That is what I initially thought, but it is a washer, flat on both sides.

Could somebody check their right front (maybe snap a closeup picture) and see if the rubber dust seal is visible like on mine?

Maybe a dust cover is missing and was replaced by a washer?

In any event, if you do find that it is an "extra" part that was installed...I would be very wary as to letting that shop near my bike. Not very good QC if that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance it's the dust cover from the wheel bearing that popped free?
That is what I initially thought, but it is a washer, flat on both sides.

Could somebody check their right front (maybe snap a closeup picture) and see if the rubber dust seal is visible like on mine?

Maybe a dust cover is missing and was replaced by a washer?

Your configuration, front and rear, is the same as my 2006 - except for the extra washer. It would seem that someone at the dealership found an extra washer and that was the only place they could fit it. I'd take half an hour and remove it. But, it looks like it isn't going to hurt anything to leave it there until the next tire change.

Dan

I was reviewing the facts for Newbees file, and noticed the front wheel has a loose spacer. I assume this is not normal. I cocked the free spinning spacer/washer so it would be easier to see.

Please help, I want to go on a ride tomorrow.

IMAG0012-1.jpg
I would check to see if the LHS of the rear wheel has a washer under the axle nut, that washer looks just about the right size... See #19 on the diagram below. Oh yeah NEVER go back to that shop again, I don't care who/why/what, any shop monkey with a 1/4 of a brain (not even a 1/2) should NOT have reassembled the bike like that.

REAR_WHEEL.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to resurrect an old post, I found out today where this extra washer was suppose to go. While doing some periodic maintenance to the steering stem bearings, I noticed there was no washer under the cap nut. The washer I removed from the front wheel was a perfect fit. Mystery solved, and I also found the steering stem was a tad loose (could feel play shaking fore and aft at the forks) and the top spanner nut was less then finger tight. All is good now and luckily the bearings had tons of grease which I subsequently cleaned off and replaced.

When I purchased my FJR in 2006 I found when I arrived home from the stealer, that my steering head nut was only finger tight, annnnd the front axel nut was only holding on by two threads!!! That will cause your panties to wad up! Needless to say it pays to check your new bike over and to do and or know your own bike. Be safe, PM.

Since tightening up the steering stem, no more shuddering under braking. It is also more compliant over studder bumps, but now my attention is focused on how much the rear end wallows on Little Tujunga which is anything but a perfectly smooth road. I either need to change the suspension clickers or get a heavier spring before I have money (read that clearance from finance minister) for a new shock.

My co-worker brought his GS1100E into a 5 Star Yammie dealer to have some new rubber mounted. Picked the bike up and had to immediately turn onto a hwy leaving. Then he heard something BANGING LOUDLY. He looked down to see his caliper swinging around and banging off the rim!

Lucky he had the presence of mind to flop the bike on it's side and ride it cocked like that dirt bike style to the shoulder.

Lets just say he wasn't happy.

The response from the dealer was that it must've been like that when he brought it in. (!)

Needless to say, we spread the word.

That 5 Star Yamaha dealer shuddered it's doors last year. Wonder why?