I am sick - I have an affliction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
It is with heavy heart my friends that I must report that I am not well. I have a disease, and it consumes me.

I wish I could get rid of it. I really wish they made a pill I could take for it. But there is no known cure.

You see, I have FJRitis. I always want another FJR. And unfortunately, it flared up again recently. Yep, that's right. I bought ANOTHER one.

Another 2004 abs. For those of you counting, that now makes it FOUR 2004 FJRs I have owned. What is wrong with me?

I have absolutely no reason, no justification, no logic for buying this FJR. Other than I got a REALLY good deal on it - $3,000 is all it cost me. Can you believe that?

So, here it is. It ain't perfect. 60k miles. Some issues to work out. But for the price, a bargain me thinks. Kinda pretty too.

FJR4Oct20111.jpg

FJR4Oct201113.jpg

FJR4Oct201114.jpg

FJR4Oct201124.jpg

FJR4Oct201121.jpg

Bought it from a most excellent gentleman in Keizer, OR. Flew out a week ago and rode it home.

It fit in the garage along with the other two FJRs. Barely. I am running out of room.

I really don't need three FJRS. Really. This one might not be here for a very long time. Maybe it will. Maybe I'll sell it to some poor sap out in Missouri who has owned three FJRs in the past, several BMWs, KTMs, and is currently on his 2nd Goldwing and me thinks yearns for a sportier ride. We'll see.

Until then, I get to ride it and do some overdue maintenance and farkling to my main FJR ride.

I am freaking nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I hope you find another blind guy when you go to sell it. Jeebus!!!!

(Although Matt's is uglier. But only Matt's)

You mentioned issues. You mean besides color(s)? Spill!

Hey Scoot:

Thanks for sharing... the color scheme is petty unique. Love the tinted windshield. Looks like somebody put a lot of time and energy into the paint, but it sure its a busy color scheme. However, I'm not so sure how much I like the black bags... eh, maybe it's just me. On another note, one thing's for sure... you don't have to spend a small fortune takin' care of the lawn. Considering what you must be saving on fertilizer, water, and fighting the weeds, I can see where the extra cash comes from...

Enjoyed the pics.

Gary

darksider #44

-oh gads, did you notice my spelling error? Maybe I'm sending a subliminal message...

You're Not Ill. It's not just you. When mine dies, I'll keep buying more of them until I die! :rolleyes:

This is the Only Bike I ever want in my Garage waiting for me! :) But, Wfooshee's right about the Color!! :blink:

I actually like the looks of this bike, but agree the black bags gotta go. Picture one looks the best, but gotta ask, is the front fender the same color as the rest of the bike, or is it just the picture?

Now I'm not sure how you can be a good parent to all three bikes, so you may need some help there. I do offer some babysitting services at very reasonable rates. All ya gotta do is ask! :D

I usally don't like a lot of 'custom' paint jobs that I see on FJRs, but I must admit I like this one. And you all are right - the black bags don't look so good. The PO painted them black after a garage drop. Originally, they the two tone color. The PO provided this photo from it's earlier days:

YamahaFJR13003.jpg

I'll get them repainted - either back to stock Cerulean Silver, or the two-tone which I think looks good on the bags too. I don't want to put a lot of money into this bike.

Other issues? Well the ABS doesn't work. No ABS light is on, so I'll have to figure that out. Hope it's not the pump. I won't spend the $$$ to replace that unless I can find one dirt cheap.

Right holeshot has got a dent. But I can swap the two so that it won't be able to be seen on the left side.

Lots of little scratches the photos don't show. That Yamaha sticker on the right side faring? Covering scratches from the drop.

Just little stuff: Foam grips need to be replaced. Several farkles (J&M CB and comm system) need to be removed along with the terrible wiring job that go along with them.

Suspension sucks. I am not sure if it is just because I am used to my custom suspension I have been riding with for so long now, or if it just needs to be dialed in, or if the stock suspension is completely worn out after 60k miles. PO was 300 lbs.. It's fine on smooth roads, but as soon as things get bumpy it bottoms out and gets unsettled. My guess if forks have never been maintained.

I will say that this FJR has the smoothest motor of any FJR I have owned. And my official butt dyno says it has more ooomph than the current one I am riding. It is a HOT one though.

Original owner did all the farkles. He was 75 when he sold it in 2006 with about 26k miles. The gentleman I bought it from just turned 70 and decided he didn't need to be going 100+ mph any more. :)

Bringing it home I had an excellent ride down the coast on Hwy 1 that I will document soon.

Greg - You have just come out of the closet with what many of us are hiding. I too have the (barely manageable) desire to purchase a back up Gen I in the event mine gives up or disappears some dark night. Second thought 2 backups? Yeah, you're sick!

Congrats :blink: on the purchase Skooter. Paint job looks good...in a ghey sort of way. ;)

You know, if you'd have *sold* a couple of those '04's you could have had a shiny low mileage '09...not that you'd have been interested! :)

--G

Skooter,

Thanks for buying that backup Skoot for me and storing it at your place. I know you don't know why you did it...but I know.

I love you man! :clapping:

:D :D :D

Crimson and grey... crimson and grey... hmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm thinkin that bike would be a hit in Pullman, WA ;)

Damn shame the guy screwed up BOTH bags with that re-paint! :eek:

Don

Heck of a deal. FWIW, I like it better, even with black bags, than that atrocious Harley Davidson you used to own... :lol:

Looks like it is having an identity crisis! Is it trying to be a *gasp* 07 Gen II?!?! Maybe that is why it feels faster! :p

Just kidding, congrats on the new ride!

You are one sick bastage! Oh! :eek: Are we talking about motorcycle afflictions here??? Never mind.

I agree: That's a cool paint job. As for the affliction, let me guess: You're not putting kids through college. :)

And anyway, there's a name for what you are: You're a collector.

You're welcome. :)

That bike looks better in real life. I was at a dealership in Clarkston, WA years ago when the original owner was talking about trading it on another bike. That paint job looked awesome at that time.

Sorry Scoot, your just going to have to live with that affliction.

Some people are collectors and some are horarders.... :p