Madjackdog injury update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madjackdog

Reaction score
As some of you know, I was involved in a rather catastrophic accident on June 30th. I was riding south on I-5, in the Central Valley, approaching the Grapevine, north of LA when I came upon a construction zone where the two lanes were narrowed down to one. I looked in the rear view, and the nearest vehicle (actually a large Ford truck ambulance, which was out of service and had been purchased by a company in LA that takes old vehicles and restores them for use in the motion picture industry) was at least a quarter/half mile in back, so I eased over and immediately came to a stop, feet on the ground, 20 feet or so behind the car in front of me. Unfortunately, for me, I didn't look in the rear view again until it was too late. All I saw was the driver standing on his brakes with smoke billowing from his rear. I made an effort to get out of the way, but actually wasn't able to move at all before he hit me square. Luckily for me, the hit sent me flying, as the bike ended up unrecognizable, squished under the ambulance (I had just mounted a brand new Shad top box on the most beautiful 2007 ever). He then proceeded to hit and total the car in front of me, which also did major damage to car in front of it (I read the CHP accident report, and they stated that they estimated the truck's speed at 85 MPH before he hit the brakes, and 50 MPH at the time of impact with me). I was actually conscious the entire time. I remember flying through the air, hitting the ground, and tumbling, coming to a stop about 85 ft. from the point of impact. The first thing that immediately came to mind was that I couldn't move my hands or feet, all I could do was lay there. A crowd almost immediately gathered around, and I was advised not to move by a number of people. My spinal chord had only been bruised, however, and movement was restored in about 15 minutes for my hands, and about 30 minutes in my feet (the longest 30 minutes in my life). By that time the CHP had arrived, and about 20 minutes after that, Lifeflight (no matter how hard I try, I cannot comment positively enough about the professionalism of both the CHP and the EMT's). After my short, $11,000 heli flight to Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, I was pumped full of morphine (sweet, sweet, morphine), and really was out of my mind for at least a week. Come to find out, I had 8 broken bones (T-5 vertebrae, 4 broken fingers, broken left fibula, and two bones broken in my left foot. Two spine Dr's have told me that T-5 fractures are usually paralytic because of the narrow channel through which the spinal cord passes, unlike the lumbar and cervical vertebrae, which because of their flexibility, pass trough a much larger channel. The months since then have been a continuous stream of Dr. and physical therapy appointments. I also went through a bout of depression during which my only desire was to sleep and stay holed up in my room. The spinal injury has left me with super-sensitive skin, for which I'm taking medicine, and hands and feet which are somewhat numb and very cold (the Dr's say that these may stop on their own account, or they may not). I can walk, but you wouldn't use the word "graceful" to describe my gait unless immediately preceded by the phrase "far from", or "definitely not". I am, however, alive to enjoy the company of a wonderful wife and 4 kids, all of whom have informed me that my riding days are over (mindful of the monetary award, I think perhaps a Porsche is in my future - I'm sure they have a forum for it somewhere). I want to thank the many of you that sent good thoughts my way, and a special thanks to Old Michael, whom I have enjoyed pillorying in various threads and posts and who has always remained the consummate good sport. If no one minds, I'll stick around to occasionally offer an opinion or two, as sort of a "member emeritus".

Holy shit. That's one scary read. So good to hear it's not as bad as could have been. I too have had eternities of time pass while things did not work as designed. Good luck, heal, stay around!

Damn Jack.. I wasn't aware of this stuff (then again I'm drunk alot so maybe I jus fergot) Brother that just sucks.

Glad to hear you're still with us and on the mend. What is the prognosis? I would like to hear eventually you could get back on a bike..

Tards behind the wheel...... I tire of this kinda shit.

Good thoughts and prayers to you from here.

Hi Jack,

glad to hear that you are on the mend.

Enjoy Christmas with your family.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Duuuuuuuuude ! Damn glad your still with us man ! Take care of that family, bikesschmikes...no big whoop.........and technically a spyder aint even a motorsickle....just kiddin' bro ! Check in all the time....we have no fukin class at all anyway ! STay Well MJD !!!

Happy Holidays (one more time!)

Bobby

I can walk, but you wouldn't use the word "graceful" to describe my gait unless immediately preceded by the phrase "far from", or "definitely not".
It's amazing what some healing time and good PT can do for a person... ;) Take it slow, let your body mend, and work on the core strength to support the rest of your body. From the description you shared, you are truly one lucky sumbitch to still be around at all much less walking. I know there will be days that you don't feel so lucky but that's part of the process so don't push it away... feel it, embrace it, and then let it the fuck go. ;)

If no one minds, I'll stick around to occasionally offer an opinion or two, as sort of a "member emeritus".
As has been stated before, while the bike may have brought you here, the friendships are what keep us here no matter how many wheels... can't wait to see a pic of that Porsche! B)

I know a lot of us felt pretty awful about your accident and the extent of you injuries back in the summer--in fact, I suppose we all did, who read the posts. I'm just glad to hear you're recovering and getting back upright and moving. Could have been so much worse, as you surely know.

I remember reading through your trip blog after the accident, and unless you're a lot younger than you look ;) , like many of us you're old enough to have noticed healing doesn't go as quick and easy as it used to, even from much lesser injuries than this. So hang in there, enjoy Christmas with your family, be patient. Soon I hope you'll be as peppy and energetic as

. Thanks for the update, stick around the forum for sure, and feel better soon.

Like others have said...WOW!

I'm glad you're still in one piece (relatively) and hope you stick around here.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
"Still looking good" Heck of a update but I like that positive attitude! Be sure to stick around this joint, never know what OM may post up :eek:

What color Porsche? Perhaps Black Cherry as a tribute to the Feejer??

Last edited by a moderator:
I can walk, but you wouldn't use the word "graceful" to describe my gait unless immediately preceded by the phrase "far from", or "definitely not".
It's amazing what some healing time and good PT can do for a person... ;) Take it slow, let your body mend, and work on the core strength to support the rest of your body. From the description you shared, you are truly one lucky sumbitch to still be around at all much less walking. I know there will be days that you don't feel so lucky but that's part of the process so don't push it away... feel it, embrace it, and then let it the fuck go. ;)

If no one minds, I'll stick around to occasionally offer an opinion or two, as sort of a "member emeritus".
As has been stated before, while the bike may have brought you here, the friendships are what keep us here no matter how many wheels... can't wait to see a pic of that Porsche! B)
I wholeheartedly agree with the post above.

MadJack (Dawg),

I believe we communicated before your trip up north...I was looking forward to hearing about your trip. I was horrified to hear about your accident. I am very grateful to hear that you are as well as you are...sounds like 9 times out of ten, you wouldn't be alive, let alone walking as gracefully as you are. I really hope for the best for you and your family...please don't go away on account of some messed up accident, we need you here...if only to even the scales around here :) ...

Take care and have a blessed Christmas this year,

Mark from Wheaton

MadJack

I am happy that you are doing so much better. Most probably remember my accident 2.5 years ago when I broke 2 vertebra and my pelvis. I started with the wheel chair, went to the walker, then the crutches and then the cane. I am walking ok now, but it took a long time, a lot of physical therapy and learning how to walk again. I understand the depression. Luckily you have a wife that is more supportive than mine was. Needless to say, I am divorced now.

Keep up the good work!

Carl

Nothing I can add would even come close to the courage and determination that you have my good man. Like many others here we were astonished to hear that you were still with us. Now this post. This IS positive news! :yahoo:

Visit here anytime, and I say; to heck with trying to walk straight like most of the rest of us who don't have a clue :dntknw: , and develop an "attitude" with your gait. It will be your "best" revenge! Try on one of these :assassin: :pirate: :paladin: :medieval_rune: :gun: :aikido: :big_boss: :buba: :comando: :vampire: :superman: :scout: :rambo:

I'm new to these parts, I have to say incredible and happy to read you are doing good. I truly hope and pray things keep improving.

Thank you for sharing. I have thought a few times to be aware of what’s happening behind you if you’re in a car or on two wheels. You have shed new light on this for me, when stopped use your mirrors and make sure the dumb ass behind you stops.

Get well fast and a very Merry Christmas!!

Wow! That was both harrowing and inspiring!

Coincidentally, I was telling a friend a couple of days ago that my dream car is a Porche Boxter Spyder in Black Cherry

Go for it, and post pics!

And have a safe and peaceful Christmas

:yahoo:

Nice to hear you are progressing.

Been there done that and wore that T-Shirt. C1 and C2 broken on me, Atlas and Axis, they hold your head on your spine. I now have rods and screws holding them.

Went through what you did in all aspects.

I was supported by my sister and great friends and made it back. Sounds like you are too!

Keep at what they have you doing and keep a good outlook. We both could be on feeder tubes and life would not be too good.

I think every day how lucky I am and it motivates me every day.

I wish you nothing but hope and I know where you been.

Merry Christmas and wish you nothing but good thoughts for recovery and peace.