Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gospel Rider

Reaction score
Greetings from Northern California.
I am excited to begin riding a new to me, Cobalt Blue 2012 FJR.
Being 250# lighter than my GL 1800, I look forward to the sportiness of a comfortable, sleek, long distance bike. I have only had the fun of riding it the 80 miles to get it home immediately after purchasing it a week ago. What an exciting ride! I had to exercise self-restraint and forego riding for awhile, as it was necessary to put it up on stands and pull the wheels. It only had 7,800 miles, but the rear tire was the original and the front was last changed in 2015. I had it nearly back together yesterday when after watching a video on FJR wheel and driveshaft maintenance, the producer was convincing that the driveshaft should be pulled to make sure it had been lubricated from the factory. His wasn't which was confirmation of the stories that Yamaha has been negligent in properly lubricating the axles and driveshaft from the factory. I'm going to take the step backward in a few minutes to make sure the driveshaft is proper lubricated. Hopefully Willie Nelson's song "On The Road Again!" will soon be resonating through my being."
BTW, can you let me know what the proper torque is for the 4 acorn bolts holding the differential together?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1
  • FJR at home.jpg
    FJR at home.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations on the 2012 and welcome to the forum.
Technically, not a "differential" (which has one input and two outputs which can drive at different speeds). However, lots of people use the term.

I make sure the drive splines and u-joint splines are reasonably lubed, but it really isn't a big deal. Mostly to inhibit corrosion - failures are extremely rare. Do make sure that the relay arm is properly lubed. A major pain to do the first time. (A number of threads on the subject on this forum)

30 ft-lb in the manual for my '07, but the drive hasn't really changed. I use the same manual for most stuff on my 2011.
(Seems like a lot to me. Not sure if I used a torque wrench on mine or not)

If you don't have one, I would recommend getting a FSM (factory service manual).
1697572189416.png

Greetings from Northern California.
I am excited to begin riding a new to me, Cobalt Blue 2012 FJR.
Being 250# lighter than my GL 1800, I look forward to the sportiness of a comfortable, sleek, long distance bike. I have only had the fun of riding it the 80 miles to get it home immediately after purchasing it a week ago. What an exciting ride! I had to exercise self-restraint and forego riding for awhile, as it was necessary to put it up on stands and pull the wheels. It only had 7,800 miles, but the rear tire was the original and the front was last changed in 2015. I had it nearly back together yesterday when after watching a video on FJR wheel and driveshaft maintenance, the producer was convincing that the driveshaft should be pulled to make sure it had been lubricated from the factory. His wasn't which was confirmation of the stories that Yamaha has been negligent in properly lubricating the axles and driveshaft from the factory. I'm going to take the step backward in a few minutes to make sure the driveshaft is proper lubricated. Hopefully Willie Nelson's song "On The Road Again!" will soon be resonating through my being."
BTW, can you let me know what the proper torque is for the 4 acorn bolts holding the differential together?
That's a beautiful bike. I'm in Central Cal, Fresno/ Clovis area.

Might I also suggest you take a gander as the Spreadsheet of Periodic Maintenance. I had some help polishing it to its final state, so it was a team effort.