Drive line noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookst9

Reaction score
Gen 1 FJR (53K miles) when at any speed has a grinding sound when the clutch gets pulled in and the bike is turned. I replicate this by traveling 20 mph(32KLM) moving side to side hearing it best when the clutch is pulled in. The sound is still there with out the clutch being pulled in, its just more noticeable. Just replaced the bearings to remove one suspect although they had some lose play and needed to be replaced. Road the bike and the sound is still there. Removed all the drive line components and inspected; Output shaft bearing(no abnormal play or sound), Ujoint( little cap play not enouph to replace. I should here clunking sound at low speeds), Differential( could be culprit, BUT bearings feel tight with no abnormal movement from any thing that spins) there are two versions of spacers and bearings for these rear ends. Clutch hub in question on this machine has one bearing and a long spacer. The spacer doesn't exactly fit tight inside the differential as it allows the internal gear to spin. It pushes against the spacer that is pressed into the Differentials body. When all the components are put together the wheel  has just the smallest amount of flexion.  It moves ever so slightly.  Not a click, but a bend like movement. Subtle. To me the long spacer insert allows the differential to float a little. It doesn't seat inside the difs internal. Not sure about the inside pieces and the gaps they should have. There is play in the swing arm where it pivots to the frame so that will have to be addressed. If every thing tight, there should be zero movement and no sound changes in the rear end when the bike is in a turn??? Tire wear is normal. Not sure what a bad Differential would sound like if it was going bad. Any positive input would be appreciated. Any one pull their clutch in and sway bike side to side? If so what did or didn't you hear. To me the sound isn't normal.

May sound far fetched but I would say tires. Had it happen on other bikes.

yes, tires are at 50%. we know how FJR's eat tires. I may just continue riding fixing what I know it needs. sometimes it it takes a little more time to find out whats ailing. just don't want it to be far from home and at 70mph. Also, the oil was changes 2x in Differential with out any debris. 

Rookst9,

I had a strange running noise with my 2008, 'way too new (low mileage) for bad bearings to be the cause.  Stopped at a hilltop, left the engine off, rolled down the hill.  I could lean the bike to either side under me, not turning, and hear the sound well.  No chance it was engine, clutch, et c.  It was the old tires.  I needed new tires at that point anyway, so I switched to the Pirelli Angel GTs.  No more noise.  Flawless.  I'da sworn it was the bearings, but they were fine.  I'd say, with the engine off, roll downhill in Neutral, and then in gear (clutch lever pulled in), and try leaning the bike without turning, to both sides.  See what changes, and go from there.

FJRay had the same conclusion. I will give the tires a try since they are getting closer to replacement. I ride on the same Pirelli Tires. I may wait to get my $$$ worth provided their isn't mechanical stress on any of the components. The bike really like the GT's and with the new slippers it would feel like new again. How different the bike feels on worn rubber. Much appreciation for the input! Still need new swing arm bearings to keep the Wilber shock performing its best.

I thought my FD or bearings were going out too during a rally once...whenever I'd lean over from dead straight.  Found when I ran my hand on the tires that were 3/4 done--running my hand on anything but the centerline were scallops that weren't obvious visually.  New tires and voila...no noise.

The final drive is pretty bulletproof on this platform , u-joints are uncommon to fail, and unless you reassembled the rear wheel incorrectly or started swapping parts from other years... I'd go with Ray here and take tires out of the equation next.

Wheel bearing failures are not uncommon on FJR's but rarely before 100,000 miles.  I had to replace the front wheel bearings on my '07 but not until 150,000 miles.  (Rear were original when I sold the bike at 185,000.)  I'll go with the consensus here and say tires.  Some are worse than others - I think a set of Michelin PR3 was the worst I experienced for noise after they were past half life.  Infrared's suggestion is a good one to eliminate drive line.

Rear wheel bearings were loose. Replaced the 3. All put back together and waiting for to replace Perelli's with new ones. Ordered the new set today, but will ride on old set as long as I can. Any long rides and the new set will go on. Thanks All for Info.