Lock Cylinder Vibrated Loose

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apostate

Reaction score
New 2012 with under 100 miles. After a ride I noticed one of the lock cylinders in a side case had gone missing. Apparently the two Torx screws holding it in place vibrated loose.

The bike comes with a spare lock (for adding a trunk, I'm guessing), so I just popped that one in. This time, however, I used Loctite. Dealer says he's going to get three new locks for me, but that Yamaha doesn't record their locks so ordering one keyed for my keys isn't gonna happen. So when all is said and done if I add a trunk later it will have its own key. Either a good or bad thing, depending on viewpoint.

Moral of the story: check your locks.

That's one of the reasons we included it in the New Owners FAQ and talked about on this forum with regularity and Loctite. Too bad you missed it and had to learn the hard way...and that the dealer screwed up. :blink: You probably want to give them of the FAQ and make sure they've done everything when they replace and rekey the lock on their dime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep! I just recently had the screws disappear from a side bag after 5 years 7 months and 19 days that were locktited. I guess that is something that should be looked at frequently.

Since you're new, let me give you some friendly advice. Keep the original key for the ignition and to unlock the seat. Make the second key work for the side bags and future trunk. It's real nice to have her warming up while you dig into the bags while suiting up and getting ready to Rumble! :)

Take the new lock(s) to a locksmith (or DIY) and get them rekeyed to all use the same key.

And insist that the stealer pay for the locksmith, since it was his negligence that the lock fell out. The bags come new with the locks out, so the stealer screwed up by not putting loctite on them during assembly.

Well I'm sorry for not only not looking at the FAQ (I was on my phone at the time and browsing is less than easy), but for starting a wasteful thread. Mods please delete. :D

New 2012 with under 100 miles. After a ride I noticed one of the lock cylinders in a side case had gone missing. Apparently the two Torx screws holding it in place vibrated loose.

The bike comes with a spare lock (for adding a trunk, I'm guessing), so I just popped that one in. This time, however, I used Loctite. Dealer says he's going to get three new locks for me, but that Yamaha doesn't record their locks so ordering one keyed for my keys isn't gonna happen. So when all is said and done if I add a trunk later it will have its own key. Either a good or bad thing, depending on viewpoint.

Personally after you get your three new locks you may find out that having two keys (one for the bike and one for the side bags) may not be a bad thing. I can't tell you how many times I've started my bike only to remember the item in my pocket needed to go into the side bag.

Well I'm sorry for not only not looking at the FAQ (I was on my phone at the time and browsing is less than easy), but for starting a wasteful thread. Mods please delete. :D
It's not wasteful...just somewhat redundant unfortunately. And we don't delete threads like this.

You'll probably still get myriad suggestion about holding your dealer accountable. I think we'd all like to hear back that you got it replaced on their dime and ideally an apology for not doing what is on their list of things they should have done. :D