I Rode One. Holy Crap!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
I did it! I test rode a 2013 FJR! I test rode a couple used bikes and then rode a 2012 new bike in the last few days. THEN, while having my 4K service done on my FZ6 this morning I got a call from a DFW dealer that their 2013 is in and serviced for riding. Had been ridden today already. I said WHAT!? Ridden by someone ELSE!? So I started the unplanned 72 mile ride to this dealer....

I've been going back and forth the last couple weeks about another ST1300 or an FJR. I liked the 2012 FJR, but I LOVED the 2013! I can't believe the difference in smoothness and overall feel. I'm 5'9", 30" inseam. I can flat foot the bike comfortably though I will look maybe to Corbin for more comfort and slightly lower and narrower seat. Can't really add any taller heels to my boots and keep my man card. I actually got to take it up on the freeway and test the cruise control. "Sweet" doesn't cover it. The dash and controls are functional, easy to read, informative, and just plain elegant. And having ridden a 2012 right before it, the wind protection and airflow is definitely improved. Although the windshield on any of the FJRs seems to only raise to about my nose level versus the higher ST1300 windscreen, the 2013 FJR has a beautifully serene air pocket, and helmet visor up at 70 indicated is quiet and smooth.

I was surprised at how different the drive modes are. Touring mode actually felt neutered, with power in reserve, slower to build, sort of like my FZ6. I went out in touring mode and back in sport mode. I'm pretty sure I'd leave her in sport mode all the time, but I can see using touring mode to transition into this bike. In sport mode she definitely reminded me of my FZ1, but a lot more refined. I couldn't test handling all that well, but on some of the boulevards and parking lots around there I definitely felt considerably lighter and "funner" handling than my previous ST1300.

While I'm leery about some of the "new" technologies put into place on this bike, I trust Yamaha to have done it right. Unfortunately the dealer wouldn't take less than MSRP, PLUS freight, PLUS setup, and severely low balled me on my 2009 FZ6 and my 2010 FZ1, both of which are showroom, and have 6000 miles combined. I will make arrangements with a dealer back in my part of the metroplex.

Oh, I rode this one:

E7BE4B55-590F-46E7-A55F-0093D65F3A42-533-0000003441720E4B.jpg

Thanks for the insight! I test rode a 2010 last Saturday as that was the only FJR the dealer had until the 2013 comes in sometime in December. I am coming from a HD Electraglide so reading the kinds of posts you just wrote helps me make my decision that much easier. I'm working on the deal right now and hoping to close it on Friday. My dealer did much better than the one you speak of but not quite where I want them to be yet.

You should buy it. Then you and the first few owners can band together to defend yourselves against the rest of us who are snickering at what you paid for your scoot. I say let them rest. Let them relax. The world is your oyster. Take your time. Be the bigger man and walk away but leave no stone unturned. Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Remember, 'merica's bout to get it some austerity......watch your pennies.

um, jes' sayin' and nuff said?

Thanks for another perspective on the '13. Sounds like a trip to D&H might be in your future.

Happy hunting!

--G

Interesting that you think the '13 is so much smoother than the '12. My 09 is so smooth, I find it difficult to believe it could be any smoother. I wanted to try a '13 this weekend, but a certain Tosser wouldn't let me. Some B.S. about the last guy he let ride one of his bikes died a week or so later. :blink:

Or NOT....just buy the damn thing....

R
Ha ha. Spoken like a left coaster who already bought his...;-8

I actually made a deal with "my" dealer on one for $1k under sticker, no freight or prep and decent trade on at least one if my bikes. His should be in soon.

Or NOT....just buy the damn thing....

R
Ha ha. Spoken like a left coaster who already bought his...;-8

I actually made a deal with "my" dealer on one for $1k under sticker, no freight or prep and decent trade on at least one if my bikes. His should be in soon.

Which DFW dealer? Sounds like you got a good one to bargain with. Share the wealth man... :D

Interesting that you think the '13 is so much smoother than the '12. My 09 is so smooth, I find it difficult to believe it could be any smoother. I wanted to try a '13 this weekend, but a certain Tosser wouldn't let me. Some B.S. about the last guy he let ride one of his bikes died a week or so later. :blink:
But that is still fact.......

R

Great to see Yamaha going the extra distance and continuing to improve an already great bike with more useful features. I think the new bike is outstanding and would be an excellent choice to buy as a sport touring motorcycle :)

While I'm leery about some of the "new" technologies put into place on this bike, I trust Yamaha to have done it right.
Thanks for your report on the new FJR..

I've been interested in the FJR for several years now...What's really good about the new FJR is that most of the systems on it are well proven and there shouldn't be much in the way of teething pains. I own a Yamaha SuperTenere. The bike has been solid and reliable.. Not a single issue with it. The throttle by wire works flawlessly, unlike the throttle by wire I had on my BMW K1600GT. (I won't bore you with all the problems I had with the K1600, which I traded in after 7000 miles and many "teething" and quality issues).

I needed to have factory cruise control and now that the FJR has it and it's not an all new bike, with potential new model issues, I'm salivating!

While I'm leery about some of the "new" technologies put into place on this bike, I trust Yamaha to have done it right.
Thanks for your report on the new FJR..

The throttle by wire works flawlessly, unlike the throttle by wire I had on my BMW K1600GT. (I won't bore you with all the problems I had with the K1600, which I traded in after 7000 miles and many "teething" and quality issues).
Like many out here I wish BMW could get it right. They make motorcycles most of us on the forum would enjoy owning but don't for fear of reliability issues. So I bought a new 2009 FJR and farkeled the heck out of it and it is a great bike. I am sure the tradition of high reliability will continue with the 2013 FJR.

I just put 120 miles today on my 2013 FJR,# 92. Picked it up today at a dealer here in STL, traded in my 2012 after 11000 miles this summer, and I too noticed the new bike as being smoother than the 12. The sport mode is truly sporty compared to the 2012 with the tour mode being subdued! Enough new stuff that it should be a bike I'll keep for years to come. 1 complaint, at slightly taller than 6 foot I can't wait to find a nice aftermarket windshield. Color and styling are exceptional, could have used a remake on the rear half but it was sure nice to grab my russell seat off the 12 and throw it on the 2013.

I just put 120 miles today on my 2013 FJR,# 92. Picked it up today at a dealer here in STL, traded in my 2012 after 11000 miles this summer, and I too noticed the new bike as being smoother than the 12. The sport mode is truly sporty compared to the 2012 with the tour mode being subdued! Enough new stuff that it should be a bike I'll keep for years to come. 1 complaint, at slightly taller than 6 foot I can't wait to find a nice aftermarket windshield. Color and styling are exceptional, could have used a remake on the rear half but it was sure nice to grab my russell seat off the 12 and throw it on the 2013.
Wow! From a '12 to a '13! You ain't messing around, are you!

Congrats on the '13!

Nice! I bet your dealer has you on speed dial ;)

Latest posts