Getting a new bike, beamer...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the UniCarScan bluetooth OBD2 interface and the Ultimate version of the (android only) Motoscan app and it does all I need in terms of service reset, diagnostics and coding for my F700GS. If you are an Apple user, you can get a cheap used Android phone or tablet without a cell plan to run Motoscan. Alternative is to spend MUCH more for the GS911.

Edit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1262216933...VipPNIZLHTb6RxrXSAbRFixg==|tkp:BlBMULjW1ruMYw

This is the route I went. Works well enough for what I do. I didn't do the ultimate version of Motoscan as it will allow you to recode some of the sensors and I didn't want to make a bad mistake that would cause me to have to take it to a dealer. I just wish the documentation was a bit better. But, for the price I'm not complaining too loudly.

This is the route I went. Works well enough for what I do. I didn't do the ultimate version of Motoscan as it will allow you to recode some of the sensors and I didn't want to make a bad mistake that would cause me to have to take it to a dealer. I just wish the documentation was a bit better. But, for the price I'm not complaining too loudly.
With Ultimate, I was able to switch my clock to 24 hour, fuel mileage from L/100 km to km/L and tire pressure from bar to PSI (personal preference).
I also used it to change my nephew's F800GS from imperial/US to metric - his bike came from the US. I changed temperature (engine and ambient) from °F to °C, odometers to kilometers and fuel consumption to L/100 km from MPG. Took about 5 minutes. I agree that MotoScan documentation is lacking, but it does what I need.

Motoscan is what I've heard of and will probably need too.
Go by their recommendations on OBD2 devices. The one I linked is the least expensive. Many of the huge number of the cheaper devices on eBay, Amazon etc. will work to read codes but won't give you functionality to reset service reminders etc. Don't try to cheap out on the reader.
https://www.motoscan.de/
Select English from the menu (not translate by the browser)

Program downloadable from Google Play. You can get the free version to have a look, but not reset service reminders, activate sensors, clear codes or make changes to your bike. For the cost, I ended out with Ultimate...

With Ultimate, I was able to switch my clock to 24 hour, fuel mileage from L/100 km to km/L and tire pressure from bar to PSI (personal preference).
I also used it to change my nephew's F800GS from imperial/US to metric - his bike came from the US. I changed temperature (engine and ambient) from °F to °C, odometers to kilometers and fuel consumption to L/100 km from MPG. Took about 5 minutes. I agree that MotoScan documentation is lacking, but it does what I need.

Mine's a 2023 so I could configure all of that in the TFT set up. I haven't really seen anything I need to manipulate yet, so I'll stick with the lesser version. It's easy and cheap to upgrade if I need to. I agree on the OBD2 reader. Get the Motoscan recommended version. Pretty easy to use.

I owned 3 different BMW's (totaling 45 years) and had two buddies who also rode BMWs. They both switched to FJRs and I finally succumbed to a FJR a few years ago.

FJR = Finally Just Right

We plan to ride our FJRs to Redmond OR (from Minneapolis) next June 13-16 to the National BMW Owners of America rally. We don't own BMWs anymore,
but generally enjoy the big (5 - 6K attendees) National BMW rallies. So far, I've attended:

1984 Missoula MT
1990 Rapid City SD
1991 Flagstaff AZ
1992 Du Quoin IL
1993 Oshkosh WI [II]
1995 Durango CO
1997 Fredericksburg TX
1998 Missoula MT [II]
2001 Redmond OR
2004 Spokane WA
2008 Gillette WY
2010 Redmond OR [II]
2012 Sedalia MO
2014 St. Paul MN (this one was brutal, 28 miles from home!)
2015 Billings, MT
2018 Des Moines IA
2022 Springfield MO

I wish the FJR community was a little more organized so that we could have some more Regional rallies such as EOM.

Almost forgot, last Summer a few of us attended some Regional Moto Guzzi rallies (both in Iowa) that had about 250 attendees. We also enjoy some overnight camping with just a few of us sitting around a campfire and shooting the sh*t.

YMMV

1702556454598.png

I’ve done the FJR, BMW long ride comparison. still have both. I have the 2014 ES Gen III and love it. I rode it from Colorado Springs to GA in stock trim, 2 up. Likes: Power, engine overall smoothest ( compares to my 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 engine), suspension, power shield, cruise control, reliability, brakes, corbin seat. Dislikes: stock shield. replaced with OEM touring screen once home. Overall, the FJR was comfortable, but in stock trim placed some pressures on wrists ( hey, its a sport tourer), seat to peg distance could have been a little higher for me, but the corbin seat made up for this, overall ergonomics was great and did not leave you “sore” for the next days ride. Wonderful machine and 2 up it handled very well once the suspension was adjusted for 2 up and bags selected. tracked well leaned over and when the brakes were applied, it did not stand up. Very impressed with the chassis. Maybe if I nit pick a little, I could have used a little more rear shock compression damping. Stronger spring yamaha??.

BMW: Bought a 2017 R1200GSA in California and rode it home to GA. Preface. I had ridden several GS’s on tours with Edelweiss tours 2 up while on vacation and knew of the “comforts” it provided. RossKean is correct, more expense to keep this bird on the road. Parts, No available service manual ( except CD form), OBDII reader needed to reset the service reminders. With that said, I started with a bike that had 11K miles since new and had been dealer maintained by previous owner. Likes: Good power, for a twin. Not FJR power, but good down low grunt and short shift it, 6 speed tranny, shift assist feature ( it worked best when manually shifting into 2nd and then hold throttle open and just lift your boot on the shift lever and it electronically cuts out motor and shifts into next gear, downshifts work in reverse, just close the throttle and put pressure on the top of the lever and it will downsgift). I personally liked this feature, but I’m old school, and 90% of the time I used the clutch to shift. No issues. Fuel range, the Adventure has the 8 gal fuel tank. It can work against you in the twisties, but you don’t buy this
bike for the twisties, (FJR wins here). Cruise control, heated grips, but same as the FJR. the overall plus over the FJR IMHO is the ergonomics. the seating position has you operating an overweight dirtbike, wide handlebars, more upright, and most of your weight is on your rear, no pressure on your wrists and you have the capability of standing while riding (dirt bike requirement if you race), wonderful brakes and they are not linked (aka off-road requirement), suspension. the suspension on the Beemer is way more compliant than the upside down fork on the FJR. It just flat out works and absorbs big hits and the small road trash much more better than the FJR and does not translate it back to the rider handlebars. Dislikes: front windscreen overall wind and weather protection, although it was adjustable ( manually), larger screen will cure this, but does not and will not compare to overall wind weather protection than the FJR. Overall IMO, the GS is just better ergonomically and comfort wise if you spend all day in the saddle. I only during the day and only averaged about 200-300 miles per day. Hey, I‘m retired, no need to hurry back home for a schedule. Parts prices. Yep, BMW parts are pricey. But you can shop the consumables, spark plugs, air filters etc can be bought at 40% savings over stock stuff and you get the SAME plugs without the BMW boxes they come in. NGK plug is an NGK plug. After replacing my air filter, oil and filter change ( stock BMW Oil) and new plugs my fuel mileage has increased to 53 mpg. thats about it in a nutshell. I won’t be taking this bike off-road doing single track work ( my YZ450 does that just fine) but yes, service roads, or visiting other off-road places is doable on this bike that the FJR just is not the right choice for that duty. cheers everyone and have a merry christmas this year.

In the 1970s I worked for a Triumph dealer who looked down his nose at BMW riders. He said they’re all a bunch of pipe smokers that wear sport coats with patches on their elbows. Have BMW riders changed much in 50 years? :ROFLMAO:

In the 1970s I worked for a Triumph dealer who looked down his nose at BMW riders. He said they’re all a bunch of pipe smokers that wear sport coats with patches on their elbows. Have BMW riders changed much in 50 years? :ROFLMAO:
That would be the Starbucks subset of the BMW demographic. A very real part of the genre. Probably half of all BMW GS bikes haven't seen a dirt road (or worse) and their ammo can monster sidecases are used only to transport groceries and beer.
On the other hand, there are a bunch who are completely on the other end of the spectrum. Some good stories out there...

For me, the F700GS is a fun bike to run around back roads and some dirt. Much better gas mileage and 200 lb lighter than the FJR. Not a trail bike by a long shot. Bought used, it is a reasonably economical (so far) bike that gives me an alternative for daily riding, more suited to camping and rougher terrain and gives me a backup when I am behind on the FJR maintenance cycle.

Wouldn't have any BMW as my only bike due to overall reliability and lack of local service, but I haven't regretted the purchase

I recently re-joined the BMW kool-aid drinkers. Bought a well used 2003 F650GS Dakar w/ 50k miles on the clock for a princely sum of $2k.

Bought it to replace the ‘93 XR650L that was last year’s winter project bike. Then this past summer my son decided that he really liked that bike, so he has adopted it.

The Dakar came with nice Touratech pannier racks but no bags. I put a couple of Harbor Freight Apache cases on it ($30 ea.). Going over it from end to end over the long Vermont winter. Fixing all the little problems from prior owners. Will have to do a valve check before spring time since I have no idea when it was last done. It’s a pretty cool design with the fuel tank under the seat, air box and dry sump oil tank and battery under the faux tank.

FF1AD124-513F-4F68-ACAB-89CF4B9E0F8E.jpeg

I recently re-joined the BMW kool-aid drinkers. Bought a well used 2003 F650GS Dakar w/ 50k miles on the clock for a princely sum of $2k.

Bought it to replace the ‘93 XR650L that was last year’s winter project bike. Then this past summer my son decided that he really liked that bike, so he has adopted it.

The Dakar came with nice Touratech pannier racks but no bags. I put a couple of Harbor Freight Apache cases on it ($30 ea.). Going over it from end to end over the long Vermont winter. Fixing all the little problems from prior owners. Will have to do a valve check before spring time since I have no idea when it was last done. It’s a pretty cool design with the fuel tank under the seat, air box and dry sump oil tank and battery under the faux tank.

View attachment 6035
Nice. And 75 lb lighter than my F700GS. I'll take the twin vs the thumper for my needs but there is no denying that the F650 single is a superior off-road mount. I did the valve check on my F700GS and it wasn't bad. A bit of a nuisance to get at it - don't expect the 650 will be any worse.

I still have my Africa Twin, which is comparable to your BMW F twins. This will see mostly Vermont dirt roads, and has Shinko Big Block knobbies on it, but is more street capable than the XR650L it’s replacing.

I’ve already had much of the stuff from underneath the faux tank out, which is what needs to be removed to get at the cylinder head. Got rid of the old vented battery which had leaked on the frame, and replaced it with an AGM. Fixed up the airbox crankcase vent nipple, which was loosely installed backwards. Oil tank support fitting was AWOL and the hole just duct taped over. Just a couple of the standard PO atrocities of old bike adoption.

I’m betting the valves haven’t been checked in a very long time. Shouldn’t be too tough to do. I previously owned a 2000 Aprilia Pegaso, which was from when they built the F650 Funduro for BMW. Basically the same Rotax engine in this one. At least this has fuel injection and ABS.

I’m betting the valves haven’t been checked in a very long time.
How many miles? FWIW, I did mine last spring at about 50,000 km (31,000 miles) and didn't need to make any adjustments. All four intake valves were close to the middle of the range and the exhaust valves were all close to the minimum. I didn't adjust them this time. (I think that was the first time this engine was checked.) The F650/700/800 bikes require a special "semispherical" shim - only available from BMW and not locally. I would have to count on a valve check taking a week or more with mail order. (I might have to see if they can be adjusted by "sanding" as I have done with FJR shims...) I think your Dakar shims are different.

1702829172576.png

52k miles. They are big diameter flat shims. Nice thing is the shims go over the buckets, so you don’t need to remove the cam to change shims. Just make or buy a tool to depress the valve. Same setup as a K100 that I owned many moons ago. Bad thing is they are definitely case hardened since the cam presses directly on the shim. No shim sanding on these bad boys

Since we're talking about BMWs...I ride a 2015 S1000RR. I bought it used in 2016 with 2500 miles on it for $13k. Since then I've added 10,000 miles. Certainly not a lot by FJR standards. But, it's ridiculously powerful, handles great and so far, has been completely reliable. I really like the up and down quick shifter and the electronically controlled damping. I'm dreading the 18,000 mile service, but at my current rate, I have a few years to prepare. Just my $.02.

My GS is at the service mark so I suppose I'll ask, Ross, which oil you use? I'll probably use Rotella T6 5 40 again

I have been enjoying the FJR less now with this BMW lol. I may end up selling it, it feels incredibly heavy and slow handling by comparison. It's advantages are pretty much just long distance comfort and wind/weather protection

My GS is at the service mark so I suppose I'll ask, Ross, which oil you use? I'll probably use Rotella T6 5 40 again

I have been enjoying the FJR less now with this BMW lol. I may end up selling it, it feels incredibly heavy and slow handling by comparison. It's advantages are pretty much just long distance comfort and wind/weather protection
The F750 requirements MAY not be identical...
I have used the Rotella T6 5W40 almost exclusively on both of the FJRs I have owned. I seriously doubt it makes a big difference, but for the first couple of changes on the BMW, I decided to go with a 15W50 synthetic - LiquiMoly which I bought through Amazon. I might go back to the Rotella in this bike as well, but not until the change after the next one. The LiquiMoly comes in a 4 litre jug and the change takes 3 litres so three jugs is enough for four changes - I have done two changes so far. More expensive than the T6, but not awful.
I also bought Mahle oil filters from Amazon.

1702917532910.png

I suppose the S1000RR is comfortable...for a superbike. But really only when you're "on it" and moving around the bike. It's fun for blasts of under 100 miles or so, but after that, at my age, it's starting to feel like work.

Hence my interest in adding an FJR.

I bought R1200GS and Gen II S1000XR this year. My FJR is for sale in favor of these 2 bikes. Lol. XR is for the day trips and weekend long trips. GS is for long distance trips and occasional off-road. Suspension on these bikes is just amazing. I know it will cost more in the long run but it is pay to play.

Last edited: