Coast to coast in 48 1/2 hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Don't expect a lot of pictures of beautiful scenery and a lengthy discourse describing them. We've all seen that stuff before on this forum. I'll put up a few, but I'll spare you the 600+ pics that I took of the painted desert, the grand canyon, Arizona's meteor crater, Pike's peak, the Cave of the Wind, and some of the most amazing scenery anyone could ever want to see.

My story is about a dream that came true despite the fact that just about every thing that could go wrong... did.

It began 4 years ago when I was told that I have CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia). The doctor tells me that if I'm lucky I'll have another 20-25 years before the inevitable happens. But that can change at any time. He warned me that I would get tired easy as the disease progressed. Of all the symptoms that we discussed, that one is the most problematic for me. I've never shared this on this forum, so it will be news to many of you. However, it's an important part of this story because it explains why everybody that knows me was concerned about my dream: 2 years ago, I decided that I'd like to join the IBA by making a "50cc" ride from coast to coast in less than 50 hours. I was going to attempt to raise some money for the Leukemia foundation at the same time, but the rules dictated that I couldn't do an IBA ride for the foundation. Oh well, I tried. But I digress...

I couldn't make this ride 2 years ago, but finally was able to put it together this year. The family and all my pals up at church thought I'd lost my mind. FIrst I had to make my way out to the beginning part of the 50cc in San Diego, Calif. So I made plans to take my time and visit a couple old friends, make a couple new friends, and do the first part of the ride with a couple good friends, one of which, Screwball Dave, is a member of this forum. It's quite a story, and I'll start part two along with the beginning of all the pics, in a few hours.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go Gary!!

Not something I would ever consider doing, and I only suffer from old age.
smile.png

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

This is a reminder we should enjoy what we have today why we have it. Kudo's to Gary for sharing and taking advantage of today. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Way to go Gary!

I have never put this many miles on ANY vehicle in 3 weeks. I planned over 6k miles. Everybody's got a family they gotta leave behind that like it or not will not sleep well until ya return. No exception here: Mom, daughter Kelly and new grand daughter Savannah.

CIMG1221.jpg

I knew I needed to have the bike in tip top shape. That was part of the problem. This was just the beginning of things that went wrong. I had too many things to do before leaving on this trip.

Two days before the trip

I got the lawn mowed and the cars and the FJR washed, ran all the necessary errands. Wednesday night, headed up to the church for the midweek service and warned the gang that I'd be going on this journey. They prayed for my safe return and we said our goodbyes.

One day before the trip

I changed the oil and also the gear lube in the pumpkin... and bled all the hydraulics. Checked the air pressures, and little mechanical details. I contacted Dave and Jim Cook, with whom I'd be traveling from Fla. to Springfield Missouri... for the first leg of the trip. We agreed to meet at McDonald's at 7:00 a.m. the next morning.

The evening before the trip

My soul, there's a thousand things to remember. Charging cords for the cell phone, the camera, the GPS, the Sena, The battery operated air pump... plastic baggies to cover things, my pills, a few extra tools, I could go on. Stayed up late trying to get it all done (not a good idea, especially with my tendency to get tired quickly).

But at least the bike's in good shape. It's got some new items on it that should help make the trip a little easier. Installed this past year: my Clearwater Ericas and my Baker airwings

IMG_0413.jpg

The GPS mounted up, bar ends adjusted (that many of you were sure would spell my certain death) By the way, I can't tell you what a blessing they were. What a joy to straighten up my back, Gold Wing style, once in a while. I just rotate 'em back toward me and enjoy having the equivalent of 4 inch risers (for awhile).

CIMG1431.jpg

Out with the one piece Corbin, in with the two piece Sargent-- much more comfy for me.

CIMG1191.jpg

Morning of the big day

Got up at 4:30, I am GOING to get all this done. Got the bike all loaded up and ready to go. Tires pressures are good to go: the Michelin Pilot Exalto with 24k on it is ready for more...

IMG_0220.jpg

Why does everything seem to disappear at the last minute? I was sure I had everything planned out. UGGGHH !!! For example, I couldn't find the bike cover. I figured I'd need to cover the bike as I planned to do some camping out. Spent a half hour looking, but in vain. Clock's ticking, can't believe it, I'm outa time... gotta go NOW.

Got the Veskimo on and I'm thinking: gonna need this thing for sure.

vesk3.jpg

However, I can't find my bungie cords to strap down the cooler that holds the ice and water for the Veskimo. I'm normally fairly patient, but this is the last straw. It seems like I've spent the last 24 hours looking for stuff. Now I'm late, I gotta go, and I can't find those bungie cords anywhere. UGGGGH. That's it, I decide, I'm leaving without it. So I took off the Veskimo, layed it on the table, and got on the bike.One of the biggest mistakes I could have made. I soothed my conscience about leaving the Veskimo behind thinking that the air wings would probably do the job. For a while, they did, but little did I know that those wonderful Baker air wings that work so well against 95 and humid would prove worthless at 115-120 out in the desert. I had many hours struggling against the heat in the desert to ponder that dumb decision.

Oops, forgot my charger. Back in the house, grab it, stuff it in the right saddlebag, snap it shut, back on the bike and off I go. This little last minute item ended up creating a huge problem. More on that later.

Finally on my way. Of course, all the way down my street, I'm thinking, "What am I forgetting? Do I have everything?" Look at my watch: seriously late. I'll never make McDonald's by 7. Better call Dave and tell 'em to wait for me cause I'm gonna be late. However, little did I know that something had just happened that was going to make me even LATER... more on that tomorrow.

Gary

darksider #44

Deep story. One side of me is sad (with your announcing of CLL) and the other side is happy you got to live out this dream of yours. So cool, hope you fulfill many, many more of your goals and dreams.

:)

-KJ

So I got half way to McDonalds to meet up with Dave and Jim, and I hear (and feel) this "grinding" noise as I'm going around a long sweeping curve. I had the FJR banked over pretty good, but that noise was not normal. I pulled over to see what... OH MY SOUL ! ! ! My right side pannier cover was open.

CIMG1985.jpg

Did you know that the top front corner of the that side cover will drag on the ground when it's open and you've got the bike keeled over in a turn? Now ya do... My mind was racing... how many things did I have stuffed in that pannier? The tire pump, my air mattress, and who knows what else. How long was it open? Should I go back the 17 miles and look for my lost items? Where was my rain suit?

So I'm standing there on the side of the highway: what to do? Clock's ticking, I'm late, Dave and Jim are waiting and Mickie D's. I hopped on the bike, and headed for McD's. Called them on the phone to let them know. Uggh. What a way to start my vacation out west. Lost my bike cover, couldn't find the bungie cords, left the Veskimo home, lost who knows what outa my pannier, and was about to show up late for my scheduled rendezvous with my riding buds. Ever get that feeling that something or someone was trying to tell you something? Know what I mean?

So there I stood at McDonald's talking with Dave Cook and his brother Jim. I was not a happy camper and was considering just going back home. But it struck me, I'm not getting any younger, I've planned this thing for nearly two years, and I was not turning back now. Besides, I still wanted to see if I could accomplish the 50cc... coast to coast in 50 hours or less... on the way back from California. So off we went: and I would be remiss if I didn't thank David and Jim for their counsel and their company. One thing was for sure: things couldn't get any worse... or could they? Stay tuned.

Gary darksider #44

Oooh, this reads like how my trips start. I'm in and the 50cc is one I want to do.

Can't wait to read more. I had a CC50 planned last year and job circumstances changed and I wasn't able to go. I am afraid that by the time I can take enough time off to do it, I'll be too old. But your story gives me hope that I too will one day be able to undertake this adventure. I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

So it's time to leave. After a quick word of prayer (now ya know my secret) we head north on I-75 toward the Alabama border. I've got the Chatterbox synched up to my cell phone so in between gabbin' with the guys, I'm makin' phone calls. Mother, who lives with me, is still snoozin' so I waited 'til 8:30 to call her. After some explaining and some pleading, she agreed to head out in the Caravan to look for my lost jewels. So while she's doing that, I'm wondering what I'm gonna do. If she finds my air mattress, my tire pump, my rain suit, and who knows what else (couldn't remember exactly what was in that side case), what good are they going to do me when I'm a zillion miles away? Oh well. David is setting the pace with his immaculate 010 FJR. Dave is like having cruise control. It's amazing how consistently he keeps a steady pace.
There's something in the air. Hope it's not like the smell of that cattle farm we just passed. But the more I think about it, it's more a feeling than it is a smell. That something in the air is the faint smell of pine, along with that certain feeling that comes at the beginning of any long trip on a bike. It's the smell of the open road, the feeling and the freedom of being at one with nature. Free from the cage and it's stuffy, air conditioned isolation, I was so excited to finally be on my way. Just like so many of you, I spent a lot of time planning, saving, prepping, and taking care of all the little details of owning a home (my lawn must be on steroids ! ! ), maintaining all the family cars (4 in my case), gettin' all the bills paid, saying good bye to everybody for the next three weeks, etc., etc. And finally I'm on my way. And even though I got off to a rough start, at least the FJR's runnin' sweet.

Then my neighbor Doc calls on the phone: guess what he found (as he was traveling down my good-for-nothing combination of craters and lakes excuse for a dirt road) on his way to the auto shop? All my stuff except for my Tourmaster Defender rain suit. Can you spell... "ALL-RIGHT !!!"? Only I said that at the top of my lungs. Good thing I've got a pin-lock inside the visor on my Shoei Neo-tec... to keep it from fogging up under extreme circumstances. An this was one of those moments.

Then mother calls. She drove all the way to the corner where I discovered my open side cover... 17 miles... at like 25 mph... looking for my stuff. The same stuff that doc had plucked off the side of my road not 100 yards from my driveway maybe 15 minutes before mom left. Good grief, as Charlie Brown used to say.
And - are ya ready for this one? On top of 34 miles of wasted time and gas, she got pulled over by the police for driving so slowly on the highway. The officer let her go with just a warning, but I have to say I sure do admire her willingness to go the extra mile(s). Amazing thing about her generation (mom's 88): if you were raised during the great depression and survived the struggles of WWII; laziness, indifference, and bad attitude are not part of your vocabulary. She is amazing. But I digress...

I couldn't wait to get off the phone with mother to get on the radio with Dave and Jim to tell them the good news. And to top it all off, at our first gas stop, guess what I found inside my Givi? My rainsuit. Guess I didn't put it in the pannier after all. Interesting thought: the farther I got from home, the better this trip got. Ever get that feeling?

All this took place within 175 miles of home... on what was to be a 6000+ mile trip for me.

More later.

Latest posts