Coast to coast in 48 1/2 hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I got that PM from you, I knew there was something I was missing. Now I'm subscribed...

So get on with it...AND...Just you know, your hardships are why I'm such an anal jerk sometimes. I preplan and prepack everything. Otherwise, I'd forget my own head.

I was gettin' worried that now that the IBR was over, I wasn't going to have anything good to read and take pleasure in.

Thank you Gary! This is the perfect story (your story) to pick up on after the IBR. One epic story following another. Very cool.

I think I would have enjoyed having you as a teacher. I can so connect with your story.

Unlike HotRodZilla I am enjoying the titillation factor in Gary's story. Keep it coming, slowly with intrigue and interest.

If he doesn't get that next installment up soon, I'll have to write it (since he spent the night at our house before leaving on his 50cc.)

But I'm a horrible story-teller. I leave out important details, make stuff up, and between A.D.D. and senility I'd never finish the tale.

C'mon, Gary...

537890028_1369888575.jpg

If he doesn't get that next installment up soon, I'll have to write it (since he spent the night at our house before leaving on his 50cc.) But I'm a horrible story-teller. I leave out important details, make stuff up, and between A.D.D. and senility I'd never finish the tale. C'mon, Gary...
Sounds like a great time to interject another viewpoint!
biggrin.png

Just now got back to this thread. Sorry so slow. I need to head off on a rabbit trail from my story, so here's a quick thought from the teacher in me:

CIMG1439.jpg

I spent the day today with an old friend who used to teach across the hall from me. I tried many times to be an encouragement to him during his final year teaching because I could see that look in his eyes. He was a good man and a hard worker. The time he spent in preparation to teach his class was commendable, but the kids just beat him up every day. He tried to run a tight ship, tried to "put the fear into them," but these kind of kids don't respond well to a heavy hand. That's what they get at home, they're used to it, and it doesn't work real well on the percentage of kids that want to run the class, terrorize their classmates, and need structure the most. In the end, he threw in the towel, quit his class, quit teaching, and went back to college pursuing a job in corporate America. Broke my heart, but that's how it goes some times. When you can't sleep at night because the stress is eating you up, I guess it's time to do something else. I was telling him today that the teacher who replaced him was let go, the teacher who replaced her switched to teaching an easier field, and the teacher who replaced her was let go because he couldn't handle the kids, and the teacher who replaced him quit due to stress. Teaching isn't for everybody, but teaching remedial reading involves the type of kids that most teachers don't want to deal with: which is completely understandable. Sorry about all that, I just needed to vent a little.

--Anyway, back to my story. With Dave Cook leading the way, me in the middle, and Jim Cook heading up the rear, we settled down to a comfortable 5-7 over. The Cook sandwich with the turkey in the middle was on it's way to our first day's destination: a really nice hotel near Birmingham, Alabama. Dave secured an amazing price AGAIN. Don't know how he does it. Our first day's ride was rather uneventful after I finished sharing all the good news. After a good night's sleep and a great continental breakfast and a few good laughs, we turned on the Chatterbox's, fired up the bikes and away we went. The most significant part of the ride was coming into Springfield Mo. on route 160. What a road. I got what amounted to a riding lesson trying to keep up with Dave and Jim, both much better riders than I. I don't like to admit that riding at that pace makes me a little nervous. I don't like to get the Cook before the House... oops, I mean the cart before the horse. Anyway, nice part about that road: you don't have to risk getting a ticket to enjoy some great curves. All I managed to get was this one lousy picture of master carver David doing his thing on one of the slower curves. I was holding on tightly with both hands in the sharper curves and the camera was where it belonged: in my tank bag...

CIMG1466.jpg

The three of us finally arrived at the house of yet a third Cook, Dave and Jim's brother Dale. Below are the three of them: Dale and Jim in the back and David up front.

The four of us headed over to the world's biggest and the grand daddy of them all: the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield. What a place. It's huge: I mean really huge. I bought some pants and a shirt for my trip: something baggy and thin and cool. Then we headed over to Wally World so I could replace my air mattress, my tire pump, my bug spray, and my GPS. Which reminds me, there was one more item that went wrong that fateful Friday morning that I left the house. In all my shuffling and hustling trying to get everything loaded up, I also had to do a little repair work on my GPS mount. While I was working on it, the GPS (a cheap Garmin model) accidentally got scrunched between the handlebar and the gas tank. It cracked the screen and rendered the right half of the keypad worthless. So I bought another one for 109.00 at WalMart. Thank God it worked fine for the duration of the trip thanks to my handy-dandy ziplock bag that covered it during rainstorms.

CIMG1469.jpg

Dale lives in a beautiful home... I allowed him to enjoy having my incredible 2005 FJR in his garage for a couple days. I guess Dave and Jim must have been really happy about that. The next morning when I went outside, I noticed that something was missing from my bike. I just stood there and shook my head. Ya park yer bike in the middle of the garage with several other bikes, and what happens? WHAT HAPPENS?

CIMG1472.jpg

Dave and Jim got up early, and without my permission, removed every bug and every spec of dirt from my bike while I was snoozing. I was going to save all that stuff for souveniers. The nerve of them guys. Ya can't trust nobody any more it seems.

Here's Dale along with his lovely wife, who by the way is an EXCELLENT cook. Wonderful family. We all headed off for church first thing Sunday morning. What a church!! The Cooks are so fortunate to have such an amazing group of people so close to their house. Some guys get all the luck...

CIMG1470.jpg

I had mixed emotions leaving everybody on Monday morning for my next destination in Arnold, MO. I had a blast getting to know everybody, which made it hard enough to leave; but from now on, I would ride alone. Nobody to help out if something went wrong, nobody to talk to on the radio, nobody to help me NOT get lost. It was on this trip to Arnold that my story takes another unusual turn. Funny how life never, I mean NEVER goes the way you plan it. More later.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome stuff Gary.

Love the fact you aren't afraid to declare your belief publicly.

Having just left higher ed for good paying job, I understand the complexities, subtleties, of teaching.

Apologies for previous impatience.

Keep it slow and thoughtful.

We'll wait; and appreciate.

My sister is a teacher in Florida (has taught there and also in Texas for some 20 years now I think). The last couple of years was as a 5th grade remedial reading teacher. This year the district moved her to third grade. She tells me stories. In one class she has the sweetest of kids and also the meanest of kids and has to balance that all out and keep control. I'm a trainer in the corporate world, but she and you and your colleagues are the real teachers and I never forget that. Gotta be someone sopecial to do that work.

And the ride report? I get swept up and carried along with you and then have to stop...and wait...
weirdsmiley.gif

Nice work, keep it comin'!!

I have two parents that have been public school teachers. For a long while I managed a local movie theater so the kids we both had to deal with were the same age and we had a lot of similar stories. I told them though that I couldn't do their job, because if I couldn't fire them, there's no way I could handle it.
biggrin.png

I have two parents that have been public school teachers. For a long while I managed a local movie theater so the kids we both had to deal with were the same age and we had a lot of similar stories. I told them though that I couldn't do their job, because if I couldn't fire them, there's no way I could handle it.
biggrin.png
Not sure where in the DFW area you're located, but my sister started her teaching carreer there in Azle! Her husband worked for GD at Carswell at the time. (Sorry for the hijack Gary!!)

Thoroughly enjoying this thread!

As for teaching, I have no doubt that I wouldn't be able to handle it. My wife is a teacher (K-6) and even fifth and sixth graders these days might have me in jail. You folks are over-worked, absolutely over-stressed, and underpaid in a way that is a crime. My hat is off to you and every other teacher out there.

Great stuff Gary, keep it coming.I wish I had known one of your destinations was going to be Arnold. That is just a couple miles up the highway from me. We would have loved to given you a place to grab a meal and spend the night.

My mom was a high school teacher and now I have a sister and three nieces following in her footsteps. Mom always said she was one of the lucky ones who truly enjoyed her calling and the kids she taught. I know I couldn't do it. Hell, I had to give up volunteer assistant coaching my sons' teams when they were little for fear of strangling the little hellions, or even worse, some of the parents.

Great stuff Gary.

I appreciated your comments on teaching and the state of its affairs. There are not enough kids out there being raised with a decent level of discipline.

I will wait patiently for the next installment.