Coast to coast in 48 1/2 hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second leg of the trip, leaving Springfield, Missouri behind and heading for Arnold, just south of St. Louis. Not far into the ride, the rain clouds were boiling up overhead. Why is it such a royal hassle to get a rain suit on? Ya try it on in the store, it's no sweat: slips right on. But out on the road, all of a sudden, I can't stand on one foot without hoppin' around like a fool and can't seem to keep my balance. Is that another sign of getting old? Never seemed to be an issue in the past. And of course, it's so dog-gone hot out that my my whole body is covered with sweat. Trying to slip my arms into my Tourmaster Defender rain jacket is like trying to shove a rubber band through a funnel. Good grief. Finally get the rain suit on, and of course, it doesn't rain, and I'm sweating even harder because of the extra layer. 1 hour later, the rain suit goes back in it's sack and back in the saddle bag. Why did I pack SO MUCH STUFF in that saddle bag? Every time I open it, I'm worried that I can't get it closed again. Onward to my destination without the rain suit. Better call Jim. I'm on my way to visit an old friend from college, Jim Beller. Haven't seen him for 23 years, back when we both had brown hair. However, there's a problem. Jim's daughter has just been taken to the hospital and is facing surgery the next morning. He'd planned on my arrival, even booked me a hotel out of his own pocket, but had not planned on this. While I was trying to think of an intelligent way to say thank you, he volunteered to take me out to do something fun while I was in town. I was in shock. Sure it was just a routine surgery, but something told me to ay no: a dad's place is with his family at times like this. I declined and asked if I could simply meet them all at the hospital. He agreed and after checking in the hotel, I headed for the hospital, about 15 miles away. That's when things got rough. I put the rain jacket back on as the sky was looking like rain, and figured I wouldn't need the rain pants. Besides, it was still miserably hot. BAD IDEA. Five minutes from the hospital, someone opened up the sky like one of those pop-n-fresh containers that ya pop on the edge of the counter to let the Pillsbury Dough boy out. I mean, it exploded. One minute later, my rain jacket did it's job, but my blue jeans, my wallet, my cell phone and etc. were all totally soaked. Getting off the bike at the hospital was nuts. It was raining sideways. I slogged slowly up to the hospital carrying one of my saddlebags with my dry clothes in it. Walking into the hospital I was amazed at the amount of water that dripped off of me as I stood there in the midst of all the dry people staring at me. I headed for the nearest bathroom.

Better hold on to your hat, here's where it gets good.

I took off all my clothes and dried myself off with about 900 paper towels, patiently waiting for each to come out of the motion sensor equipped dispenser. Then I opened up the panier from the bike to get out my dry clothes. Pause for effect here: OH MY SOUL. What have I done? I brought in the wrong pannier !!!! So I started: "You lughead. You meat-head. What's the matter with you?" Anyway, gave myself a good lecture while I slowly and painfully put all my clothes back on. And would somebody please explain to me WHY hospitals have to be so cold? I had goosebumps on my goosebumps. I headed back out of the bathroom and back outside to the bike to get the correct pannier. It was still raining like all get-out. Uggh. Back into the hospital, heading again for the same bathroom.

Fasten your seat belt. You're not going to believe this:

The security guard, who has watched all this transpire from his office, says, "Sir would you come with me please?" I'm thinking, "Great. Now I'm in trouble for turning the floor into Niagra Falls and making a mess in the bathroom." Then he says, "Are these yours?" He holds up my cell phone, my wallet, etc. - all the stuff that I took out of my wet pockets earlier. Apparently, I left it all on the counter in the bathroom. "Uh, yes," I said, sheepishly. I never felt so thankful. What would I have done without them? I was a thousand miles from home. What if someone stole them? I asked, "How did..." He cut me off saying, "We found them after you left." Anyway, back in the bathroom, another 900 towels, and, and, and...

I'm not making this up. I promise you this is exactly what happened.

I forgot to mention that I placed all my reclaimed stuff in the sink while I got dried off and dressed. Seemed like it took so long to get all this done. There were a couple people who'd knocked on the door while I was in there. I said "Just a minute..." and imagined them to be standing outside the door waiting. So I was trying to hurry. Just before leaving the bathroom, I reached into the sink to grab my cell phone and wallet. And as soon as I did, the automatic sensor turned on the water. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! My cell phone was already wet, but now it was totaled. Ever wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg? I must have been working on solving that dilemma there in the bathroom, because I think I laid one. Anyway, I found myself struggling to maintain some composure.

Out of the bathroom, back out to the parking lot (it had stopped raining, thank God) put the pannier back on the bike, and finally... off to find the proper waiting room. Jim and his lovely wife Vicky were there and we had a wonderful reunion and a good laugh about the whole scenario that I just confessed to you fine fellers. Up to the hospital room, met his daughter who wasn't even born the last time I saw them, and sat quietly while daddy prayed for his little girl. By the way, his daughter made it through the surgery the next day just fine. After a great visit, I headed back to the hotel room to:

CIMG1474.jpg

-- hang my wet stuff all over the room in hopes that it would dry overnight. They did, and after breakfast with Jim, I headed on my way a little earlier than planned as he headed back up to the hospital to be with his family. What a great guy. Jim is the pastor of the Arnold Baptist Tabernacle there in Arnold. They don't come any better than that guy. Glad his daughter made out OK.

Oh yeah, you were wondering about my phone.

36 hours in a bag of rice, and it came back to life.

CIMG1475.jpg

However, there were a lot of people calling me during that time worrying about how I was doing. Glad the phone came back to life. 10am and headed for Omaha Nebraska for the next leg of my trip.

Stayed tuned .

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, looking forward to reading more..

Holy crap, yer killin' me!! I read this to my wife and we're both dying, lol. I'm glad the phone came back to life. :)

Him and Redfish Hunter are off my list of riding partners. Redfish admits that he brings rain with him, and gary brings all the rest of the bad luck. The two of them would have a miserable ride together!
biggrin.png

Third leg of the trip: on my way to Omaha. Forgot to mention that I put the Chatterbox away and installed my new Sena SMH10. Was working flawlessly with a bluetooth connection to my iPod and another BT connection to my cell phone. However, every once in a while, it had a glitch: the iPod connection started to fade in and out, more and more rapidly until finally, after a minute or two, it disconnected. Turning it off and on again fixed the problem, but what's with this? I just bought it in late May. Do they all do this? Anyway, except for that occasional annoyance, the trip was routine.

Finally arrived at my buddy Ken Largent's place in Omaha after about a 9 hour ride:

CIMG1494.jpg

On April 9th, nearly every home within a certain section of the city suffered one of the worst hail storms on record. Ken's brand-new F150 was in the shop when I arrived, and the roof on the house was scheduled to be replaced very shortly. You can't see it in the pic, but his roof is destroyed. I didn't believe it, looking at it from the road, so he chased me up a ladder and we looked it over. He was right. Never saw that kinda damage before... just from hail. Anyway, Ken was doing some light construction work, taking care of a list of home repairs with a contractor pal. I tagged along, and strapped on a tool belt to help out. My assignment as to cut and install new trim on a door replacement that they just finished up. Didn't take me long to accidentally shoot a finish nail into my thumb just below my fingernail. Amazing how hard it was to pull the dumb thing out. I wiped off the blood and finished the job. I didn't make any money that day, but did learn something. Remember that finish nails don't always go where you point them. What a klutz. All the times I lectured my hired helpers years ago to be careful with nail guns, and what do I go and do? Can you spell DUHHH??? Hurt like all-get-out for a couple days, but I got the job done. Told Ken I jammed a nail in my thumb, but never told him HOW. We'll call that our little secret... fair enough?

Below is a pic of Ken, his wife (bottom row, center) and their family. Last time I saw them, they had two kids maybe one and three years old... and Ken had hair. How time flies. Look at all them grandkids...

CIMG1493.jpg

So, after several days of hanging with Ken, I headed out for Colorado Springs to head up to the top of Pike's Peak. But on the way there, I drove through a huge windmill farm. The generating head is like the size of a bus (my best guess).

CIMG1497.jpg

I'm not exaggerating when I say that just about as far as the eye could see in every direction, you could see these stately machines slowly churning in the wind.

CIMG1499.jpg

Not sure how tall they are, perhaps 100 feet at the center. This stretch led me to a situation where I found myself praying that I could successfully make it to the next gas station. I remember looking down at the gauge when I passed a gas station. The price was a little high, and the go juice was down to about 1/4 tank. I thought, NAAA. Them fools can keep their gas at THAT PRICE... Again, DUMB DECISION. You know what they say, hind-sight is 20/20. Anyway, when I finally pulled into the gas station, this is what my read-out had to say:

CIMG1503.jpg

I ran 35.5 miles into my reserve. Granted, I only went 244 miles, but my Gen 1 was only got about 39 1/2 mpg overall on this trip. That was cutting it close. Way too close. Glad I didn't end up having to push the beast in that heat. Don't know about you guys, but I get real nervous taking chances like that. Once again, I was a very fortunate feller. It was beginning to occur to me that I was escaping disaster again and again. Though I had my share of problems and difficulties, just about every one of them could have been far worse. Later that day, I ended up at at a KOA campground about 40 miles east of Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs. That's where I met a fella who was riding his bike across the country. However, it was not a motorcycle. It was a bicycle. And I thought I was suffering with the heat. Listening to that young fella tell his story made me realize that I didn't have it bad at all. Made me a little embarrassed to have been groaning about the heat that I'd had to put up with thus far on the trip. However, speaking about heat, I had no idea what was in store for me in the next few days.

Don't touch that dial...

Gary

darksider #44

You're killin' me with this. I would freak out if I had all those problems. This is why I'm such an anal jerk sometimes...I gotta have a plan and a backup plan.

You have me rolling over here...So get on with it.

You're killin' me with this. I would freak out if I had all those problems. This is why I'm such an anal jerk sometimes...I gotta have a plan and a backup plan.

Is that like having a backup post in case your first one doesn't work?
biggrin.png

Is that like having a backup post in case your first one doesn't work?
biggrin.png
Hell this is the FJR forum where if you are impatient, click the post button many times, and your back up is complete!
smile.png

FWIW, I would ride with Gary anywhere. He may be a doofus, but he is an honest doofus. At least if he rode with me he would need that damned rainsuit.

Gary, you know that if you would just go ahead and cuss a little it might improve things.

I am loving this. I admire you for your honesty, your faith, and your determination. I also hope Zilla choked some sense into your goofy ass cuz you need a little adult supervision!

After waiting for a half hour just to get INTO the KOA campground, I was told to set up my tent at site #6 where there was a wall erected to protect it from the wind. So of course, in keeping with the track record I've already established throughout this thread, I pitched my tent...

CIMG1505.jpg

At the wrong site. This one had electricity. OOPS. I had to apologize to the lady that signed me in and took my money. Maybe I shouldn't have felt so bad because 28 bucks is a little steep for a crooked fence and a patch of sand. I mean, somebody's makin' a nice profit. Why can't they go a little easier on guys with a tent? But, the lady said it was fine, she'd already corrected her records and I could stay. By the way, it was indeed seriously windy. No wonder that area was loaded with windmills.

One of the coolest sights that day: a truck carrying a windmill blade. The truck had no "bed" or trailer, only this big, honkin' blade. The blade was about 80 feet long, was strapped to a gismo on the back of the truck, and had an 8 wheel mini trailer holding up the rear. I was told that this rear trailer was steered by radio control from a tow vehicle behind the truck. How about that? Here's a sample picture from the net, but not the actual one I saw:

100_0444.jpg

So I headed off in search of mountains, specifically, Pike's Peak. I took note that I could actually see it off in the distance at about 40 miles away. Once I got near it, I took a detour to see the Cave of the Wind:

CIMG1537.jpg

Stalagtites, stalagmites, a cool story of how some kids out hikin' found it... I took a slew of pics, but as I promised earlier, I won't waste your time with all that. Google it: their pics are better than mine anyway. Then almost to Pike's Peak I came across the Garden of the gods. Had to ride through to see the beautiful formations for sure:

CIMG1514.jpg

I had to wait there in line behind three women who wanted to take what seemed like a zillion pictures of themselves in front of this marker. Good grief. How many do ya need, ladies? So I took a picture of my girl too. Just before heading off to Pike's Peak, I couldn't resist taking a pic of this:

CIMG1525.jpg

What you might not notice is the fact that I'm illegally parked, and cars were zooming by on both sides. As a matter of fact, I almost got my but run over taking this picture as I'm standing in the middle of the road. I'm sure someone looked at me thinkin' "...Stupid tourists..." Thought for the day: aren't ya glad you can't actually read people's minds? I'd rather ththink that everybody has a genuine smile and that all is right with the world today.

And finally onward up to Pike's Peak. This is what I actually came to see. It was 1977 the first and only time I saw it. I remember riding to the top with my bride on our honeymoon in my '71 350 Camaro. The road near the top was gravel back then, and it was amazing that such a powerful engine couldn't spin the tires, even in first gear, in the thin air up there. Did you know that there's a mandatory check point about half way down for inspectors to check yer brakes? Years ago, they made me sit on the side of the road for a half hour before I could continue downhill. I had smoked my brakes. This time however, no such problem. He took one look at the FJR and said, "Go ahead, we don't need to check those..." HMMM.

Looking back over the road I just climbed:

CIMG1571.jpg

Below, these trees are full grown. They're right near the top of the tree line. They're about 5 ft. tall, and this is as big as they'll ever get. They're not only short, they're unusually fat and stocky for their size. Hmmm... I think I just had another "Ahaa" moment: I'm just a shade under 5'8". Maybe that explains why I look the way I do... Garsh, I've learned sooo much on this trip (there ya go Redfish, that's the best one I could find in my vocabulary for ya)

CIMG1586.jpg

Looking again at those trees above, I've often said in my prayers, "You are the air that I breathe." Looking at creation, I realize what happens to life without that air. It becomes gnarly, stunted, and deformed. So glad the one who made all this reached down one day and rescued my deformed life.

Below, finally, I reached the summit at 14,100 feet. The FJR ran very well considering, and still sported some pretty good power, unlike my Camaro those many years ago. The FJR computer, just like the rest of the bike, seems to adjust to just about anything. I think sometimes we forget how fortunate we are to live in this day and age. What a machine !!!

CIMG1575.jpg

It was pretty cool up there, and the oxygen was really thin. My lungs were working pretty hard just to enable me to walk around. The view up there is amazing. Needless to say, the camera does this scenery no justice at all.

Coming down the mountain, engine braking was all I needed most of the time, however slow moving cars and double yellow lines were a pain, as you can imagine. Since it's illegal to pass them, I just pulled over, took some more pictures and waited for them to get a few minutes ahead of me.

I was impressed that they put out the Pike's Peak hay bales on every corner just for me until I learned that they'd just had a huge hill climb race a couple days before... I just missed it. Bummer again.

Funny how my ears never bother me going up, but going down is a different story. Had to stop at a little 50's era ice cream shop on the way down (I'm not complainin') to give my ears a chance to equalize. So that was it: time to head for Albuquerque to see if I can meet HotRodZilla.

Don't even THINK about missing the next post...

Gary

darksider #44

I didn't really expect to get to meet AJ, alias HotRodZilla, and if I recall correctly, I didn't contact him until the morning of the day I was to pass by through Albuquerque. There were a bunch of guys from the forum that I'd hoped to meet, but very few responded to my forum notification that I was headed out west CLICKY. Too busy ridin' I guess.

In keeping with my track record for this trip, wouldn't you know that I passed through Albuquerque and headed west... BEFORE I had heard from AJ, and I'm thinking that I'd forgotten exactly what city he lived in. Rabbit trail: one day years ago, my dad looked at me after I forgot something AGAIN, and said, "It don't get no better, son..." Gee, thanks dad. Anyway, my sights were set on Hoover Dam. But I was so hot and miserable I decided to take an early stop at a McDonald's. From there, I checked the weather, fueled the bike, ate a couple dollar menu samiches (like that spelling?), and checked for any forum replies to my notification. Looking at my watch, I was fuming at myself for wasting so much time, because I wanted to get as close as possible to Hoover Dam before crashing out for the evening. Thinking back, I don't recall if I was contacted by AJ through the forum or by phone (my CRS disease --- that last word is "stuff" in my vocabulary), but there at McDonald's, I found myself on the phone with him. Had I not stopped at McD's, I would have been so far past his house by the time I heard from him that I'm NOT sure I would have made the decision to turn back. Anyway, on the phone, he explained that I was about 40 minutes PAST his house. So it was decision time. Spend an extra 8 bucks for gas and lose close to a day of time and go back, or continue on? HMMM. He spoke of his brother being in town to visit, and that I could meet his wife and three girls. HMMM... did he just say something about a REAL dinner and a REAL bed? Should I call Radio Howie for some advice? Maybe some of the other guys on the forum? But then I thought... even if all your guys were right about Zilla, at least I could hang out with his brother. And little girls usually turn out to be more like their mom, right? Since I was less than a day's journey from Las Vegas, I tossed the dice, and headed back for Albuquerque.

Gotta run to the hospital to visit my Aunt who's facing surgery today

More later

Gary

darksider #44