TPS Parts Availability

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
My FJR has been at the dealer for three weeks. For the past week the dealer has said the delay is due to the difficulty in getting the parts needed for the TPS recall repair.

Has anyone else recently experienced a delay in getting parts for the TPS repair?

My dealer informed me that there is a backorder in the TPS repair parts. Dont know how long the wait is, or what parts are back ordered though.

Only one part is required for the TPS recall service -- the TPS. The new and improved TPS comes with a new shaft seal in the same box.

i had heard unsubstantiated rumors. when the service writer suggested i bring the bike by and leave it (first come, first served) i declined their generous offer. instead i called weekly until they had the kits in before scheduling an appointment. it took about 2 months for them to have (spare?) kits. in the mean time, i had my bike to ride. it took a couple of days to get the bike back, but that was mostly due to their being closed for holidays, etc.

That's a bummer for sure. Similar stuff has been reported previously. Also previously, advice has been not to bring your bike to a dealer unless they already have the new TPS *in stock*. Hope you live in a cold place where you wouldn't be riding anyways.

It's not surprising there is a shortage of them, there were a lot of bikes (and not just FJRs) covered under the recall. You would figure there would be some supply issues.

Me, I ain't changing mine. Too many reports of FJRs that run worse after the swap. Mine exhibits none of the recall characteristics, so why fix what ain't broke?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was concerned about the same problem leaving and waiting for the TPS install. Instead, I called all local dealers to see if the part was in and then had a local install TPS on a Saturday while I waited. Took all about 40 minutes.

I notice no difference after the TPS install and it ran fine before the install. They said if Yamaha does not ask for the old TPS back, I could come pick it up as a spare.

In other posts I've considered the TPS replacement to be very low risk.

* raise the tank
* use a short arm 90° wrench to remove 2 screws
* be sure to seat the new shaft seal
* get the adjustment somewhat close
* lower the tank
* done
But, now that I think about it, there are probably some 'mechanics' that will pull the FI rail to access the TPS. This adds another whole world of possible things to go wrong. Removing the FI rail is an unnecessary risk. Those of you still waiting to have your TPS done may want to check and see what your dealer's battle plan is.

Thanks for the responses; my main purpose in asking the question was to see if I'm being jerked around by the dealer. From the responses here it is not entirely clear whether I'm being jerked around or there is a legitimate supply issue.

By the way, I didn't take the bike in just for the TPS. It was due for some major service (52,000 mile valve check, etc) and I figured I would just have them do the TPS while they had it. I had planned on being without the bike for the holidays but now the holidays are over and I'm not happy the bike isn't ready. Today I had to commute in my cage with the crappy SoCal traffic.

Took 4 weeks to get my replacement TPS. But, I didn't leave the bike at the dealer. He ordered the part and, when it came in, I scheduled the service. Bike ran fine before the change and runs fine after as well.

Took 4 weeks to get my replacement TPS. But, I didn't leave the bike at the dealer. He ordered the part and, when it came in, I scheduled the service. Bike ran fine before the change and runs fine after as well.
I don't doubt this would be the scenario for all but a few-mine was the same way. This will be like the tic-a few problems will taint the lot, and rampant fear up and down the ranks will be the result. Not to diminish the experience of those with screwed up ones out there-but the minority, not the majority, will determine how people approach this recall.

I don't doubt this would be the scenario for all but a few-mine was the same way. This will be like the tic-a few problems will taint the lot, and rampant fear up and down the ranks will be the result. Not to diminish the experience of those with screwed up ones out there-but the minority, not the majority, will determine how people approach this recall.

The difference is that it doesn't cost Yamaha as much so they are willing to cough up the money to fix this problem. Always a cost analysis issue!

When I dropped by the dealer in Lynnwood, WA and asked about getting the TPS so that I could do the install the parts guy just went in back and got one for me. I gave them my VIN so that they could count mine "recalled" and walked out with the new TPS. Haven't installed it yet though.

I don't doubt that they charged Yamaha for a full install but I got my part.

I think that Yamaha punched a mark of some sort on the Compliance plate to confirm that the recall has been completed. There does seem to ba a bit of a wait in getting parts as this recall includes FZ-6's and the like.

I took my bike in for the valve check at 24k, plus lots of check this, lube that, adjust this. At the end of the conversation with the service writer I said, "Oh yeah, I got this letter about a TPS or some such, can you handle this for me too ?"

Got the bike back a day later, all done, every item taken care of including the TPS. Cost was lower than estimate because the TPS work helped defray some of the other costs. Just lucky I guess.

I called my dealer about 3 weeks ago. They ordered the part it came in last week and I took the bike in a Tuesday to it installed. To my amazement it only took the tech about 40 minuites to install it. Seems he cut down one of his tools so he could get to the TPS without taking a bunch of stuff off.

Picked up my bike this afternoon and the dealer came clean with the whole story. There were a couple of reasons for the slow service but the bottom line on the TPS was that the TPS part ordered by the dealer for my bike was put on another bike. By the time they realized what had happened to the part and ordered another TPS for my bike the New Years holiday shut down the warehouse early and of course they were closed on Monday.

Doesn't make me happy but it is a reasonable story and the dealer owned up to their mistake. By the way the bike seems to run better than when I took it in. Only one exhaust valve on the number one cylinder was out of spec (it was a little tight).

It took the Yamaha dealer in Folsom (California) one week to order and receive the TPS unit. My '04 FJR goes in next week to have it installed.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

My dealer has a TPS shortage too. Maybe he's just lazy? Seems like a high liability in the unlikely event that someone crashes because of a faulty TPS, now that it is an actual recall.