A Free Weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
So the wife is going to be out-of-town for the weekend, and I started making up "Fanciful Plans" on how I would spend my time.

The most fanciful was staying in my jam-jams and having beer for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Then I learned my canyon cages and bag guards will be delivered on Friday, and my turn signal LED (for my mirrors) should also be here. That means I get to spend some quality garage time without the wife bugging me to "go for a ride."

I've also been meaning to pull the tupperware, as I may have caused some damage to the mirror mounts when I dropped Lady Feej, so I've got me a nice little project list for Saturday.

Sometimes it's nice just to take the time and turn some wrenches. I'm excited.

OK--I started this evening, and now I realize I need a little assistance.

Is anyone free tomorrow?

I prefer to turn my own wrenches, but here are just enough things I don't know that I'm having problems working.

"Turn signal led"?

Any chance you can elaborate on this? I'm looking to add some kind of led turn signals that can be seen from the mirrors.

Thanks

The LEDs didn't show up, so I'm just working (or rather having problems working) on the canyon cage and bag guards.

I've purchased two 4.5" amber flexible LED strips that I'm going to mount on the mirrors. I plan on positioning them on the top of the mirror, so both myself and other vehicles can see the signals.

So after a beer and some tacos a:

Progress Report: Bag guards installed.

I'm still having problems removing the hardware for the initial stages of canyon cage installation.

I am surprised that you haven't gotten a response from a local to come over and help out.

I don't know anything about the Canyon Cages and I have a Gen 1 FJR, so I can't really tell you much. I do know that on my '05 I don't need to remove the plastic fairing pieces to get to the mirror mounts. All I need to do is remove the dash panels. There is a steel frame piece that Yamaha calls a 'stay' that the mirrors bolt to. That stay gets bent when the mirrors are hit hard enough. I have bent mine back into shape, but it takes a bit of finesse to make sure you don't break anything, and a lot of force.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "inner front panel" is the dash
smile.png

I've gotten a good deal of help in the past, this just might be too last minute.

The canyon cage installation instructions tell you that the procedure requires two people.

They were right. However, they didn't specify that the second person is needed to provide a tools that you don't keep in your garage.

Or rather keep in my garage. My single socket set, and crescent wrench didn't quite do the job. Fortunately, Dad as a garage full of tools, so I invited myself over for breakfast, and job as completed in about an hour.

I still haven't pulled the instrument panel yet, but that's because my brother in law fired up his smoker yesterday, and I became too busy eating ribs to work on the bike.

Glad to hear that you had success with the wrenching so far.

My vivid imagination sees me bashing my shins on the new "hard parts" about 40 times before I start to remember that something is different.

But that's me.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dig those canyon cages and I have a set front and rear on my bike also. I'd be interested to see some pics from that LED install when you get the time to install..