Will MCL triple clamp off my '06 fit '14ES?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey Mushman

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a '14. I'm going to transfer my Bill Mayer seat and factory top case over. I'd like to swap my fairly new triple clamp too. I'm wondering if anyone has the diameter and center to center distance of the upper forks on an ES model. I'm guessing the C/C distance is likely the same but the diameter is much larger on the male slider fork.

When I got my ES used, the prior owner put on what was probably one of the first MCL risers for it in January. As you can see, because of the ES parts the base is about half the thickness of the risers on the non-ES and only one bolt. Still seems very sturdy, no flexing, no concerns, very happy with it. And because of the design you'll notice the ignition black plastic sticks up about a half an inch.

photo4.jpg

When I got my ES used, the prior owner put on what was probably one of the first MCL risers for it in January. As you can see, because of the ES parts the base is about half the thickness of the risers on the non-ES and only one bolt. Still seems very sturdy, no flexing, no concerns, very happy with it. And because of the design you'll notice the ignition black plastic sticks up about a half an inch.

photo4.jpg
The reason that the ignition switch is sitting up higher is that he forgot to add the spacers underneath the riser between it and the ignition switch to remove the gap.

I've got the 2nd one made and with the spacers, it is perfectly flush with the riser top.

Click to open larger version

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanker,

I notice in your picture that the electrical connector on the left fork tube is rotated to the right. Is that to allow for "slack"in the wiring?

Tanker,I notice in your picture that the electrical connector on the left fork tube is rotated to the right. Is that to allow for "slack"in the wiring?
Hey Rick,

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you referencing the electrical connector for the dampening servo motor on the top of the left (as seated) fork?

If so, is yours located/pointed differently than mine in the picture?

Mine definitely appears optimized for more "slack" in the wiring loom.

Did you have to add an extension to the front brake line? I tried installing the MCL riser blocks on my '13 and it put way too much stress on the brake line, had to unbolt the clutch line clamp from frame also. Ended up sending them back as I didn't want to screw with the brake line.

Tanker,I notice in your picture that the electrical connector on the left fork tube is rotated to the right. Is that to allow for "slack"in the wiring?
Hey Rick,

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you referencing the electrical connector for the dampening servo motor on the top of the left (as seated) fork?

That is correct. If you look at the picture on the right in fjRaven's post showing the ES triple clamp, the connector is facing forward.

Have read where some have installed the riser plates and the ES wiring is near it's limit at full lock, but if one could rotate the fork tube similar to yours would be helpful.

Hey Rick,

That is correct. If you look at the picture on the right in fjRaven's post showing the ES triple clamp, the connector is facing forward.

Have read where some have installed the riser plates and the ES wiring is near it's limit at full lock, but if one could rotate the fork tube similar to yours would be helpful.
Mine was delivered with the connectors in the positions that you see them in, within the picture.

There are no issues at all with the lock-to-lock limits with the ES wiring.

However, the front brake line at full lock is slightly stretched, but appears OK. The clutch hydraulic hose has plenty of slack.

Mine was delivered with the connectors in the positions that you see them in, within the picture.
There are no issues at all with the lock-to-lock limits with the ES wiring.

However, the front brake line at full lock is slightly stretched, but appears OK. The clutch hydraulic hose has plenty of slack.
Looked at mine last night, the connectors are positioned same as yours.